• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

😩 it’s an e51 2009… he also told me there’s no point under sealing as you might seal in grit/debris and cause more damage….

😩 it’s an e51 2009… he also told me there’s no point under sealing as you might seal in grit/debris and cause more damage….
You clean underneath before underselling I'd ask for deposit back and try a trusted dealer

what you need to remember is on most cars with the cats so close to the engine that they will break apart at some point they are also older and may have had a hard life before you got it it is a known fact on this engine no matter what car it was used in my own Elgrand is an 03 s1 and the exhaust is starting to get small cracks /splits in it so i am getting the whole lot changed for stainless steel and as others have said the underside will need sealing and as a cautionary measure the rear cats emptied three and a half years on english roads has eaten my exhaust system if your car is not undersealed the same could happen to the rest of the car

You really should find yourself a dealer who doesn't come out with this sort of bs. There's dealers out there who buy in any old .... and tart up to make a quick profit.
All the dealers on here can be trusted (including one down your neck of the woods) - check out the classified section. They know what they're talking about and won't try and turn you over.

Ok so, after your sound and very definite advice, I went back to the dealer and he has happily agreed to underseal and de-core if that’s what I want (which I do!) My question now is - how can I check if he’s actually done it??

If he's decored the rear cats the nuts on the flange should show signs of having been removed for a few days at least (eventually they'll be rusty again), you can see them under the middle of the van.

Underseal is pretty obvious.

Great - thank you!

Still in the thinking about it phase, but thanks for the over view. Sounds mad tbh that in order to look after your car you need to take off the cats then somehow stick them back again every year for the mot? Seriously feeling like a simple blonde female surrounded by cocks!

Still in the thinking about it phase, but thanks for the over view. Sounds mad tbh that in order to look after your car you need to take off the cats then somehow stick them back again every year for the mot? Seriously feeling like a simple blonde female surrounded by cocks!
Yeah everyone has different opinions to the cat situation…

me personally + husband who actually makes the exhausts for these prefer the rear cats to be decored and the front cats to replaced to sports cats (upgraded versions) an doing this will pass the mot every year an will have no cat issue.

we have personally done this an done an wouldn’t recommend it otherwise :)

You don't need to refit them, it will easily pass with only the fronts installed, my CO went from 0.00 to 0.01.

Yeah everyone has different opinions to the cat situation…

me personally + husband who actually makes the exhausts for these prefer the rear cats to be decored and the front cats to replaced to sports cats (upgraded versions) an doing this will pass the mot every year an will have no cat issue.

we have personally done this an done an wouldn’t recommend it otherwise :)
Is that something that’s costly ? My hearts saying I need to sell this thing and get one now. But I keep trying to be a sensible grown up and weigh everything up. 😂 the more I’m looking into them the more they’re seeming like a long term hobby rather than like most uk cars ? If that makes sense

Is that something that’s costly ? My hearts saying I need to sell this thing and get one now. But I keep trying to be a sensible grown up and weigh everything up. 😂 the more I’m looking into them the more they’re seeming like a long term hobby rather than like most uk cars ? If that makes sense
it can be expensive. Just again depends on what you want to do.. we decored our rear cats an ran on them for 2-3 years without any issue but always had that worry about the front cats so decided we would rather change them than let them destroy the engine that costs so much money. Once it’s all done you don’t have that worry then :)

it can be expensive. Just again depends on what you want to do.. we decored our rear cats an ran on them for 2-3 years without any issue but always had that worry about the front cats so decided we would rather change them than let them destroy the engine that costs so much money. Once it’s all done you don’t have that worry then :)
Thanks not something that needs doing all at once is good to know .

not all at once i had my rears done 3 years ago and this month had the whole system changed for stainless as my oem exhaust was showing signs of 3 winters with corrosion and pinholes so needed changing anyway if you look at the cost of changing an oem if you can get one compared to stainless there is not a lot of difference hope this helps

Hi Bob

I'm not far from you, so would interested to know
  1. Where you had th work done?
  2. The cost?
  3. If you sourced the parts yourself, and if yes would you be able to share the details?
Thanks,

JW

ok johnny if you look at my post powerflow exhaust you will find pictures and price plus the address and phone number of the company i used but i will pm you the address and number as well

Interesting posts guys and as many others appreciative of vast information provided.

I've been convinced that decatting is the way forward and will be finding local garage to complete the work on my Elgrand.

Might be a bit of silly question but some of the post are referreing to rear 2 cats decatting while others to front 2 cats ...? Which pair would require attention, one closer to the engine, i.e. appx under the drivers seats?

Thanks

Interesting posts guys and as many others appreciative of vast information provided.

I've been convinced that decatting is the way forward and will be finding local garage to complete the work on my Elgrand.

Might be a bit of silly question but some of the post are referreing to rear 2 cats decatting while others to front 2 cats ...? Which pair would require attention, one closer to the engine, i.e. appx under the drivers seats?

Thanks

Back