• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What can we do to get you to a car show?

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Okay, so from an organisers point of view, even though the club is growing at an exponential rate, we are finding it harder each year to drum up interest in going to shows and events.
What can WE do (as in, the organisers) to get you guys to come along to more stuff? What is it that puts you off these events?

Car shows are not a bunch of chavs revving their engines and doing burn outs. These are static events (ie you drive in, park your car up, and leave it there until you go home). They are a great way to get to meet and spend a good amount of time with fellow enthusiasts, not just of the Elgrand, but of the car scene in general. They are a great place to go to get ideas for things to do with your own car. Again, doesn't have to be Elgrand related. I saw a modification in a Honda bB in 2018 that I want to replicate in the Elgrand. Seeing so many other cars and so many other people's individual takes on things gives you food for thought when it comes to planning what you want to do. And the biggest advantage, for me anyway, is the social aspect. Getting to spend a weekend with a fantastic group of people, BBQ, a few drinks, and a really really good laugh.

Now I know that not everyone here is going to be interested in this sort of thing, so I don't want people to feel pressured. But for those of you who think "I fancy that"... but never actually go... what can we do to get you to change your mind?

The factors I can think of are:
  • Distance - this is a biggie for most Elgrand owners, especially when it comes to the shorter shows (1 day show, no camping). It's a long way to go, and a big expense, for one day. I did Jap Fest in 2018, there and back in a day and it killed me. I can fully appreciate this. 1 day shows that do not offer camping should be kept for local members, unless someone happens to be passing and arranged to camp/stay over locally). Overnight shows, however, break this up at least.
  • Expense - Some of the bigger shows can be costly (up to £50 a ticket). And when it comes to buying 2 tickets, then taking into account travelling costs, food, drink etc... you can easily be seeing bills of over £200 for a car show.
  • Lack of understanding - There has always been this aura around car enthusiasts... of chavs in car parks for example. People don't think they'll "fit in". A car show is what YOU make of it. There is no burnouts and doughnuts in car parks (other than professional displays as part of the main entertainment, and some of the things they do are amazing!). If you appreciate a good bit of engineering, you can see some absolute belters. If you want to have a look at trade stands to get ideas for bits for your car, there are a whole selection of them to choose from all in one place. Also, the age range at shows... it's not 18-20 year olds in baseball caps smoking weed (although you do get them). People of all ages go to shows. Grandparents taking their grandkids out for the day. Families. All people, young and old, from all walks of life. They all come together for a common interest.
  • I don't have a show car - Well... most people that have their cars on display at car shows are not "SHOW CARS". They are people's pride and joy, and they just want to show them off. I've seen some god awful things at shows, and cars that I can barely believe made it to the show without breaking. Then you get some absolute diamonds that you can see have had every penny thrown at them the owner has managed to scrape together. You get a separate area of car shows for the "show cars". These are the creme de la creme. The cars wrapped in bubble wrap and trailered to shows. Your car does NOT have to look like that to be on a stand. It does not have to be modified. It does not have to stand out in any way whatsoever. If you want to come and join in, just come and join in. There are no entry requirements. There is no "shine test" done on your paintwork to make sure it's clean enough. All we want is to see you there.

I have to admit that I am not the kind of person who lives and breathes car shows. In all honesty, until I started attending them with ElgrandOC, I found them boring. What makes the show for me is the people that ElgrandOC brings to them. I've not met anyone at an EOC organised event yet that I would not meet up with again. The people here are fantastic, and are what make this club such a great place to be. So if you are one of those people who's been to a car show and thought "this isn't for me"... try again with EOC and see if we can change your mind.

We cannot do anything about the costs. But I can help to justify them. The expense of a weekend away at a show is typically around £200 once you factor everything in, including fuel, tickets, food and booze. I know that seems like a lot of money, but you will have a fantastic weekend, make some great friends, and will not go home feeling like you've wasted it. That cost is not fixed, it can be a lot cheaper if you are going Solo, or it can be a lot more if you bring your kids and let them loose at the fun fair.

I appreciate that not everyone wants to spend £200 on a few occasions through the year to attend multiple shows... and you don't have to. Pick one, and just have a go. See what you think. If you like it, go to the same show, or pick a different one the year after. You never know, if you attend one show this year, you might be able to justify it to yourself to attend more than one next year!

I cannot emphasise enough just how much fun these events are. And I've not spoken to anyone who has been to an event with us who has said they would not come back. In fact, most of the people I see at the regular big shows (Jap Show, Jap Show Finale, JAE) are all returning members. And they all started with 1 show, then did 2 shows, and now they plan their family holidays AROUND car shows just so that they can meet up with the same fantastic people and have a good laugh.

if anyone has any apprehension about being at a car show, or you have any questions about it, please let us know. We will answer any questions you have, and we will be honest. We do not get anything out of encouraging people to go to events, other than the fact we get to meet those people and have a great weekend just because they are there.

My opinion is that the club leadership should focus on the big events for the club to attend on mass.
The smaller local shows can then be sorted by area reps.
As you pointed out expense and time are factors for anyone attending shows. A lot of what has been proposed on here are either up north or down in the south.
I noticed Brian has suggested a couple of shows in the north west that I personally would like to get to (can’t comit until I know wife’s shift pattern). But there are bigger events that could be of more interest. Eg oltoun park gold cup weekend or tatton Park passion for power.
I am in no way criticising anything anyone has done but what about regular area meets. These don’t have to be pubs etc but could be tagged on unofficially to something like the piston heads breakfast meets if they are still going.

Totally agree @Snoopy11. The big shows should be led by a select few people. Not necessarily club admins, but people who are willing to put the time and effort in to organising them. They can be a real hassle to get everything sorted.

Regular area meets are what I really want to see taking off in 2019. The more people who attend smaller, local, regular meets, the more people will then feel confident going to the bigger events. They almost act as a feeder. I guess one of the biggest points i missed off my initial post is social anxiety. There are not many people who would be comfortable going to a big event with 30-40 members if they don't know anyone. Especially when you add in the other factors such as distance and expense. I know for a fine fact that if I were new, I would not be considering a £200 weekend away with people I don't know... when I can't even handle local car meets with strangers (unless I already know people there).

Smaller local meets, regularly held, will help to ease new members into a small group of other members. The regional reps in each area are those who generally attend the bigger meets as well. So if the reps are doing a good job of their local meets, and getting to know their local members. Then the local members will at least know the regional rep when they join them at bigger national events.

To be honest I don’t think they is anything you’s can do to get people to go to car meetings, I’ve always fancied pod but always clash’s with my France trips , I think car forum have changed over the years , you don’t see many mods getting done to cars or people basically messing on with ideas , it’s turned to be more social media , not everyone’s cup of tea

@malcolmyz85 - that's because people have changed. Cars enthusiast numbers are dwindling. More people just see them as a means to an end. These people join forums for help and have no interest in being a part of the community.

What is left of the community though need to stay together and hold on to the enthusiast spirit. There are project threads. There are people out there modding and tinkering. There are people out there wanting to get the enthusiast community back to how it was.

I think it's the opposite... The shows are dying not the willingness of owners.

Although why are the shows dying?

Petrol costs?
H&S restrictions?

Although why are the shows dying?

Petrol costs?
H&S restrictions?

Both. Petrol costs over the last 4 years have been the highest they've ever been. Not just that, but people are mostly skint due to other cost of living expenses.

H&S restrictions take all the fun out of shows. Music off by 10, no fires, no this, no that. But regardless of the H&S restrictions, we make it work. I think it's more to do with lack of finances available to get to them.

For my self it's very difficult to commit to these events far in advance due to work and family life. Don't get me wrong I would love to get myself along to some shows but as a dad and a husband my wife and kids come first. This all means I don't get much time to get on with my own thing.
I think the more events/meets we have the more chance members such as myself will have to come along. It won't be long before my eldest will be far too cool to be seen with dad and the littlest will be finished breast feeding meaning I will have more time to be out of the house and even bring the little un. I'm sure my wife will enjoy a bit of time to herself as well.
For now though the big event are out for me. I'd say regionals are possible if everything falls right.

People are busy, but with planning anything can happen.
If I get 20 likes for this post I'll organise Goodwood 2020.
Don't look at the cost yet (it will put you off!).
Just imagine the best long weekend of everything.
Spitfires and Hurricanes flying over your head while your watching vintage car racing in fancy dress with strawberries and beer and BBQ and music!

I only go to small shows and gatherings as the large ones don't allow my dogs in and that's the deal breaker for me.

Totally agree @Snoopy11. The big shows should be led by a select few people. Not necessarily club admins, but people who are willing to put the time and effort in to organising them. They can be a real hassle to get everything sorted.

Regular area meets are what I really want to see taking off in 2019. The more people who attend smaller, local, regular meets, the more people will then feel confident going to the bigger events. They almost act as a feeder. I guess one of the biggest points i missed off my initial post is social anxiety. There are not many people who would be comfortable going to a big event with 30-40 members if they don't know anyone. Especially when you add in the other factors such as distance and expense. I know for a fine fact that if I were new, I would not be considering a £200 weekend away with people I don't know... when I can't even handle local car meets with strangers (unless I already know people there).

Smaller local meets, regularly held, will help to ease new members into a small group of other members. The regional reps in each area are those who generally attend the bigger meets as well. So if the reps are doing a good job of their local meets, and getting to know their local members. Then the local members will at least know the regional rep when they join them at bigger national events.

I think this could be the answer. A regular local meet could be at a pub with good food or similar on the first Sunday of the month. Even if less than half a dozen turn up it is still a good excuse for a drink and a chat! I will be going to the Midlands one on the 6th.

i always liked the festival of speed before it got all corperate and pricey so havnt been for several years
nowadays to go to a show it needs to be local ish cheap camping and entrance or i feel ripped off by the organisers
oh and plenty of beer tents \ ceap booze last one i went to was a peugeot show in paris that showcased the re new concept coupe free champers from a real pretty young lady and free to get in total result in both scores car was ok as well

I must admit to only attending a couple of car shows over the years, usually by accident.
I was at the Aircraft Museum at the north end of the Nissan factory where the Vulcan is parked for an event and a load of cars turned up for a show.
I have no idea how much it cost to get in, with or without a car. And I have no idea who had organised it.
I was taken along to Burghley House, Stamford, for a walk around the grounds only to find that the TVR owners club was having a meet.
I think it was free to get in and there were hundreds of them, only a few were parked with bonnets open and everything on display.
Still a good day out though.
Sorry I don't know what to suggest to help.

I think it's important to promote any show/event/meet as if all attendees were going to that event for the very first time.

Make it simple, include links to forum resource pages/websites. Always concentrate on the positives first, list the basic event details (location, area/mini/micro breakfast meetups, 1-3 day event, free/ rough cost etc) and then list any negative points towards the end of the post/advert... if there are any (i.e. small print, lol).

If its simple to understand, its easier to digest and make a decision about :)

I booked JDM Combe this year because the post (https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/jdm-combe-2019-1-6-19.11371/) had a simple image/flyer and a link to the event website, the post was regularly updated... I quickly committed off the back of it, I then booked, I've paid, I'm going and I can't wait :)

Sometimes the forum layout can be confusing to find things at first until you get the hang of it, so adding links to 'any' referenced previous posts, pages or websites can help make the reader's journey flow.

Apart from that, keep doing what you're doing :)

I think this could be the answer. A regular local meet could be at a pub with good food or similar on the first Sunday of the month. Even if less than half a dozen turn up it is still a good excuse for a drink and a chat!

I agree, local meets are also key, it gets people out and talking, I've only been to one 'localised mini meet' but really enjoyed it and hope to go to more of them :)

Hi there
Me the misses and the dog are pretty newish to the Elgrand experience, but we will attend meets if they are close enough and we both have time off work together....I think the slow down in people attending meets are they are very busy or to far to travel to, being from south wales its a long way to go to some meetings especially has I would have to do it in one day....self employed does no good for socialsing lol.
Hope there are meets planned for south wales areas and just a pub meet would be good to get to know the fantastic people on this club.
cant wait for the warmer weather so that we can start to get some camping stuff etc together and look forward to meting people.
Cheers Ian

i always liked the festival of speed before it got all corperate and pricey so havnt been for several years
nowadays to go to a show it needs to be local ish cheap camping and entrance or i feel ripped off by the organisers
oh and plenty of beer tents \ ceap booze last one i went to was a peugeot show in paris that showcased the re new concept coupe free champers from a real pretty young lady and free to get in total result in both scores car was ok as well
@ddrooster you should come to Jdm combe, right on your on doorstep and only £15 check my thread :):)

Back