• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Maybe we need a cat related engine failure section on the forum so those that have been unfortunate can be listed so other members can actually see the results instead of thinking its just opinions by a select few...
@Madfish - I've started a thread to create the list.
Can't find it any one point me in the right direction.

Might be worth watching if your concerned about your front catalytic converters

Anyone sold there rear cat to scrap merchant and got good money back?
Let the boys keep it for their Christmas box.
They don't earn a lot of money and they are always cutting their hands.
It's the feel good factor.

Let the boys keep it for their Christmas box.
They don't earn a lot of money and they are always cutting their hands.
It's the feel good factor.
I've known a few scrap dealers in my time. They only look poor lol

I know.
And your right.
There's a pretty penny in scrap.
But I was referring to the exhaust fitters.
Nice to give those boys a pound don't you think?

I kept mine intact by taking them off and fitting a set of straight through pipes in their place. Been through 3 MOTs no problem, still have them in the shed to put back on if ever need too
"still have them in the shed to put back on if ever need too" this makes sense.

I haven't bought an Elgrand yet and this whole cat thing does put me off a bit (Maybe it should say 'Ninja Worrier' on my avatar!). After reading lots on here about this subject I have a few questions:

1) I think I would be best off getting a low mileage E51, getting the front cats removed and replaced with straight through pipes and keeping the front cats for future MOTs in case it ever fails the emissions test. This sounds like an easy job to me but is it?

2) I like the idea of having a whole new stainless system complete with new rear cats but there doesn't seem to a definitive guide to price and where this can be done? With all the new Elgrand owners this year someone needs to provide this service and make it accessible!

3) What would be the rough cost of replacing the rear cats and can they be bought online so I can get them fitted locally?

4) In the very sad list of people that have had problems leading to engine failure or near misses the E51s that have the year of manufacture mentioned all seem to be series 1, I know it could effect all but are there cases we know of on series 2 and 3 vehicles?

I live near Norwich and there are about 3 lpg garages in the whole of Norfolk and it's a big county so lpg conversion is off (nearest wants 89p/litre!) I would probably only do about 5000 miles a year in it anyway.

I know there are a lot of questions here so don't feel you have to answer them all! I appreciate the time the people on this forum give to helping other members and I hope to meet some of you on a meet up in the near future when I finally get one! thanks, Ninja Worrier

There about £100 on average to remove, there is a kit for sale to replace them with straight pipes . If your only doing low milage them LPG conversion as you say not worth it . As for which models/years it affects , it can affect any . And stainless Steel exhaust is the way to go but expensive, you would need to find a good exhaust garage to get it done. Don't over worry about the Cat issue as long as you know about it and get it sorted then you will be fine . A lot of the good dealers will remove the cats b4 you get the vehicle or advise where you can get them done. Search on here fir any other info there is a wealth of it on here . Good luck . 😎👍

Any idea how much for the expensive 1 getting the stainless steel exhaust system

There about £100 on average to remove, there is a kit for sale to replace them with straight pipes . If your only doing low milage them LPG conversion as you say not worth it . As for which models/years it affects , it can affect any . And stainless Steel exhaust is the way to go but expensive, you would need to find a good exhaust garage to get it done. Don't over worry about the Cat issue as long as you know about it and get it sorted then you will be fine . A lot of the good dealers will remove the cats b4 you get the vehicle or advise where you can get them done. Search on here fir any other info there is a wealth of it on here . Good luck . 😎👍
Thanks for your reply

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/Elgrand-e51-secondary-de-cats.24691/

Think Winchester Rd motors is the man or Elimental? Not sure .

Back