• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What can we do to get you to a car show?

I'm happy to do local shows but not travel, it's not the petrol, I just can't be arsed driving that far for a car show, I did it with bikes 20 to 30 yrs ago and had my fill.

I think a lot members are like me, love the crack, love the forum, love the Elgrand but are not really car nuts.

I love my Elgrand and love the support and friendship of the forum. However, the original reason I joined the OC was to get support and info as I bought a rare vehicle. I read the whole forum and every download before it arrived so I knew the issues, and am quite good at remembering factoids to repeat to other members who ask questions!! I wouldn't join an OC for a 'normal' car. I don't really do 'clubs', don't do that much socially anymore, but do like social media and the forum, feels separate from sometimes feeling uncomfortable in people's company. I bought the Elgrand partly because I wanted a practical large car with a decent engine, and partly to have somewhere nice to go at lunchtime in work! I do have friends in work (I can interact with people!!) but cant understand how people can work together all day and spend time together at lunchtime as well, I need some time out!! However, I am a bit weird (maybe more than a bit...!!) so it could be no-one else is like me, just wanted to give another potential viewpoint on why people might not go to shows!

I am not that confident in meeting new people and stuff, and Karl had spoken brilliantly about supporting people with social anxiety. I have thought the posts on this have been very positive in hopefully helping members get out, but I unfortunately I am a little too old and set in my ways to change now I think!

However, more than my anxiety, the main reason I probably wouldn't go to a meet is, like many other people, pure family commitments and how we live. I couldn't tell my wife I wanted to go away for the weekend for something, not something I can or would do. We don't do stuff like that. I know people have relationships where people do separate things but we aren't like that! My wife would not dream of going to a field for a car thing, if I told her I wanted to do it she wouldn't be impressed. She is not interested in cars or car shows and would not want to do it. Every weekend is planned with my daughter's gym, ballet classes, food shopping, house cleaning, looking after relatives etc. Boring but that's life. I have a fun car to drive to work in though. Unfortunately going away to a car show isn't something that fits in. If I was single possibly would, but if I was single I probably wouldn't have bought an Elgrand!! I fully support the club and hope people can do stuff they want to do, but sometimes life is more difficult than that. I accept life's limitations and am happy with what I can and can't do. I don't do change or rock the boat, have had the same job for 20 years! Therefore, unfortunately there is really nothing the club could do, except keep doing the excellent job you already are doing!!

Best wishes to people and families who can get together and have fun with their cars, good luck to you!!

I love my Elgrand and love the support and friendship of the forum. However, the original reason I joined the OC was to get support and info as I bought a rare vehicle. I read the whole forum and every download before it arrived so I knew the issues, and am quite good at remembering factoids to repeat to other members who ask questions!! I wouldn't join an OC for a 'normal' car. I don't really do 'clubs', don't do that much socially anymore, but do like social media and the forum, feels separate from sometimes feeling uncomfortable in people's company. I bought the Elgrand partly because I wanted a practical large car with a decent engine, and partly to have somewhere nice to go at lunchtime in work! I do have friends in work (I can interact with people!!) but cant understand how people can work together all day and spend time together at lunchtime as well, I need some time out!! However, I am a bit weird (maybe more than a bit...!!) so it could be no-one else is like me, just wanted to give another potential viewpoint on why people might not go to shows!

I am not that confident in meeting new people and stuff, and Karl had spoken brilliantly about supporting people with social anxiety. I have thought the posts on this have been very positive in hopefully helping members get out, but I unfortunately I am a little too old and set in my ways to change now I think!

However, more than my anxiety, the main reason I probably wouldn't go to a meet is, like many other people, pure family commitments and how we live. I couldn't tell my wife I wanted to go away for the weekend for something, not something I can or would do. We don't do stuff like that. I know people have relationships where people do separate things but we aren't like that! My wife would not dream of going to a field for a car thing, if I told her I wanted to do it she wouldn't be impressed. She is not interested in cars or car shows and would not want to do it. Every weekend is planned with my daughter's gym, ballet classes, food shopping, house cleaning, looking after relatives etc. Boring but that's life. I have a fun car to drive to work in though. Unfortunately going away to a car show isn't something that fits in. If I was single possibly would, but if I was single I probably wouldn't have bought an Elgrand!! I fully support the club and hope people can do stuff they want to do, but sometimes life is more difficult than that. I accept life's limitations and am happy with what I can and can't do. I don't do change or rock the boat, have had the same job for 20 years! Therefore, unfortunately there is really nothing the club could do, except keep doing the excellent job you already are doing!!

Best wishes to people and families who can get together and have fun with their cars, good luck to you!!

For clarification, my post does come across a little depressive on re-reading!! Obviously we do also fit in going out for the day, holidays, the occasional weekend away!! The main theme of organisational and historical difficulties still stands!!

From my point of view, You guys are very good at giving information on where meets and shows happening and I would love to go and I will, but my van needs whole lot of work to be done to attend such event but should be at happier state by summer, and as mentioned before , one of the things that might hold people back to attend an event is too high standard for themselves.

Maybe some people are just car loners. Me myself am appreciative such an active forum exists and I have tried to give a bit back where I have the knowledge, but I tinker with my van on my own for own pleasure like a hobby. Showing off the van hasn’t really crossed my mind (not that there is much to show off).

Most shows seem to be a fair distance from us in the northeast, in lucky in that I've got LPG but it's still a hick . Also being a dog owner seems to restrict my choice of show. Am going to attend a couple of shows but will be by myself as wife will be at home with the dogs . We could do with a northern show sort of located somewhere between nottingham and Newcastle , could either be just jap or all makes of vehicle . An Elgrand fest with other makes?.🤔😎👍

@Ian1evs - just to tick this off the list, @Elementian and @Lisa-Marie are the Wales Club Reps. They organise meets and events in Wales and surrounding area. From what I know of our Welsh brotheren. they are all extremely friendly and welcoming, and have always been a big part of any event I've been to where we've been together.

@Rob Whitton - not wanting to travel is a perfectly acceptable reason for not attending shows. It's nice that we have the North East Car Show now so that we have at least one show a year that isn't half a day's travel away! I appreciate that some people just don't want to drive that far for something they are not really interested in.

@Tim C - As with Ian1evs, speak to Elementian and Lisa-Marie. They do small mini meets in your area, and will be a great way for you to meet an exceptional group of people who go above and beyond to make people feel welcome. Do not feel any pressure to have to attend the big events, we don't want that. But what we do want is for local members to build up relationships. It's not just good for the club, it's great for the members. Elementian is really really handy with spanners, for example, and meeting him might help you with any worries/gripes you might have with your Elgrand.

@Memphisto - do not worry about the standard of your car. My last E50 was a dog. Rusty, dented, scratched, paintwork was shit... you could see it had a hard life. But I made the most of it, and showed it off regardless. I don't want anyone to think they're car is not up to scratch. They say the camera never lies, but with a car, you can make pretty much anything look like a show car in the right setting with a good photo. So don't compare what you have to others based on what you see in pictures. Participation is more important than what you have. There is no competition.

And as a final note to everyone. I know that probably 90% of the people in this club have no interest in car shows. They are here for help with their car. A lot of those people love the banter and will get stuck in socially via the forum/Facebook but don't want to take time out of their lives to attend shows and events.

I am not trying to pressure anyone to get out to shows and events. What I want is to help those people who WANT to go, but aren't going for one reason or another. If anyone suffers with social anxiety, but wants to attend a meet, drop me a message and we can talk about it. If you just don't know what to expect, ask and we'll give you as much information as possible.

I want to make things as easy and stress free as possible. Getting together at meets/events is not about the show. It's not about the cars to a degree. For me, it's about the people. Getting to put faces to names. Making friendships. Getting to know more about your car from someone you speak to who has had theirs longer, or has found something that you didn't know about.

Face to face communication is so much more than a forum/social media can ever be. I don't write about everything I do in my Elgrand... yet someone at a meet might look at something on mine and say "how did you do that"... and I'll tell them. It's probably something really small that I didn't even think of... but it just caught someone else's attention.

As I said... if we can get more people attending regular local small meets and events... then more people are likely to develop a WANT to go to shows. Some of you sat here reading this may be thinking "I'd never want to do that"... but after meeting some local members, and finding out how much fun you can have, and how much knowledge you can gain, you might start to see that in fact, you do want to go to a show. You might go home and think "that was a nice day, I'd do it again, but I don't want to do a show"... and that's fine.

If you don't want to do anything at all, that's fine too. But meeting other members face to face has a long list of benefits.

To all you gusy worried about your cars condition...dont

anyone at JAE 2017 can attest to how bad mine was....

JAE 2018 I spent time repairing and then cleaning......still rough as compared ot most

But...she is mine and I love her...

as long as you get there and its clean is all we ask of anyone at the shows really

everyone is friendly and so far no negativity from other members...I usually slag my own car off and they defend her....easiest way to deal with it.#

Every car is unique....every car is special.

End of Sermon lol

I'll do any show that allows dogs in.

@Ian1evs - just to tick this off the list, @Elementian and @Lisa-Marie are the Wales Club Reps. They organise meets and events in Wales and surrounding area. From what I know of our Welsh brotheren. they are all extremely friendly and welcoming, and have always been a big part of any event I've been to where we've been together.

@Rob Whitton - not wanting to travel is a perfectly acceptable reason for not attending shows. It's nice that we have the North East Car Show now so that we have at least one show a year that isn't half a day's travel away! I appreciate that some people just don't want to drive that far for something they are not really interested in.

@Tim C - As with Ian1evs, speak to Elementian and Lisa-Marie. They do small mini meets in your area, and will be a great way for you to meet an exceptional group of people who go above and beyond to make people feel welcome. Do not feel any pressure to have to attend the big events, we don't want that. But what we do want is for local members to build up relationships. It's not just good for the club, it's great for the members. Elementian is really really handy with spanners, for example, and meeting him might help you with any worries/gripes you might have with your Elgrand.

@Memphisto - do not worry about the standard of your car. My last E50 was a dog. Rusty, dented, scratched, paintwork was shit... you could see it had a hard life. But I made the most of it, and showed it off regardless. I don't want anyone to think they're car is not up to scratch. They say the camera never lies, but with a car, you can make pretty much anything look like a show car in the right setting with a good photo. So don't compare what you have to others based on what you see in pictures. Participation is more important than what you have. There is no competition.

And as a final note to everyone. I know that probably 90% of the people in this club have no interest in car shows. They are here for help with their car. A lot of those people love the banter and will get stuck in socially via the forum/Facebook but don't want to take time out of their lives to attend shows and events.

I am not trying to pressure anyone to get out to shows and events. What I want is to help those people who WANT to go, but aren't going for one reason or another. If anyone suffers with social anxiety, but wants to attend a meet, drop me a message and we can talk about it. If you just don't know what to expect, ask and we'll give you as much information as possible.

I want to make things as easy and stress free as possible. Getting together at meets/events is not about the show. It's not about the cars to a degree. For me, it's about the people. Getting to put faces to names. Making friendships. Getting to know more about your car from someone you speak to who has had theirs longer, or has found something that you didn't know about.

Face to face communication is so much more than a forum/social media can ever be. I don't write about everything I do in my Elgrand... yet someone at a meet might look at something on mine and say "how did you do that"... and I'll tell them. It's probably something really small that I didn't even think of... but it just caught someone else's attention.

As I said... if we can get more people attending regular local small meets and events... then more people are likely to develop a WANT to go to shows. Some of you sat here reading this may be thinking "I'd never want to do that"... but after meeting some local members, and finding out how much fun you can have, and how much knowledge you can gain, you might start to see that in fact, you do want to go to a show. You might go home and think "that was a nice day, I'd do it again, but I don't want to do a show"... and that's fine.

If you don't want to do anything at all, that's fine too. But meeting other members face to face has a long list of benefits.
Hi there @Elementian and @Lisa-Marie I'm just getting to grips with the Ellie and going to use it for day to day running and overnite stays with the misses and the dog when the weather gets a bit warmer.
I'm from MerthyrTydfil not to far away. Would like to attend local meets if any are coming up or just meet up for a chat about the running etc of the Ellie. Cheers Ian and Gaynor.
P.s do these vehicles make a lot of road noise mine seems to be pretty load on the road....Cheers ian

Hi there @Elementian and @Lisa-Marie I'm just getting to grips with the Ellie and going to use it for day to day running and overnite stays with the misses and the dog when the weather gets a bit warmer.
I'm from MerthyrTydfil not to far away. Would like to attend local meets if any are coming up or just meet up for a chat about the running etc of the Ellie. Cheers Ian and Gaynor.
P.s do these vehicles make a lot of road noise mine seems to be pretty load on the road....Cheers ian

Hey :) haven't arranged a meet just yet but welcome to meet up anytime.
Shouldn't be any road noise sounds like you have a bearing gone?
I'd get it seen to at a garage or maybe pop down to us an @Elementian will have a look he's a mechanic an normally helps out fellow owners :) x

yep i have been to the combe jap show with my scooby its still £30 and these days you dont get to thash what you brung round the track as i used to today you have to pay to play still i might give it a do

Hey :) haven't arranged a meet just yet but welcome to meet up anytime.
Shouldn't be any road noise sounds like you have a bearing gone?
I'd get it seen to at a garage or maybe pop down to us an @Elementian will have a look he's a mechanic an normally helps out fellow owners :) x
Hi @Lisa-Marie I did take it back to the dealer as I thought it was a bit noisybut him and his mechanic said there was nothing wrong with it.....I do think there is a whine about the Ellie tho and it is loud for a vehicle of this stature...there are 4 new tyres on there that the dealer change as the original were u/s. It would be great if @Elementian could take a look for me....we would love to call over when we got a chance
Cheers ian

Hi @Ian1evs your more than welcome to come to me bud or i can come up to you or meet you somewhere totally your choice mate.

Hi @Ian1evs your more than welcome to come to me bud or i can come up to you or meet you somewhere totally your choice mate.
We come over to you if that's ok....me and the misses come over for a run...the only thing I workstulid hours and can only get away certain times.....Will try for next Wednesday afternoon or evening if ok for you
Cheers Ian and Gaynor

We come over to you if that's ok....me and the misses come over for a run...the only thing I workstulid hours and can only get away certain times.....Will try for next Wednesday afternoon or evening if ok for you
Cheers Ian and Gaynor
Yeah no worries we'll hopefully see you then :) gives me chance to get another members car fixed as well.

Back