• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

We've put it off, but it's probably time to start talking Corona...

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Up to now this forum has remained pretty much a safe haven from anything Coronavirus related. I've not seem much mention of it amongst our members.

But, in all honesty I think it's reaching the point where we should have an open forum for people to discuss and share concerns. So rather than spamming the whole forum with the potential to come, please keep any and all COVID-19 related discussions within this thread.

I'm starting this off as the UK has now entered the "Delay Phase" of the defence against this pandemic. This issue is much more important than I had previously assumed.

So before we get the nay-sayers saying "don't worry about it", don't bother. The fact is that 95% of people who contract it will most likely be fine and will fully recover. The concern is around the 5%.

So some basic facts* that I've come across:

Transmission rate is approx. 3-4. Which means for each one infected person, they are likely to infect another 3 or 4 people.
The virus can survive in aerosol form (in the air) for 3 hours. Can survive on copper surfaces for 4 hours. Can survive in plastic for up to 3 days.
The incubation period is approx. 14 days. This means you can be infected for up to 2 weeks before you show any symptoms.
The virus is spread through droplets. Either in aerosol form (in the air and you breath it in) or on a surface you touch and transfer via touching your face.
Facemasks do not help you from GETTING COVID-19, but those infected should wear them to prevent spreading it.
The mortality rate is approx. 3.4 which is almost 4x higher than common Flu.
There are NO vaccines available for high risk category people.

The delay phase that has been initiated by the UK Government advises (for now) that anyone showing CONTINUOUS symptoms should stay home for at least 7 days. So this is a constant cough, blocked/runny nose, sore throat etc etc. The problem is that it's still cold/flu season, so you could just have a common infection that won't kill anyone, but as the symptoms are the same as COVID-19, you don't know either way without a test.

If you are in a high risk category, you should be doing everything you can to reduce risk of exposure. Do not attend any crowded places. Limit contact with other people, including family. Sanitise high traffic "touch" spots of your house with alcohol wipes. Wash hands regularly and use hand gel.

If you know anyone who is in a high risk category, advise them of the above and do not visit them unnecessarily.

For anyone you know who is unable to afford to stock up on essential items, please provide them with a supply to see them through at least a fortnight (a bottle of hand wash, a couple of bottles of alcohol gel, tinned/dry/long shelf life goods).

DO NOT BULK/PANIC BUY. If you go and buy every antibac handwash tub on the shelf. Well done you. You have ensured that you can wash your hands sufficiently until the sun explodes. But, all the other people around you cannot wash their hands, and will end up coughing on you and you'll get it anyway. Then you'll die with a stockpile of things in your house that others can't get access to!

I would estimate, and this is purely my own personal conjecture, that in 2 weeks there will be stronger limitations enforced by the government in order to help delay the spread. I would imagine that this would entail that those who can work from home or non-essential staff are told to work from home.

The decision to close schools etc will be delayed as long as possible as too many people rely on schools as free childcare to allow them to work. If the schools close, then too many people, including healthcare workers, will not be able to go to work. This is likely to be done at the latest possible time with the exception of schools closing individually if they are exposed to a case of COVID-19.

Of course you are all welcome to argue any points mentioned above, and you are all welcome to think that I am or may be overreacting. But I and the admin team have a responsibility to ensure that as much information is shared as possible. So if you have any concerns, news or just anything that you would like to share, keep it here, and keep it rational.

Any argumentative or provocative posts will be deleted without warning. Do NOT allow this thread to open up the can of worms that is religion/politics. Any comments made that sway the conversation to a discussion of those topics will be deleted and the users warned about the rules we have.

Now I've been imposing some rules within my own family unit as there are high risk people within it. I will tell you now that I told them. I would rather look back this time last year and have you all laughing at me for overreacting and making a fuss... than remembering those we've lose because nothing was said. Please bear that in mind and keep things sensible.

Thanks for reading.

*the term "Facts" is used loosely in this instance as these are true AT THE TIME OF POSTING. As more is learned about the virus and new information is made available, these are likely to change.

Ste

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Since the outbreak I’ve realised just how many people lack common sense and how rife selfishness is in society. My only other concerns are my Dad as it would most likely not end well for him and how I’m going to wipe my arse next week.

peter strokosz

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
peter
My wife has an autoimmune disease so it’s pretty serious for our family..as Boris has said prepare to lose some of your family before their time..seeing as we no longer have any elderly parents or relatives, believe me boris if that was to happen I will be coming for you..

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Panic buying only seems to have hit the big shops. You can use small local markets like Spar, Sainsbury's Local, etc as they still have most things readily available.

As long as you take the necessary precautions and limit visitation, then that's all you can do.

HoopDogg

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Elgrand
E51
Thanks for starting this thread. It's good to find sensible people giving sensible advice.
Social media and fake news can be very bad for the spirit.

I am sorry to hear that some of us have very vulnerable family members, for whom this pandemic will be a real concern.

I am here in France, where the situation considerably worse than the UK at the moment.
I have been told to work from home as much as I can from now on.
So here is a positive picture to cheer you all up a bit...
👇my home office (away from the kids) 😎😋
20200313_123522.jpg
20200313_123654.jpg

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
@HoopDogg - I've been watching the stats unfold daily. Seems France, Spain and Germany are all about 2 weeks behind Italy, but following the same trend.
We in the UK are probably a couple of weeks behind you still, but again the trend is the same.

Thank you for the positive response to this thread so far. As more information is released and more is known, I'll continue to provide updates and then link the latest post in the initial thread so that people can jump straight to it.

Highway Dave

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
It would be good if this thread could remain sensible, but I can't see that happening somehow.

Good luck everyone.
Ditto---- This needs to be taken at face value, we need to worry enough to stay safe but not enough to panic
The info above is excellent and if in doubt, check out NHS info lines etc, --please please don't get drawn into "google hype"
I would add that if you know anyone with underlying probs (or elderly) ,make sure they know the facts as above as I can see some thinking "I have a cold so i'll self isolate etc (on there own this doesn't bare thinking about)
stay safe people !!!

dognero

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Janet has no immune system and we have to be a little careful as I work with over 200 primary school kids.
Just have to use common sense and have a good wash when leaving work and when I get in.
Luckily Janet dose not go out much and most of the stuff we need gets delivered.
We have had staff steal our toilet rolls (WTF) crazy.
I regularly go and see my mate's dad who lives on his own, has a pooley chest and is 93. But does all his own house work etc. Even grows his own veg every year and still drives.
I have been to see him today and said I will ring him to make sure he is ok and to ring if he needs anything.
He still does his own shopping so have told him I will do it for him but like most older folks he is stubborn and says no lol

Andys

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
Heartwarming story in my local town. A local shopkeeper has made up a free of charge goody bag of bog roll, handsoap and bleach and delivered it to local pensioners.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Heartwarming story in my local town. A local shopkeeper has made up a free of charge goody bag of bog roll, handsoap and bleach and delivered it to local pensioners.
If only more people with the means to do this would go that extra mile.

But rathe than putting buying caps on the number of bog rolls people can buy or the number of handwash bottles people can buy... the big shops just up the price.

Ruzz1

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
Just today I have had our heating oil filled up and at 49p a litre the cheapest so far, (will last six months)
also got two 47kg bottles of LPG that supply our cooker, (will last one year)
I got them because here in rural Galloway we deal with small firm's for those goods, and if just one person from any of these companies test's positive they will have to shut down for a minimum of two weeks making it very difficult to resource elsewhere,,,
farmers all over are stocking up on fuel some are buying extra fuel tanks,, just incase delivery is affected by lorry drivers being infected,, there is only two main suppliers of red diesel in the area,

Mjay

E50 Owner
London
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Elgrand
E50
Region
London
Thanks for starting this thread. It's good to find sensible people giving sensible advice.
Social media and fake news can be very bad for the spirit.

I am sorry to hear that some of us have very vulnerable family members, for whom this pandemic will be a real concern.

I am here in France, where the situation considerably worse than the UK at the moment.
I have been told to work from home as much as I can from now on.
So here is a positive picture to cheer you all up a bit...
👇my home office (away from the kids) 😎😋
View attachment 30933
View attachment 30932
Wow that’s an awesome!

Kermit

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
Kermit
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Great post, I don't think you can stress enough how serious this is. OK if I get it I will 'probably' be alright but as I said before if Mum gets it she's dead so she's staying home now.

A few worries I have though. The virus staying alive on plastics. Let's say someone has Covid-19 they are feeling fit enough to work from home though and they have an Ebay shop, I buy something plastic from them and they ship quickly, I open it touch the plastic and forget to wash my hands and decontaminate the plastic (won't happen because I won't be buying anything now and I would decontaminate and wash my hands but will others think like this?) if the plastic is touched then I make a sandwich I can potentially have the virus.

Same with a Tesco shop, if someone is carrying the virus and packs my shopping, to be 100% safe surely I need to decontaminate everything before I put it away surely?

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Basically yes. Everything plastic should be wiped down before storage.
It's going to be a real pain, and germophobes are going to be going completely crazy at the moment.

Kermit

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
Kermit
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Yep, I'm going to keep some sanitizing gel next to the front door so the OH can use it before coming in and touching stuff.

shaggy6boys

E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
personally i think its been a bit blown out of porportion, too much hype and negative media coverage, had the same with swine flu and SARS.

I dont want to, or mean to, sound critical but anyone with weaker immune systems or other health issues is more susceptible to anything wether theres a vaccine or not, my son is asthmatic and spent his time of the family holiday in paedeatric high care on oxygen last year becasue of a chest infection which we couldnt shift with his antibiotics, so i'm a bit worried about this myself, and with some people panic buying and stocking up it means theres not enough gel or wipes to go around.

Its a "new flu" so either man-made or a mutated strand of existing flu, which we get told time and time again that germ and viruses etc will adapt to make them more effective against what is already available to combat them. With no vaccine available its more serious than common flu.

Its not nice catching anything and fear is gripping the nation, but it seems to have gone through china to the point they had 3 new cases yesterday so its taken about 2-3 months and with a high population.

It'll peak in the next couple of weeks so we havent seen the worst of it.

With that said stay safe and healthy everyone, and dont forget any elderly neighbours who may be living on their own.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
personally i think its been a bit blown out of porportion, too much hype and negative media coverage, had the same with swine flu and SARS.
This isn't comparable to swine flu or SARS. It's surpassed either of them in terms of transmission rate, mortality rate, incubation period, legth of illness and severity of illness.

The media have created a shitstorm and started the panic buying. Government intervention should have swiftly stifled that coverage and limitations put on the number of specific items people can buy in one transaction.

But I do firmly believe that this is a much more serious risk than any previous media frenzy. Look at the data charts and you'll see that for yourself. The rate at which it's spreading is tremendous. And the numbers we are seeing are only the tip of the iceberg. There are potentially 10,000 people in the UK already infected and they don't even know it.

The below shows the trend of official figures from Italy... at that point they were recording approx 200 new cases per day. Now they are onto 2500+ per day.

The red arrow is where the UK are currently as it's just been reported an additional 200 cases confirmed today.

These numbers may seem like a drop in the ocean compared to the 66.4 million people living in the UK. But with a mortality rate that is 4-5 time higher than Flu, with no vaccine available, those in high risk categories NEED to be isolating and reducing contact now before we get to where Italy are currently.

We are approx 4 weeks behind them in terms of the spread of COVID-19. So we are in a prime spot NOW to limit the spread by action, rather than re-action when it's too late.

1584114608615.png

robert edwards

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
good points karl i have family members susceptible to it my mrs has always bulk bought stuff like bogrolls at 4p each instead of 50p in the supermarket and lots of other stuff but we will keep an eye on our oap neghbours as with the family and no she is not selfish or panicking its what she has done for years