• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Underseal

I'd look at google images of undersealed cars (which, granted, will probably be photos of it just being done) and compare to a look under yours. Waxoil though (one many of the different products places can use) is more 'clear'.
Also, when you look underneath, have a look if it looks rusty. Not so much the exhaust box, but in general. This is as good an indication as any as to whether it needs doing- prior under seal or not.
I had a little look underneath to look for rust when we bought it.
It was very clean and I couldn't see any signs of rust. However as far as underseal goes I wasn't looking for any but will have a look now I am more clued up, thanks to you guys :)

The Elgrand was made for Japanese roads only. Due to their climate, they don't need to salt the roads and therefore they don't need to worry about underseal.

In the UK, however, this is NOT the case. Salt will eat away at the chassis and destroy your pride and joy from the inside out.

When you get a fresh import, buy from a dealer or buy privately... you MUST ensure the underseal has been done.

If buying privately, I would get it re-done no matter what the seller says, as it's sold as seen. But if you buy from a garage you will be protected by some sort of trading standards.

Underseal is basically a product that is applied to the underside of the vehicle that prevents the metal from rusting when it comes into contact with the salt and moisture on our roads. It is VITAL for a long and problem free life for you Elgrand.

There are many options available, starting at around £80 for an "in & out" service. Personally, I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole.

The best options seem to be around the £400 mark. This includes dropping your vehicle off with a garage for 3-4 days. One the first day, they thoroughly steam clean the underside of your vehicle. Second day they apply the first layer of the treatment and leave it to set over night. Day 3 they apply another coat and leave to set overnight. Then you collect on Day 4.

Also, please note that underseal is only temporary. It is not a lifelong product (unless you pay extra for a product that has a life long guarantee!). The quick £80 jobs should probably be done twice a year, at the very least, once a year.

The more expensive jobs should be topped up every 4-5 years. Speak to the professional who does your treatment for their advice as these time scales will vary depending on the product you are using.

I know a few people who are JDM car freaks who pay the £400 for a proper treatment, then £80 for an in and out treatment, and then go back and get the proper treatment re-done every other year. One thing for sure is that they will crash their cars before they rust!
Hi Karl (or anyone else for that matter),

Do you have any opinions / experiences / thoughts on the use of "Lanoguard Underseal"? I put a deposit down on a E51 Elgrand yesterday and the dealer says they lanoguard everything they sell.

Thanks,

Tim

Never heard anyone say lanoguard was no good.
Positive results from a few member's who have used it...👍
By all accounts it's a bit like sheep dip for Ellie's...

I'll go no further as I've just seen where your from...😟

Positive results from a few member's who have used it...👍
By all accounts it's a bit like sheep dip for Ellie's...

I'll go no further as I've just seen where your from...😟
Thanks. I might live in Witney but originally from Leeds, so I’m not that attached sheep or their blankets 👍🏻

Last edited:
Do you have any opinions / experiences / thoughts on the use of "Lanoguard Underseal"?
Only downside of lanoguard is it'll want topping up every year or two.

The advantage over the other stuff is it's easy to apply and doesn't suffer from hidden rust underneath.

I'm in the market and have recently checked a 2005 Elgrand that is being sold by a garage that did not import it. I asked about underseal, they said it's something they could sort for it, but have no idea on current status. I've had a look underneath and there is some corrosion and rust spots visible. I'm not sure what amount, if any, would be considered reasonable - thanks in advance to anyone who does know and has time to have a look!

The place to look is behind the nearside rear wheel where the box that covers the rear heater and cooler. They tend to be the first bits that rot out. Your pics don't look too bad, most rust seems to be on the exhaust system which is unavoidable.

The place to look is behind the nearside rear wheel where the box that covers the rear heater and cooler. They tend to be the first bits that rot out. Your pics don't look too bad, most rust seems to be on the exhaust system which is unavoidable.
Ok, this is good to know, thank you. If I go back I'll check behind rear wheel, and keep that in mind going forward. I might not rule this one out quite yet, although I do want to look at some more anyway.

The Elgrand was made for Japanese roads only. Due to their climate, they don't need to salt the roads and therefore they don't need to worry about underseal.

In the UK, however, this is NOT the case. Salt will eat away at the chassis and destroy your pride and joy from the inside out.

When you get a fresh import, buy from a dealer or buy privately... you MUST ensure the underseal has been done.

If buying privately, I would get it re-done no matter what the seller says, as it's sold as seen. But if you buy from a garage you will be protected by some sort of trading standards.

Underseal is basically a product that is applied to the underside of the vehicle that prevents the metal from rusting when it comes into contact with the salt and moisture on our roads. It is VITAL for a long and problem free life for you Elgrand.

There are many options available, starting at around £80 for an "in & out" service. Personally, I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole.

The best options seem to be around the £400 mark. This includes dropping your vehicle off with a garage for 3-4 days. One the first day, they thoroughly steam clean the underside of your vehicle. Second day they apply the first layer of the treatment and leave it to set over night. Day 3 they apply another coat and leave to set overnight. Then you collect on Day 4.

Also, please note that underseal is only temporary. It is not a lifelong product (unless you pay extra for a product that has a life long guarantee!). The quick £80 jobs should probably be done twice a year, at the very least, once a year.

The more expensive jobs should be topped up every 4-5 years. Speak to the professional who does your treatment for their advice as these time scales will vary depending on the product you are using.

I know a few people who are JDM car freaks who pay the £400 for a proper treatment, then £80 for an in and out treatment, and then go back and get the proper treatment re-done every other year. One thing for sure is that they will crash their cars before they rust!
Ah, thanks for posting this. I just recently bought my Elgrand and had not considered this. Luckily mine doesn't appear to have rust issues. I'll need to get the undercoat done on mine before winter comes around!

Back