• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

ohhh that sounds expensive haha.
the exhaust shop i trust says he dont do it because thats illegal..... :D

There are plenty of exhaust shops that will make an exhaust . Not sure how many will remove the front cats though.

As long as replacement cats are fitted they shouldn't have any issues removing originals.

I've done loads of rear cat removals for customers during LPG conversion but I currently don't offer front cat removal.

Hello just got myself an e51 & not sure if my rear cats have been sorted.
Is there a way to find out without removel.
Does anyone know what temperatures I should be getting from empty cats with temp gun. ?

The only 100% sure way is to whip them off. If the bolts are rusted solid then probably still cats in there. If they come off easy then someone has had them off before so you might find them empty.

Hi guys, my first post on here...

Great forum and thread!

I'm on the verge of picking up a lovely Highway Star 2.5 4wd at the weekend but obviously want to get the cats sorted out asap. May even look at lpg later on too.

Does anyone know anywhere around West Mids or Staffordshire who has experience of this?

I've tried a couple of locals but not had any luck so far with them wanting to do it.

Cheers,
Matt

Great forum and thread!

I'm on the verge of picking up a lovely Highway Star 2.5 4wd at the weekend but obviously want to get the cats sorted out asap. May even look at lpg later on too.

Does anyone know anywhere around West Mids or Staffordshire who has experience of this?

I've tried a couple of locals but not had any luck so far with them wanting to do it.

Cheers,
Matt
Simon will sort you out
@Lpgc
Now on his way.
Worth travelling for.

Simon will sort you out
@Lpgc
Now on his way.
Worth travelling for.
Thanks for the mention Steve.

Yes I've converted a lot of Elgrands to LPG (over 250), own 2 Elgrands myself and always have one or two customers Elgrands here too.
I can do rear cat decore during LPG conversion (and have done plenty), I don't yet offer front cat decore.

@MHd Matt I'm just North of Doncaster in a town called South Elmsall.

Had another Elgrand I newly converted to LPG collected by it's owner yesterday, had another Elgrand here yesterday too. Today I'm doing a full service on another Elgrand (plugs, oil, PCV, air filter, transmission fluid part change, 4wd transfer box fluid change, diffs (2) oil change, all brake pads, LPG system service. I fitted the LPG system for this owner a few years ago, says he trusts me to do the work and thought the drive down from Scotland worth it.

Simon

Last edited:
Thanks guys i'm definitely thinking about and LPG conversion but I think my plan for now is to first get the cats sorted see how it goes and get some confidence in the vehicle first then go with LPG.

I'm supposed to be picking it up on Saturday night and will put some pictures up on the new owners bit once i've got it all sorted out all being well.

Wouldn't want to thrape it upto Doncaster straight away in case there was that dreaded Cat problem... I'm scared of travelling it back from the dealer and that's only a few miles lol

Thanks guys i'm definitely thinking about and LPG conversion but I think my plan for now is to first get the cats sorted see how it goes and get some confidence in the vehicle first then go with LPG.

I'm supposed to be picking it up on Saturday night and will put some pictures up on the new owners bit once i've got it all sorted out all being well.

Wouldn't want to thrape it upto Doncaster straight away in case there was that dreaded Cat problem... I'm scared of travelling it back from the dealer and that's only a few miles lol
Radio off.
Listen for a metal to metal type of rattle.
If you can't hear anything boot it and enjoy.

Great forum and thread!

Cheers,
Matt
Try Stuart Spencer Autos in Dudley Port,,or Worcester Road Motors Stourport,,both deal with Elgrands,,

should be picking up later on today and will put a couple of pictures up as soon as I can. I've found a local who will do the cats although they did want £130-150 ish for it which I don't really mind too much.

However, I've been having a look at a few pictures of the E51 underside and it looks fairly accessible to get to the rear cats anyway. I'm pretty handy and was wondering if this could be a fairly common DIY mod?

My mate has some ramps I could get the rear wheels up on if and if it's just a case of unbolting them and decore the cats with a weld back up that seems fairly trivial stuff?

Is that the case here?

Cheers,
Matt

should be picking up later on today and will put a couple of pictures up as soon as I can. I've found a local who will do the cats although they did want £130-150 ish for it which I don't really mind too much.

However, I've been having a look at a few pictures of the E51 underside and it looks fairly accessible to get to the rear cats anyway. I'm pretty handy and was wondering if this could be a fairly common DIY mod?

My mate has some ramps I could get the rear wheels up on if and if it's just a case of unbolting them and decore the cats with a weld back up that seems fairly trivial stuff?

Is that the case here?

Cheers,
Matt
Yeah if your handy with a welder it's definitely doable yourself. They are approximately located under the front driver and passenger floor so maybe ramps at the front would be better.
Passenger side is the short pipe and most people tend to just bash out the inners on that one. Drivers side has longer pipes so that where the cut and weld comes in.

Cheers for the heads up.

I guess by welding you're talking about welding the CAT back up and not chopping off the pipes on the longer one and welding that back together :D

The usual course of action is to cut out the top of the cat housing, remove the core and weld back the top. That way it's all hidden from suspicious mot testers.

what's the cost of replacing the whole exhaust system including cats?

Back