• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Hi l'm new to this forum, but my question is what do I do next. My rear cats have been decored but EML still comes on even though spacers been fitted to the sensors after the front Cat. Also if front and back Cats have been decored how does it pass a MOT.

Hi l'm new to this forum, but my question is what do I do next. My rear cats have been decored but EML still comes on even though spacers been fitted to the sensors after the front Cat. Also if front and back Cats have been decored how does it pass a MOT.

It probably won't pass the MOT if front and back cats have been decored unless it has been LPG converted, if it is LPG converted it will pas an MOT without any cats.

You don't need spacers fitted to rear lambda probes to prevent the EML coming on, not even if all cats have been decored.

Maybe your EML issues are related to something else, to find out it would be handy to have an OBD scan tool that is compatible with E51's.

Plenty of info on all these subjects on this forum.

Welcome.
You need to get the codes read by someone who has the correct equipment.
Just to find out what error code you currently have.
Spacers on the sensors are not necessary.
If front + back is decored it will not pass the MOT unless you are running on LPG
You may find answers to your questions via the search button.
Good luck

Hi Woody.
Once to get up to 10 posts without spamming or you could pay a small amount to become a premium member. You can then access all the great info on here.
But in the meantime you should at min remove the rear cats.

Hi @DaveC, You say you like an easy life? Me too which is why with a copy of the picture below, I went to my local garage and asked them to de-core the rear two cats.

View attachment 1430

2hrs labour and parting with £108 was simple enough for me.

But if you want to order up some extra kit, wait for it to arrive and phaff around underneath etc., then hey, each to their own;)

I know sweet F.A. about cars, disclaimer. I am however over being taken advantage of at the mechanics so have recently joined this forum to expand my horizons. The issue I joined for is separate, however having owned an E51 for a little for around 2 years, I've grown to like it, suits moving around our family of six.

How would I know if I need to get this done? Would you recommended I'd just take it into a mechanic and show them the photo you posted and ask them to de-core the two rear cats? PS I had to Google what quad cats are, thats how little I know about cars.

Agree with you.
Who knew you had to take a photo of what you wanted doing.
Would have thought a decent auto technician who was worth his salt should know without being shown a photo.
Good job it not a gynaecologist you are going to see.

I'm pathetic when it comes to cars. The most I know is: how to change a tire, check oil, and help jump start a car.

However that will change as I leverage this awesome community to get a better understanding of cars and Elgrands. Plenty of good reading thus far and I still haven't unlocked many sections.

I think using photos to help diagnosis or explain what exactly you're after isn't so bad. You are right, a decent mechanic should be able to do it without a picture explaining what needs to be done. I guess the benefit is for me, so I can at least look like I know what I'm talking about when I take Elgrand into the shop.

Is there a certain KM on the odometer when the car is likely to break down and force more costly repairs? Or any other tells? Could I put it off until next year? Or is this something to rectify ASAP?

Is there a certain KM on the odometer when the car is likely to break down and force more costly repairs? Or any other tells? Could I put it off until next year? Or is this something to rectify ASAP?
Who knows my other Nissan broke down after only 2000 miles and needed gearbox work.
Had to have new discs all round at only 4000 miles and was out of warranty.
Some cars will out live their owners others are just built to die.

Not really bud just best to get the rear cats done, like any other car manufacturer you just don't know whats around the corner.
I have two Elgrands one with over 245,000km and the other with 114,000km, guess which ones currently in pieces in the garage, the one with less kms even though its been well looked after you just never know with cars Im afraid when their going to go wrong.
Some members have had no problems for years so it really is hit and miss. One thing for sure though is get those rear cats emptied asap.

Agree with you.
Who knew you had to take a photo of what you wanted doing.
Depends on specific a particular job needs to be - in this case, decore the rear cats in a way that is not visible to simple inspection.
Would have thought a decent auto technician who was worth his salt should know without being shown a photo.
  • If you've had positive experiences with all your garage reapairs, then good on you.
  • Over time however, you will come across postings in this forum where people have not been so fortunate and with the Elgrand not being a common car seen in garages around the UK, it is not uncommon to read on here that where say an engine error code pops it head up, diagnosis can be tricky for a garage especially if they do not even have the right code readers
  • Worse still, rather than the mechanic saying they 'don't know' they embark on a bit of a 'willy nilly parts changing' exercise and guess who picks up the bill.
  • By all means steer clear of the techy stuff if that's your way but having just a little knowledge of your vehicle can save the unwary being hood-winked.

Last edited:
Never was an overfueling issue....( if you believe in that you still believe in fairytales). Nissan (nor any of the other manufacturers) wanted to admit that in thier quest to get lower emmisions and please all the greenies they had fucked up and pushed primary cats to close to the engine. So it was blamed on overfuelling... less controversial than emissions..... as for Nissan renewing primary cats????.... nope they removed them! ....job done!.... whos to know?. ... no one ! .....for at least 10 or more years than is!
Address it right and you will never have a worry , weve had Elgrands in the garage over 400,000k on the clock running as sweet as a nut
Steve
Tojomotorsuk
Do you think Nissan removed a lot of primary cats as part of the "recall"? Have you seen any cases of this? If so, were they decored or straight-piped?

I've removed all my cats and now smelling very strong exhaust odor. Makes me a bit nauseous sometimes if I idle with windows down. Do you guys think a single 2.5" or 3" Amazon "high flow" cat could remedy this?

I've removed all my cats and now smelling very strong exhaust odor. Makes me a bit nauseous sometimes if I idle with windows down. Do you guys think a single 2.5" or 3" Amazon "high flow" cat could remedy this?
No.
You have a leak.
With or without cats there should be no odour.
Take it back to your exhaust people

No.
You have a leak.
With or without cats there should be no odour.
Take it back to your exhaust people
Really? That's a relief. I'll check for the leak before getting it to them so I know if they've really done something after I go get it back from them....
Reason I asked about the odor is because I've read somewhere in a post that without cats the gasses aren't filtered and others have been smelling the stench....but you got a point, however I don't hear any leaks but it could be very minor I assume, enough to let some exhaust escape and enter the cabin.

Serious question..

You preface this thread by saying in all caps "THIS IS NOT FORUM LORE", yet this issue is only found and spoken of on this particular forum. No other car ever, even Nissan's with near identical cat systems dont seem to have this illusive "clogged cats blowing up engines" problem. So what factual, conclusive evidence does anybody have that any of this is remotely true?

A completely clogged exhaust will cause an engine to stall, not blow up. And your car will run so poorly with a clogged cat, its almost inconceivable that you could continue to drive it as if nothing was wrong without noticing the poor drivability, not to mention the CEL would more than likely trip.

You guys talk about mechanics not understanding what you're talking about when you go to them with your personal diagnostic, then blame the professional mechanic for not being knowledgeable.. no.. they just cant fathom why your vehicles would act entirely different than every other vehicle ever.

I have bought, driven, and sold 10+ E51's in the past 4 years, both vq25 and vq35, never had a clogged cat cause any sort of engine damage whatsoever. I would implore you all to do a little bit of research into this, actually take the time to understand the mechanical goings on inside your engine. You're falling into a panic inducing mass hysteria, and completely disregarding all logic and reason. Elgrands are not unique in how their engines operate, this should go without saying.

Kindest regards.

Back