• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

The E51 l have just bought has had the rear two removed.

Hi, our E51 goes in tomorrow to have the front cats decored. We will keep the rear cats and in a months time get LPG installed.

Will decoring the fronts make the van much louder?

Hi, our E51 goes in tomorrow to have the front cats decored. We will keep the rear cats and in a months time get LPG installed.

I wouldn’t of thought u will notice any difference, that’s way I would go if I ever had a e51

Decoring all 4 cats on an E51 doesn't make noticeable difference to the exhaust sound.

You booked in for LPG conversion with me for 27th June (this month ;) ) @Cjhdc5 ?

Last edited:
Did they not come up with a solution to the catalytic converter problem in Japan? I know the rules are stricter regarding emissions over there so they couldn't remove any of the cats, but surely they must have had a solution? Werent they recalled?

Did they not come up with a solution to the catalytic converter problem in Japan? I know the rules are stricter regarding emissions over there so they couldn't remove any of the cats, but surely they must have had a solution? Werent they recalled?
They didn't come up with a solution. Yes there was a recall for cats but I (and others on forum) reckon the recall did nothing to change the cat situation. They may have checked cats during the recall but they didn't change them unless faults were found during the check - which won't be a great help if the problem is a design problem as it seems to be. Plenty Elgrands that have had the cat recall done have had cats fail on them since. Easy to think Nissan whitewashed the issue, stall tactics until the warranties expired. All cats will eventually fail but cat failures don't generally lead to engine failures as is the case with the Nissan E51 design.

There are loads of threads on this subject on forum.

Last edited:
Decoring all 4 cats on an E51 doesn't make noticeable difference to the exhaust sound.

You booked in for LPG conversion with me for 27th June (this month ;) ) @Cjhdc5 ?
Yes all in the diary, not sure where this year is going. Looking forward to getting all done 👍

So had the front cat removed today and as said above sound is roughly the same. The guy mentioned as the cats are hollow now I might get an engine light on. I have done a fair amount of research and not seen this come up once to my knowledge.

is there any sensor in the rear cat ? or i can just ask my garage to replace them with a strait pipe ?

BTW i'm talking about the rear cat but what about the front ones any sensor in there ?

So… when the dealer I just paid a deposit to, told me there’s no need to decat or decore if you service regularly… he was talking out of his rear end?
Same here dealer said not necessary...?

There are no sensors on any cats.

There is the (front) sensor before the front cats and there is a (rear) sensor between the front cats and rear cats.

The front sensor wouldn't be a problem on any vehicle, regardless of what you did with cats. After all, it is in the exhaust before any cats and after all it needs to see the (raw) exhaust emissions if the engine ECU is to be able to do it's job (of properly controlling engine air:fuel mixture) properly.

Doing-away with rear cats won't affect any sensors because there is no sensor after rear cats. And on Elgrands doing-away with front cats doesn't cause any problems regards rear (or front) sensors.

There are some dealers who are not well clued up about Elgrands (or perhaps about any vehicle lol). But if they have the vehicle of your dreams and you are clued up you might do well to buy it anyway? It isn't as though any dealer has absolute knowledge especially about intricacies of engine management systems, or knows for sure what they are buying from auctions half a world away in Japan. But anyone might buy anything from anyone if it is what they really want even if the seller knows nothing about what they're selling. And never heard of a dealer scrapping a car they just bought because it turned out to be not what they thought it would be, they would advertise it to sell anyway.

Bugger-Does anyone want to buy my van?

Hi, this has probably been covered on the forum already, but is the cat issue relevant to the E52 model as well? Thanks

Back