• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

That overfuelling bullshit fairytale probally got the technician that came up with it a free sushi meal and a gaisha girl for the night,
and Carlos Ghosn would of got a half a million pound bonus and express flight to the Lebanon at any time of his choosing! Lol

Steve Tojomotorsuk

You know I'm sure I saw an article saying Nissan had used 1 of those emissions cheat things on some of the new breeds. I bet if it was looked into in depth it would show they have all done it

Last edited:
You know I'm sure I saw an article saying Nissan had used 1 of those emissions cheat things on some of the new breeds. I bet if it was looked into in depth it would show they gave all done it
They have ALL done it .... it was/is??? the only way to beat /apeace the greenies!
If you cant beat them you bullshit them! Thats the way it always has been , greenies are no exception!.... and yes computers tell lies if you train them right.
Steve Tojomotorsuk

Appreciate the honest feedback. Going along a view a few at the weekend - certainly wary of the advice being given and will make me think twice. i'm prob fixating on the camper conversion quality rather than the base vehicle. i'll be sure to check out the traders section to get an idea of more importers to look at
Not much good having a quality camper conversion if it dumps it's cats halfway down the péage.

I feel it needs to be said. As @Lpgc hasn't been involved in this bit of the conversation😀. Convert to lpg and you can do away with all your cats and never ever have to worry about it again. You will still pass the MOT if you present it for test running on lpg.

I feel it needs to be said. As @Lpgc hasn't been involved in this bit of the conversation😀. Convert to lpg and you can do away with all your cats and never ever have to worry about it again. You will still pass the MOT if you present it for test running on lpg.
Now you've done it.

forgive my naivety - is this true 🤔

Yep had mine converted over 2 years ago and just tell the tester its on LPG and thats what they test it on , and no cats at all .

Absolutely true.

LPG converted vehicles can have cats visibly removed and still pass the exhaust system visual test.

LPG converted vehicles are tested on much higher emissions limits that would usually be appropriate for a carburettor vehicle, these limits are much less stringent than normal (petrol) limits.

On top of that, emissions when running on LPG are lower than when running on petrol.

So there's the double whammy of lower actual emissions and higher allowed emissions.
Plus the fact that cats can be visibly removed... You don't even need to make it look like cats are still part of the system.

We recently went over this again on (yet) another thread https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/emissions.20592/

Yea but you have to watch out for the ministry sniffer dogs....dont take it in when they are about
Steve
Tojomotorsuk

Even then it should pass, the MOT man is only correctly following the rules as laid out by DVSA.

Simon

Last edited:
This great news to me Lpgc! I removed the secondary CATS two months ago with straight pipe, but I do have LPG installed, so means next time its in for a service will get them to remove the primary CATs.

More powers?

Taking the front cats isn't a simple job , because they are so near the top of the exhaust near the manifold , a lot of people tojomotors included, drop the engine other wise I understand its one he'll of a job to remove them . You need to be careful that the manifold studs don't snap , if they do its engine out. Im sure Steve (tojomotors ) will have a view on this . That's how I had mine done , by Steve at tojomotors. 😎👍

If you can , get a new stainless system put on .

i cant find the stainless version. do you know where i can buy it?
in germany we dont have much parts for Elgrand. i guess there are only 10 owners in germany haha

You need to get one made by an exhaust shop.

Back