• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

What, straight through from manifold?

I've had a look under the el g and I think I've only got 1 cat on each side, I think off side is just a link pipe from cat to back box and near side looks like a large piece of braided hose from cat to same back box. I would put pics on but not sure how to do it

I've had a look under the el g and I think I've only got 1 cat on each side, I think off side is just a link pipe from cat to back box and near side looks like a large piece of braided hose from cat to same back box. I would put pics on but not sure how to do it
Front cats are right up on the manifold out of sight, the ones underneath are the rear ones most folk remove.

who got the popcorn and beer first :rolleyes: then read the post :grinning:

I guess there's no way of knowing the rears have been de-cored without whipping them of and taking a peek ?

now interestingly (and certainly don't want to ignite flame wars as I basically know nothing at this point) I asked one of the main importers if I should keep money back to have them de-cored (based on the info here) and was told it was bunkum & that the recall fixed the issue. appreciate you pays your money you takes your choice, but on balance the agreement is better safe than sorry ?

There are a few despicable dealers who continue to deny the cat issue. You only need to read the several horror stories on here to know that they are blatant liars.

The recall fixed the cars over fuelling issue yes. But who knows when the recall was carried out, at what age/mileage had the vehicle covered by the time it was done.
Unless Nissan replaced the front cats at the same time as the recall then the damage has already been started to those primary cats.
And it's not only the over fuelling that courses cats to breakdown. Several other factors come into the equation as well.

Why oh why do some dealers/importers still say there is no problem with the cats 🤷‍♂️

now interestingly (and certainly don't want to ignite flame wars as I basically know nothing at this point) I asked one of the main importers if I should keep money back to have them de-cored (based on the info here) and was told it was bunkum & that the recall fixed the issue. appreciate you pays your money you takes your choice, but on balance the agreement is better safe than sorry ?
If you want to know about polishing cars ask your importer!....he probably knows about that.... but he doesnt know ANYTHING about elgrands!
The cat recall did sweet f.all...... just a load of bullshit to keep the punters quite , .... but i guess the bullshit works it has got people believing it.
BEFORE REMOVING ANYTHING CHECK THE CONDITION ON THE FRONT CATS!!!
Told people this no end of times , if you dont you could well be digging a deeper hole.
Do it right and you will never have a days worry about anything to do with cats , cut corners and you might have.
Its a well know issue if everybody did it right it would be dead and buried.

Steve Tojomotorsuk

If you want to know about polishing cars ask your importer!....he probably knows about that.... but he doesnt know ANYTHING about elgrands!
The cat recall did sweet f.all...... just a load of bullshit to keep the punters quite , .... but i guess the bullshit works it has got people believing it.
BEFORE REMOVING ANYTHING CHECK THE CONDITION ON THE FRONT CATS!!!
Told people this no end of times , if you dont you could well be digging a deeper hole.
Do it right and you will never have a days worry about anything to do with cats , cut corners and you might have.
Its a well know issue if everybody did it right it would be dead and buried.

Steve Tojomotorsuk
My rears were done by the importer , who has been importing them for 20 years and always does the rears b4 you get hold of it and our friendly steve from tojomotors did my fronts a while ago , so I have no worries. Cheers Steve. 😎👍

Appreciate the honest feedback. Going along a view a few at the weekend - certainly wary of the advice being given and will make me think twice. i'm prob fixating on the camper conversion quality rather than the base vehicle. i'll be sure to check out the traders section to get an idea of more importers to look at

Never was an overfueling issue....( if you believe in that you still believe in fairytales). Nissan (nor any of the other manufacturers) wanted to admit that in thier quest to get lower emmisions and please all the greenies they had fucked up and pushed primary cats to close to the engine. So it was blamed on overfuelling... less controversial than emissions..... as for Nissan renewing primary cats????.... nope they removed them! ....job done!.... whos to know?. ... no one ! .....for at least 10 or more years than is!
Address it right and you will never have a worry , weve had Elgrands in the garage over 400,000k on the clock running as sweet as a nut
Steve
Tojomotorsuk

Appreciate the honest feedback. Going along a view a few at the weekend - certainly wary of the advice being given and will make me think twice. i'm prob fixating on the camper conversion quality rather than the base vehicle. i'll be sure to check out the traders section to get an idea of more importers to look at
Check double check and check again . There is a plethora of info on here , so if your not sure ASK . Don't think its a stupid question ASK , if you don't ask and you end up with a lemon just for the sake of asking . Also do a good search on here as mist if not all questions have been asked by someone at some point. Better safe than sorry .Good hunting .😎👍

Removing rear cats is fine so long as they checked condition of primary cats and checked they wasnt disintergrating. Also they should change the pcv at same time.
Any deterioration of front cats, them remove front and leave ( clean) rears intact .
Steve Tojomotorsuk

Never was an overfueling issue...
Agreed, I also believe Nissan whitewashed over the real issue.
If the engine was getting extremely rich mixture it could cause failure of cats but regardless of recall or no recall Elgrands don't run anything like that rich a mixture. There are plenty turbo'd vehicles that run much richer mixtures than Elgrands, their cats don't break. I've even read Nissan blamed cat failures on over-fuelling during over-run.. that would be extremely unlikely to break cats even with absurdly rich mixture.

Agreed, I also believe Nissan whitewashed over the real issue.
If the engine was getting extremely rich mixture it could cause failure of cats but regardless of recall or no recall Elgrands don't run anything like that rich a mixture. There are plenty turbo'd vehicles that run much richer mixtures than Elgrands, their cats don't break. I've even read Nissan blamed cat failures on over-fuelling during over-run.. that would be extremely unlikely to break cats even with absurdly rich mixture.
Yep it was all bollocks.
If you mention anything about emissions red flags are raised here there and everywhere ( as the krauts found out).
So blame it on overfueling and have a nice easy life cos we can baffle them with bullshit and they believe every word we say is gospel.....Nissan punter talk!(as well as all the other car manufacturers adopting the 4 cat system on V engines).

True real life interpretation.... .... its too fucking close to the engine for comfort so sort it out!
Steve Tojomotorsuk

Removing rear cats is fine so long as they checked condition of primary cats and checked they wasnt disintergrating. Also they should change the pcv at same time.
Any deterioration of front cats, them remove front and leave ( clean) rears intact .
Steve Tojomotorsuk
Apologies - PCV ?

Back