• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

I have had this problem twice since august. The engine warning light appears in screen and the engine symbol on the dash board lights up. It is followed within 30mins ish by brief intermittent engine stuttering. This first happened abroad in august. A local Nissan dealer in Switzerland cleared the warning and said it was probably electronic. After returning to UK i got my local mechanic to check it but he said as warning had been cleared the diagnostic check didn't reveal anything. I have done 2000 miles since with no problems. On long journey to Scotland over Xmas the problem returned. However i managed to return to Essex without the car showing any further symptoms. Is this the start of Catalytic problems or is it something else? I have been putting various types of petrol in the car from E95 to E99 (depending on availability).

I have had this problem twice since august. The engine warning light appears in screen and the engine symbol on the dash board lights up. It is followed within 30mins ish by brief intermittent engine stuttering. This first happened abroad in august. A local Nissan dealer in Switzerland cleared the warning and said it was probably electronic. After returning to UK i got my local mechanic to check it but he said as warning had been cleared the diagnostic check didn't reveal anything. I have done 2000 miles since with no problems. On long journey to Scotland over Xmas the problem returned. However i managed to return to Essex without the car showing any further symptoms. Is this the start of Catalytic problems or is it something else? I have been putting various types of petrol in the car from E95 to E99 (depending on availability).
It sounds more likely to be crank or cam sensor issues. Failing cats won't throw up a fault code.

I'll be looking into this very soon. Interesting though that the dealer I bought it from said it was not necessary when I mentioned it.

I'll be looking into this very soon. Interesting though that the dealer I bought it from said it was not necessary when I mentioned it.
some dealers would sell their first born to make a sale ; )

some dealers would sell their first born to make a sale ; )

He mentioned something about a recall, but as this thread mentioned, would only delay the inevitable I guess.
Looking at my exhaust, it looks free flowing from what I can see when I rev it.
I'm anxiously waiting for my 10th post - which should be this one - to be able to see the technical forums on how to check and do that.

He mentioned something about a recall, but as this thread mentioned, would only delay the inevitable I guess.
Looking at my exhaust, it looks free flowing from what I can see when I rev it.
I'm anxiously waiting for my 10th post - which should be this one - to be able to see the technical forums on how to check and do that.
it's the most hotly debated topic on this forum - gets people all riled up with differing opinions.

to sum it here's a round up:

http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/f...not-remove-rear-cats-debate.18398/post-234578

don't let it scare you - it's one of those subjects that all car forums have, but it's worth being informed ☺

recall was for the ecu over fuelling and unburnt gas getting into the cats, which could harm them.

Quote from Nissan:

"Catalytic converter damage was found to be happening due to unburned fuel entering the exhaust."

you can check yours here. Your chassis number is located on a metal plate on the passenger side next to the fuse box

http://www.Nissan.co.jp/RECALL/search.html

recall was for the ecu over fuelling and unburnt gas getting into the cats, which could harm them.

Quote from Nissan:

"Catalytic converter damage was found to be happening due to unburned fuel entering the exhaust."

you can check yours here. Your chassis number is located on a metal plate on the passenger side next to the fuse box

Thanks for that link. Looks like my van had 2 recalls, but none implemented
Your car was found as a target vehicle for the following items.
numberContentTypeNotification date (start date)Implementation status
1​
Elgrand recalls Siberian
(part of vehicles produced from 2004 to 2007)
recall2019/02/14Not implemented
Two​
Elgrand's recall
(part of cars manufactured from 2002 to 2006)
recall2013/09/12Not implemented

1​
Elgrand recalls Siberian
Two​
Elgrand's recall

if you don't have one yet, its worth paying for a japanese report - lists all sorts of things (original auction sheet, recalls, accident damage etc)

it's about $60AUD

if you don't have one yet, its worth paying for a japanese report - lists all sorts of things (original auction sheet, recalls, accident damage etc)

it's about $60AUD

Just entered my chassis number, and the report came back as wrong grade. I did another report yesterday, and it came back as correct grade, but no info on recalls.

I'd like to know the details of those 2 recalls. It doesn't really say.

1​
Elgrand recalls Siberian
Two​
Elgrand's recall

those two are for the ecu unburnt fuel and the overheating fuel gauge (not dangerous, but it will either give false readings or just not work)

those two are for the ecu unburnt fuel and the overheating fuel gauge (not dangerous, but it will either give false readings or just not work)

So for the unburnt fuel issue, how can i get that sorted now?

I'd like to know the details of those 2 recalls. It doesn't really say.
Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 10.42.28.png
Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 10.42.17.png

SOunds like the fuel meter one is caused by the lighting too bright in the instrument cluster?

So for the unburnt fuel issue, how can i get that sorted now?
Not sure really.:(

Here in the UK Nissan are not interested, so we have to email Nissan JP and get authorisation from them and then book it in with a main dealer here. Can take a while tho.

A few members have succesfully done that

As your in Aus, I'm not sure how helpful Nissan Aus will be, but worth contacting them with your details (chassis number, problem etc)

I'll see if i can find the Nissan JP email address...

SOunds like the fuel meter one is caused by the lighting too bright in the instrument cluster?
Possibly.

a few members on here have also successfully got the work done in the UK after authorisation form japan.

Awesome... thanks mate... I'll drop them a line. Do I need to get google to translate it to Japanese do you think?
Nah just write it in English. They're pretty good 👍🏼

Back