• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

I wasn't aiming that on anyone. But only recently we had a bloke who consistently argued the toss saying he didn't and still doesn't believe.
Then a few days later puts pics up of him decoring them

Yea I understand that @Chasdad unfortunately that is the norm with clubs/groups etc, there's always one as they say, but at the end of the day their choice and their cash if it goes wrong, at least you know you can be sure that yous is safe.

Knowing my luck it will. Hopefully no pirates as it's a week from zebrugge
Hehe if pirates get an idea of how much Elgrands sell for over here they might start hijacking them on the way over. Get Captain Philips from the film with the same name..

Hi Guys Newbie here .Bought 1st Elgrand last night . I was wondering What is the white cotton wool stuff thatis in the cats ? I took off the cats tonight and cut them open and this white stuff was loose . Looks like RCF refractory ceramic fibres . Anyone had this and what did they do ? Thanks

I've seen lots of vehicles with 'cotton wool' coming out the exhaust . I don't know the technical term for the stuff but I do know it is the stuff that is generally fitted between the business part of the cat and the metal housing, a kind of padding that holds the innards of cats in place. The stuff always looks fluffy / loose when you cut them open because you disturb it during cutting open, but since it may have been 'disturbed' before you even cut it open and is now (at least) damaged you should de-core the cat(s) that you cut open. Lots of owners on this forum have had problems with catalytic converters and such problems can (and have) led to engine damage... relevant searches on this forum will give more info.

Congrats on buying your Elgrand, I've only had mine nearly a couple of months and have already got to grips with most aspects of suspension and other common general troubles. I convert them to LPG for a living and have converted around 70 over the last 18 months... Just in case you'd like half price fuel! ;-)

Had rear cats de-cored today by DANMAR custom exhausts in Wigan. Its 35 miles from me so I was a bit on edge driving it especially as its on LPG which I hear runs hotter for the cats.(water temp only reading quarter on gauge) Anyway Kenny had them both done in under two hours. It may be me but it sounded a bit more "throaty" in a good way and smoother acceleration. The cats seemed in good condition to be fair and I know the motor has had all recalls done in Japan but just the relief of getting them done makes me feel a bit more at ease on long journeys.

Me too. Just finished doing cats. All but two nut completely eroded. Had to be cut. What a pain. Anyway job done. Can't notice any difference in performance. But hopefully my engine is happier! :)

Awesome post, can't wait to tackle this issue when mine arrives on the 29th June 😆

Cats decored quite easy by myself i took off the exhaust and cut open whilst i smashed out internals . Mate welded it back so all sorted . Underseal done by garage on Weds (£228 he is an expert in Jap Cars and someone i know but not done it cheaper ) so now just waiting for my plates and log book off DVLA. As i`m only 10 mins from the DVLA i took the forms down and filled them in on Friday 22nd June . I`m having the back converted to Rear Kitchen in next 2 weeks and then it`s away to go. Have booked a week at Duinrell Campsite in Holland for Aug 20th . It`s an Elgrand E51 with 44k miles 2003 . Great advice on here lads . Karl i wouldn`t have had a clue about decoring the cats if it hadn`t been for this website so thank you .

How much would it cost avg for a garage to decore the secondary cat? (in £'s). and can it be done after an undercoat has been applied or should it be done before?

How much would it cost avg for a garage to decore the secondary cat? (in £'s). and can it be done after an undercoat has been applied or should it be done before?

It takes about 1-2 hours so most will charge you an hourly rate. Got mine done for £40 some people paid as much as £150, so it's going to depend on the garage.

Before or after underseal doesn't matter.

Thanks Chris, was just worried that the dealer was going to get it sealed for me and any work after would disturb the coating

Thanks Chris, was just worried that the dealer was going to get it sealed for me and any work after would disturb the coating

They will be unbolted to decore, so shouldn't matter either way.

[COCKQUOTE="blingo, post: 48053, member: 219"]Absolutely, you should ring them immediately! I honestly can't believe you have admitted to all that on a public forum, they are probably voiding your policy right now. You might get away with a couple of those mods if you are really lucky. It obviously depends on whether the keyfob still has the original battery. And as everyone knows, the claybar use is very much an insurance grey area - depends entirely on what lubricant you used. I suspect you might be using an unapproved one if the bar is being consumed by the paint though.

You know what is actually funny? That you can't see the difference between any of these things and removing the cats.
Ah !!! You are telling me what i maybe able or unable to see.Are you an optician who doesn't need to measure peoples vision physically before diagnosing sight problems ? Please advise on exactly what or how one may invalidate their insurance by looking after their vehicle , whether it be cosmetic or to prolong the life of the vehicle,whether mechanical or cosmetic .ie.if a vehicle manual states semi synthetic oil and one uses a higher grade fully synthetic oil will this invalidate insurance ? T[/QUOTE]

Is there an aftermarket through pipe you can buy to replace the secondary cat sections or do these need to be fabricated?

Here you go https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-Nissa...57.m4084.l1313.TR7.TRC0.A0.H0.Xelgrand+d.TRS0

Back