• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Brilliant ta

One quick last question.

If I just did the rears is there still a high change of failure and engine damage? I've only just got her and i've only been up the road once for fear of her dying

If I had to put a figure on it I'd say decoring rear cats prevents severe problems in around 90% of front cat failure situations... Just my figure, others may put a different figure to it.

But this is IF front cats fail, risk of front cats failing has it's own figure... But risk of front cats failing seems to be a high figure.

I won't go into detail about front cats breaking up and debris blocking rear cats if they're still in place etc etc because there's info all over this forum describing this and in the FAQs. But will say rear cats are decored to prevent debris from failed front cats blocking rear cats.

rears at the very least.

fronts - bit like engine oil - lots of opinions!

Removing rear cats is fine so long as they checked condition of primary cats and checked they wasnt disintergrating. Also they should change the pcv at same time.
Any deterioration of front cats, them remove front and leave ( clean) rears intact .
Steve Tojomotorsuk
I kept mine intact by taking them off and fitting a set of straight through pipes in their place. Been through 3 MOTs no problem, still have them in the shed to put back on if ever need too

Front ones👍
Totally, it is the front ones that fail and can go back into engine or down exhaust pipe , back ones don’t fail , point of decoding back ones is so front cats don’t block rears when coming out exhaust, if I ever get a e51 , decore front and leave rears in

Interesting thread guys. My cats are all in place, but the warranty has a while to run yet, so still mulling my options over. Can anyone recommend an exhaust Centre in Sussex?

I wouldn't worry about the warrantee, if the engine is destroyed there will more than likely be some small print to allow them to wriggle out of paying up.

Hi Guys,
The E51 Rider I'm getting when it's registered has done 31,467 miles. With that in mind I'm thinking I don't need to worry about the cats just yet. Is that a fair assumption, or should I put my worrying head on. What would be a safe mileage to aim at, if there is such a thing.

I'm in 2 minds about this. Mine has over 100000km on the clock with all 4 cats intact? And I'm sure mines not the only one. But better safe than sorry.

I'm in 2 minds about this. Mine has over 100000km on the clock with all 4 cats intact? And I'm sure mines not the only one. But better safe than sorry.
Are you 100% sure the fronts haven't been removed though?

I removed them my self
Seems a shame to have gone to the effort of removing to have a look but not 'remove' the rears. Not a huge job though if you decide to do the rears.

Seems a shame to have gone to the effort of removing to have a look but not 'remove' the rears. Not a huge job though if you decide to do the rears.
Unfortunately the dealer removed the rears. But hoping for a swap for a pair of rear good cats for the MOT.

Unfortunately the dealer removed the rears. But hoping for a swap for a pair of rear good cats for the MOT.
I am so sorry, I think I must be confused. I thought you said you had all 4 cats on the car.

I thought you were ironing.

I am so sorry, I think I must be confused. I thought you said you had all 4 cats on the car.
Sorry. The car had travelled 100k with all 4 cats. Dealer removed rears than I removed fronts.

Sorry. The car had travelled 100k with all 4 cats. Dealer removed rears than I removed fronts.
I am with you! We got our rears from Winchester if this helps.

Back