• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

I'd probably do that also at some point, but will wait till the extended warranty finishes in 5 years' time.
Hey KT. I just got an 2004 AWD E51 last week. What have you heard regarding gutting the core? Is it best to do the front or rear cats?

Cheers from the Goldie :)

Hi guys ive read almost every post on the dreaded CAT issue and i suppose I’m looking for some reassurance I’m about to do the right thing here!

I bought my 04 E51 with the rear cats removed and a stainless steel exhaust fitted. I have the option of having the fronts removed and sports cats put in for £690 or thereabouts. I have read a few posts of issues with o2 sensors etc. The garage said to me there shouldnt be any issues with o2 and lambda sensors.

Is this the best way of going about it or should I have the fronts DECORED and fit sports, meaning i wont have the MOT issues.

I’m in this for the long run so willing to invest to mitigate the issue. I just want to make sure I go with the right method and wanted to check with those who have been through it or similar.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments on this before i go through with it.

Hi guys ive read almost every post on the dreaded CAT issue and i suppose I’m looking for some reassurance I’m about to do the right thing here!

I bought my 04 E51 with the rear cats removed and a stainless steel exhaust fitted. I have the option of having the fronts removed and sports cats put in for £690 or thereabouts. I have read a few posts of issues with o2 sensors etc. The garage said to me there shouldnt be any issues with o2 and lambda sensors.

Is this the best way of going about it or should I have the fronts DECORED and fit sports, meaning i wont have the MOT issues.

I’m in this for the long run so willing to invest to mitigate the issue. I just want to make sure I go with the right method and wanted to check with those who have been through it or similar.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments on this before i go through with it.
Best bet is to junk the original system and have a new one built with metallic cats up front. O2 probes will be fine.

Best bet is to junk the original system and have a new one built with metallic cats up front. O2 probes will be fine.
So get rid of the SS exhaust that’s been fitted all together for a brand new set up or just Offload those original cats for new ones?

Thanks guys. Is there anything I need to do regarding the sensors or is it as simple as cut the fronts out and replace

Hi all I’m new here. About to purchase an E51 2007 and will be checking out the CAT issue. Does anybody have any links to where the replacement exhaust system can be purchased? Also, is there an average mileage at which the issue occurs? Thanks

agree with andy if you have ss system then just get front cats changed
Just spoke with the Garage, they’re saying they’ll decore the fronts and fit a sports cat instead of remove the fronts completely so my SS would be from the original soon to be decored fronts with a sports in the middle.

I think that would be fine?

Sorry if I’m repeating a question (52 pages is a lot to filter through…!): it’s been suggested to me that this is more of an issue for the 3.5, but not so much for 2.5. Sounds like a dealer trying to make a sale to me…

Sorry if I’m repeating a question (52 pages is a lot to filter through…!): it’s been suggested to me that this is more of an issue for the 3.5, but not so much for 2.5. Sounds like a dealer trying to make a sale to me…
I had a 2.5 and had the front cats de-cored/removed as I was converting to LPG, if I hadn't done that the dealer I bought from would have removed the rear cats by default.
My personal opinion is to remove the front cats, if they break down from the front the debris has no escape route.

It's your choice.

Back