• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

I believe that it is more difficult and more expensive to replace the front cats rather than the rear ones. There may be members who have removed front cats, if so perhaps one of them could explain the process and cost for doing this. 🤔

I believe that it is more difficult and more expensive to replace the front cats rather than the rear ones. There may be members who have removed front cats, if so perhaps one of them could explain the process and cost for doing this. 🤔
The cost can be £0 if your prepared to do the work your self. Remove, decat and replace. Not the easiest to remove those so patience is the key.
Replacing the decated rears carried out by the importer was the exspensive part.

Had my fronts removed by Steve at tojomotors, Engine dropped out from below on the subframe took a day and a bit .

I believe that it is more difficult and more expensive to replace the front cats rather than the rear ones. There may be members who have removed front cats, if so perhaps one of them could explain the process and cost for doing this. 🤔The cost can be £0 if your prepared to do the work your self. Remove, decat and replace. Not the easiest to remove those so patience is the key.
Replacing the decated rears carried out by the importer was the exspensive part.
The cost can be £0 if your prepared to do the work your self. Remove, decat and replace. Not the easiest to remove those so patience is the key.
Had my fronts removed by Steve at tojomotors, Engine dropped out from below on the subframe took a day and a bit .

Steve at Tojomotors method of decoring front cats makes a lot of sense to me, it is a good method for a pro but would be more difficult for a DIY mechanic as it involves lowering the engine on the front subframe and a DIYer won't have the equipment for that.

I did a thread on how front cat decore can be done 'on the drive' by a confident DIY mechanic. https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/front-cats-decore.21762/

I am looking for tips on the Elgrand for a future purchase, I have read that you should get the rear cats decored, so my question is should the front be done as well as I have not seen that mentioned before. Thanks

I am looking for tips on the Elgrand for a future purchase, I have read that you should get the rear cats decored, so my question is should the front be done as well as I have not seen that mentioned before. Thanks
Most have decored the rears and left fronts in place. Majority view now though is to remove front and leave rears in place although that is more expensive. You would only remove all cats if you have lpg conversion.

Thanks was looking along the lines of lpg, I have plenty to consider

Thanks was looking along the lines of lpg, I have plenty to consider
We have a resident lpg expert on here who you will come across as you search through.
Just to clarify on my previous answer - you do not have to remove all 4 cats if you go down lpg route. It's just that it would pass an mot emissions test without cats in place running on lpg.

We're currently looking to buy our first Elgrand and have been contacting dealers about prospective vehicles. I asked one if they provided their Elgrands with the secondary cats de-cored and their reply was:
we dont remove or decore cats as of May 2019 its illegal to alter an emission device and carrys a £1000 fine to the registered keeper , if the vehicles are genuine examples , serviced correctly and correct fuel used there should not be any issues
Now a confused as whether to go ahead and was wondering what light you guys could shed on the matter?

Cheers
Mark

We're currently looking to buy our first Elgrand and have been contacting dealers about prospective vehicles. I asked one if they provided their Elgrands with the secondary cats de-cored and their reply was:

Now a confused as whether to go ahead and was wondering what light you guys could shed on the matter?

Cheers
Mark
I'd ask if there deals come with new cats for peice of mind and if not look else where

There vast majority of Elgrands in the UK have the secondary cats removed. I've never heard of anyone being fined or failing the MOT. The dealer is just bare faced lying about there being no issues with a correctly maintained vehicle. Look elsewhere as you never know what other untruths they may be feeding you.

Cheers
Mark
If anyone ever asks, just don't tell.
"Have you removed the cats sir?"
... Silence.
Win!

Cheers
Mark
Cats don't last forever!
RAC website has this to say:
Catalytic converters often last for at least 10 years, or between 70,000 and 100,000 miles.
However, it’s possible that the catalytic converter on a car that is used only for short start-stop journeys could wear out faster because the engine and cat won’t be able to reach their optimum operating temperature before being switched off.

Bearing in mind these vehicles are already more than 10 years old do you really want to put your faith in a dealer who denies theyre a potential problem? Or would you rather trust the evidence of those who haven't had their cats done and ended up with destroyed engines?
Yes it's technically an mot fail but only if the tester knows their should be 4 cats and goes poking around inside the exhaust to make sure they're all in place.
Your choice ar the end of the day.

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans... again.
Must be an easy life for some, get a car, sell it, wipe your hands of it and count the cash.
I couldn't sleep at night.

It is only illegal if you make your vehicle non compliant with emissions regulations.
Hi there, does anyone know the relevance of may 2019? as my rear cats removed early 2018.
I agree that if passes emissions test then is legal.

Hi Guys. I have a 2003 E51 and I'm not sure if I have a CAT problem or not?
It started with a misfire and a flashing EML and code P300. I replaced both the plugs and the coils and it started sweet, however after a short while the flashing EML returned P300. If I start from cold and run 1/4 mile the EML returns and I lose power? I replaced the Hitachi MAF like for like, new air filter and still the same. Not sure where to go from here, any advice please?

Hi Guys. I have a 2003 E51 and I'm not sure if I have a CAT problem or not?
It started with a misfire and a flashing EML and code P300. I replaced both the plugs and the coils and it started sweet, however after a short while the flashing EML returned P300. If I start from cold and run 1/4 mile the EML returns and I lose power? I replaced the Hitachi MAF like for like, new air filter and still the same. Not sure where to go from here, any advice please?
Get the cats checked , hopefully you've already had the rears decored .

Back