• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (How to read a forum)

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I've read through a few posts today and it's given me some cause for alarm.
On a basic level, most of us are all here for one reason; we want to look after our Elgrand.

When you read through a forum you are going to get a lot of bias from owners, and you'll hear great reviews about the cars (The Good)... you will also hear stories about breakdowns and "help me quick posts" (The Bad)... and you will also hear about the dreaded cat issue (The Ugly).

As a new member to this forum you need to learn to take things on board without allowing panic to set in.

We've got nearly 6000 members. MOST of those members have had effortless, trouble free motoring. But it's NOT common place (albeit there is currently an effort in place to correct this) where people post "I went to the shops today, no dramas". What is common place is if you WERE to have an issue is to see "I went to the shops today and I broke down, help".

Don't allow negative comments from owners to put you off looking at or buying an Elgrand. What you need to take from that is that these people are asking questions NOW and getting help NOW. There is a whole community of people who all pull togehter to help people through a breakdown. I've had ONE breakdown in 5 years of Elgrand ownership... and 3 days later (well, 10 days later, but 7 of them I was on holiday), my Elgrand was back on the road and has purred like a kitten ever since. My MPG has even improved!! I would not have been able to do that if I had not publicly asked about my issue and gleaned knowledge from those who have it.

Look at the meets we have, the shows we attend... see how many people are there. Not many other clubs have a community like this one.

No, the Elgrand is not bulletproof. NO car is bulletproof. You will get issues and problems with ANY car you get, after all they are all just metal, plastic and rubber... and eventually things don't work as they should.

You will always see more negative on a forum than positive, purely because people share bad news, but don't share good news (generally).

I mean how often do you go to your doctor just to tell them that you are absolutely fine and there are no issues? You don't. Why? No on needs to know that you've been successfully managing your weight, your bowel movements are good and regular, and you sleep fine every night.

I've been told countless times that this community has been a lifeline. THAT is the message you should take from anything you read. Look at how many replies people get to problems. Look at how much discussion goes on. Look at how the community guide people through problems and get them to a solution.

If you make all your decisions based on worst case "what if's"... you'll never enjoy the best things in life :)

Agreed!!!!!!!
I’ve had nearly 2 years trouble free motoring and being a chauffeur I drive lots of very expensive cars and non of them puts a smile on my face like the Elgrand
1572455049884.png

mark-lanier-quote-we-have-a-right-to-know-they-ought-to-tell-us-the.jpg

The above quote is very true but remember
somebody's good is always worth sharing
somebody's bad can help somebody else in the future
somebody's ugly-----------well they should keep that to themselves

Well said though karl, without all three were would the balance be

We have owned far more expensive vehicles, much fast, lighter, heavier, bigger, smaller but its the only car we have owned for a long time that we look forward to travel in as a family. I have also got to be very honest that I would normally avoid owner clubs as you end up watching people being nasty and condescending for no good reason - never found that on this site.
As for reliability I like to see where the "bar"is set for expectations. People on here have blown up engines and have suffered extreme wear but the norm seems to be half way between door light bulbs and air con pipes leaking. I have had other vehicles were the common consensus is has your engine hydraulically locked yet and ate itself or has you rear diff bearings ceased at speed.

Yes well said Karl.
I think I fell into the trap off wondering what was going to go wrong on the car after reading loads of problems on here.
It's not that way at all, look after your car and it'll look after you and if all else fails, turn to the club for help. Easy.
Take care

i agree it is a brilliant forum and the point i made on another post is that any car has problems but the banter is second to none and not nasty so enjoy your car enjoy the banter and party on

i agree it is a brilliant forum and the point i made on another post is that any car has problems but the banter is second to none and not nasty so enjoy your car enjoy the banter and party on
Absolutely agree @robert edwards initially I joined the forum to get any information that I could, but the banter between members is what keeps this community alive. I do believe that if it wasn't for this forum, we wouldn't have dared take that leap of buying an Elgrand. I am most glad we did, and even more so to be a part of a friendly and warm group of people. As noted, any vehicle can have had bad press/reviews or 'go rogue' I remember being told about the ford probes being like that (probably not everyone's cup of tea) but we had the the Mazda engine V6 and that purred like a puddycat lol with absolutely no issues at all. On the other hand, Mr Magsy bought a brand new Sierra when they first came out, and ended up changing the gear box five times....brand new gear boxes every time....so it just goes to show, things can happen to even new vehicles. (Although the 'rogue' vehicle I wouldn't have minded owning is "Christine" which I believe was a Plymouth?)

Thank you Karl. I have just bought my first Elgrand as you will all know by now !! I am reassured now that I have done something GOOD not BAD and certainly not the least bit UGLY. A lot depends on how one looks after ones prize possessions. :cool:

Thank you, I am enjoying my e51 the more I drive it. The purchase was a bit of a punt as I wanted a converted camper but I've owned 3 Nissans in the past...Micra, Primera and Terrano and they were fab so I thought the Elgrand was going to be as good. Looks like what I thought was a long shot has paid off! I'm more of a FB person than a forum one but thought I'd pop on here and see if I can overcome the confusion I feel trying to navigate a forum 😂

The Ellie is very unique and a lovely place to ride along in. I enjoyed ours on the weekend as we popped back and forth doing work on the rental unit we've purchased. What a comfy workhorse! And in style with a Rider too lol. She's a relaxing drive with massive versatility but not an ugly breadbox looking thing.
The forum is certainly a very helpful place with real community spirit.
I'd love to make a project out of one but can't have two projects and my pre existing mental Focus beaST is here to stay, so the Ellie is family duties, but I do get tempted to mod her.....

Agreed!! Hoping for many respectful and helpful threads and posts in this forum.

This forum is invaluable to me. Have not been on of late due to a recurring health problem. Thankfully all seems resolved and DVLA sent my drivers license back to ton Christmas Eve. Now about to embark upon the recommissioning of our E50 which has been scorned for the past nineteen months. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Back