• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Put the pop top up to make sure it's dry and to air Magnu after Elgrandfest.
Checked out how dirty she is and the answer is very, see attached for the bugs on the bumper.
Mine too. Bugs on the front and mud at the back 😭 worth it though 😁

Just replaced the boot light with an LED one. When I first got the van, I was messing around inside with the chairs etc and found the boot light. I tried flicking it on and off, nothing. So I ordered a new light for the grand sum of £2.49. Then I remembered the boot wasn't open at the time, so obviously wouldn't work 🤦‍♂️ doh.

Anyway, before and after pics. Should have moved the chairs forward first for a better comparison. LED to the eye is much brighter and the spread of light also much better.

View attachment 45132

View attachment 45133

The best bit was leaving the engine running whilst doing it and listening to @Elementian 18" Centre silencer rumble gently 😍
Where did you get the replacement light? Mine has been missing since purchase and annoys the hell out of me!😄

Put the pop top up to make sure it's dry and to air Magnu after Elgrandfest.
Checked out how dirty she is and the answer is very, see attached for the bugs on the bumper.
Mine committed similar mass murder on the A68 on Saturday 🤦‍♂️

I've been looking for some rays. There's a set on eBay for £500 but they need a refurb and tyres so I might just buy some new ones of a similar style
Sorry its late. I've a set that came off my Z when it tried to kill me.
If you're interested, I'll get them sorted out.

WTF! Have VW not moved the game on in the last 20 years?

£62K and they still cannot fit decent seats in the back! Shudder to think what price the Caravelle version starts at!

£62K and they still cannot fit decent seats in the back! Shudder to think what price the Caravelle version starts at!
Dear me. The fact the GPS antenna isn't coloured matched makes it look like a beached humped back whale.

Dear me. The fact the GPS antenna isn't coloured matched makes it look like a beached humped back whale.
If you combine the gullibility of the buying public coupled with the arrogance of the German manufacturers then you have a license to print money. We have a very mixed bag on our company fleet but the VAG/BMW elements were the least reliable and most expensive to fix, only notable exception was the Citroen Berlingo van, "absolute bag of shite" would be a kind description of its reliability.
The two Nissan X-trails we run have been almost faultless* over the 4+ years we have had them.

*mine had a faulty front camera, not bad going compared to our Porsche Cayenne whose rear door handle fell to bits after 12 months and was constantly throwing up engine management issues....

Or you could get a mint, low mileage Elgrand with arguably better spec, jdm coolness, better looks and certainly better performance and then throw some money on perfecting it to your taste, and then still have about £50k left over.

That £50k would keep it full of super unleaded for a couple of years :yum

That price is for a fully spec'd plug in hybrid, prices start around £45k, a new E52 starts from the equivalent of $39,000.

The Multivan is the Caravelle replacement, ie a minibus/people carrier. It is now based on the MQB car platform (used for Golf, Passat etc.) and drives more like a car.

If you mean the camper version, that'll be a California but will probably stay on the van platform, although Matt Watson pointed out in his review that the hybrid battery would provide significant advantages for off grid camping (14kWh vs a few 100Wh in a leisure battery).

And I'm not sure what you mean by decent seats? VW may not offer leg rests; but the rear seat layout is fully configurable, you can have 5, 6, 7 or 8 seater layouts; all outboard seats can be heated and you can have a table. Previous Caravelle had an Executive trim, so I'd expect that to appear at some point.

Does it offer more than an Elgrand, other than fuel economy and modern infotainment, probably not.

Is it a better choice than a 7 seat SUV for moving 6+ people, definitely.

And it will drive better than it's direct European competitor the Merc V Class which is: even more expensive and still based on a panel van no matter how much leather they throw at it.

That price is for a fully spec'd plug in hybrid, prices start around £45k, a new E52 starts from the equivalent of $39,000.

The Multivan is the Caravelle replacement, ie a minibus/people carrier. It is now based on the MQB car platform (used for Golf, Passat etc.) and drives more like a car.

If you mean the camper version, that'll be a California but will probably stay on the van platform, although Matt Watson pointed out in his review that the hybrid battery would provide significant advantages for off grid camping (14kWh vs a few 100Wh in a leisure battery).

And I'm not sure what you mean by decent seats? VW may not offer leg rests; but the rear seat layout is fully configurable, you can have 5, 6, 7 or 8 seater layouts; all outboard seats can be heated and you can have a table. Previous Caravelle had an Executive trim, so I'd expect that to appear at some point.

Does it offer more than an Elgrand, other than fuel economy and modern infotainment, probably not.

And it will drive better than it's direct European competitor the Merc V Class which is: even more expensive and still based on a panel van no matter how much leather they throw at it.
I was referring to the luxury aspect of the seats and I'm quite sure the cheapest new Elgrand would be a nicer place to be than the entry-level VW

Good points well made but you forget one important little point...

It's always going to be rubbish because it's a veedub and not an Elgrand.

:p

I've cleaned Magnu's exterior.
I actually started yesterday but run into two problems, firstly my Kärcher K2 compatible snow foam lance didn't fit properly so more water blew back on me than went through the nozzle, secondly I had no car shampoo which I only discovered after applying snow foam with a pressurised sprayer!!
So I went out and bought a Kärcher snow foam lance and car shampoo from Halfords.

This morning I started again and spent about 4 hours over the course of the day cleaning Magnu starting with the snow foam. Really pleased with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_201956.jpg
    IMG_20220519_201956.jpg
    786.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220519_201938.jpg
    IMG_20220519_201938.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220519_201853.jpg
    IMG_20220519_201853.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Back