• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

The time has come - where did 2020 go?

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Well this morning I log onto my work laptop to complete another day of work knowing that after this week I will no longer be employed!
15th July I take Kumo Detailing full time and I could not be more excited about it.
Still suffering anxiety regarding the fact that I've been used to a fixed salary every month since I was 17 so I need to get used to (and have faith in) customers coming through the door and paying up.

It's been a long road to get here. Those of you who know me know just how much I hate my day job. I had a bit of a spat with my boss last week and was then told that if I wasn't leaving I'd be on a disciplinary :joy: Just couldn't hold my tongue until the end. But this spurred my boss to tell me that "come the 3rd of July, we're done". Not entirely sure what she was expecting to happen after I left, I certainly wasn't planning on keeping in touch or even sending Christmas Cards.

There are a lot of members here who have helped me to get to where I am now. From words of encouragement to a lot more.

@Mark (Madfish) being my local buddy who has encouraged me and helped talk me through my fears of going self employed.
@Lize for her endless advice and guidance.
@Claptrap for spending hours working with me on a design for the business that's helped to give me an identity.
All the local members who have had their Elgrand down for any kind of service.

And everyone else here who has helped to impart some wisdom, offer advice, or just offering words of encouragement to keep me on track.

In theory, I should start to be a little more active on here again after this week. The last 9 weeks have been incredibly difficult. Training my replacement to do my job via video call was hard enough. Knowing that this person is already getting paid more than me even though she's only taking on half the job I did due to lack of experience has been a tough pill to swallow. But it shows that a qualification is more important to a company than whether or not you can do the job well... one of the biggest reasons I made the choice to go self employed.

I'm sure there will be a lot more hurdles for me to navigate along the way but at this point in time I'm pumped and raring to go at this head on!

So once again, thank you all and I hope to be around a bit more from now on :)

Windz1000r

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
callum
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Well this morning I log onto my work laptop to complete another day of work knowing that after this week I will no longer be employed!
15th July I take Kumo Detailing full time and I could not be more excited about it.
Still suffering anxiety regarding the fact that I've been used to a fixed salary every month since I was 17 so I need to get used to (and have faith in) customers coming through the door and paying up.

It's been a long road to get here. Those of you who know me know just how much I hate my day job. I had a bit of a spat with my boss last week and was then told that if I wasn't leaving I'd be on a disciplinary :joy: Just couldn't hold my tongue until the end. But this spurred my boss to tell me that "come the 3rd of July, we're done". Not entirely sure what she was expecting to happen after I left, I certainly wasn't planning on keeping in touch or even sending Christmas Cards.

There are a lot of members here who have helped me to get to where I am now. From words of encouragement to a lot more.

@Mark (Madfish) being my local buddy who has encouraged me and helped talk me through my fears of going self employed.
@Lize for her endless advice and guidance.
@Claptrap for spending hours working with me on a design for the business that's helped to give me an identity.
All the local members who have had their Elgrand down for any kind of service.

And everyone else here who has helped to impart some wisdom, offer advice, or just offering words of encouragement to keep me on track.

In theory, I should start to be a little more active on here again after this week. The last 9 weeks have been incredibly difficult. Training my replacement to do my job via video call was hard enough. Knowing that this person is already getting paid more than me even though she's only taking on half the job I did due to lack of experience has been a tough pill to swallow. But it shows that a qualification is more important to a company than whether or not you can do the job well... one of the biggest reasons I made the choice to go self employed.

I'm sure there will be a lot more hurdles for me to navigate along the way but at this point in time I'm pumped and raring to go at this head on!

So once again, thank you all and I hope to be around a bit more from now on :)
Good luck
I am working on a project my self towards going self employed.
As again even though i meet all my targets and I am one of the top 2 engineers in our branch a lad with less experience who doesn't hit his targets makes massive mistakes constantly is one more money than my due to a bit of paper.
I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavours

Clarkie1978

Premium Member
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
South East
Good luck and congratulations on starting your new venture Karl.

I've always thought it must be a huge bonus if your working life revolves around something you are interested in and passionate about.

You must be so excited!! 👍

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Good luck
As again even though i meet all my targets and I am one of the top 2 engineers in our branch a lad with less experience who doesn't hit his targets makes massive mistakes constantly is one more money than my due to a bit of paper.
That really really grinds on me. Companies no longer seem to understand "qualified through experience" any more.

Windz1000r

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
callum
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
That really really grinds on me. Companies no longer seem to understand "qualified through experience" any more.
They don't and it really grinds on me when I am getting sent out to sensitive sites and following him around fixing his mistakes

Hopefully I'll be self employed soon aswell

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Devon/Cornwall
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Elgrand
E50
Region
Devon/Conrwall
Have a big curry Thursday night and leave them a present on your desk before you leave.

All the best for self employed life!

Reverend RobP

Lap Dancing Vicar & Club Rep - Yorkshire
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Elgrand
E50
Region
Yorkshire
Well done buddy for making it through your notice period!! Onwards and upwards mate!! All the best come the 15th! You've got a great setup and great knowledge of what you're doing, so no reason why you shouldn't be very successful in your new venture!!

Stempyuno

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Androo
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Good for you. Your reputation for high standards of work will surely spread and the business thrive. If you can make it through the next six months of the new normal then you will be home and dry. A great opportunity in a way to offer vehicle decontamination services with the crisis far from over.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
think he's working from home though mate - so don't think @Pippa would take kindly to the little present ;):joy:
I'm in the office on Friday to say my farewells, give my laptop and stuff back, and shit on the desk. So @Pippa won't have to clean it up :joy:

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I'm not scared of the work that needs to go in, or the effort I have to put in. My concern is purely around whether enough people know who I am and are they going to use me over competitors.
I've got most of the income secured for July now, so my anxiety is easing a little, and once I'm at the unit all the time I'll start seeing more people passing by, and interact with customers from the businesses around me, so should be quids in :)