• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Is it the grey E50?

White e51 I believe. Theres also no mention on it being under sealed. That would need addressing

Hi Guys thanks for letting me join, please could i ask does any one know of a garage near sheffield or surrounding areas that could decore the cats for me? I have bought a 2004 Highway star, and after reading lots of here and online im anxious to get the cats done:( also im due a long journey in a weeks time, am i best getting this done before i go? Many thanks xxx

Hi Guys thanks for letting me join, please could i ask does any one know of a garage near sheffield or surrounding areas that could decore the cats for me? I have bought a 2004 Highway star, and after reading lots of here and online im anxious to get the cats done:( also im due a long journey in a weeks time, am i best getting this done before i go? Many thanks xxx
Sooner is always better than later. PM @Winchester he does an exchange on de cored cats.

@stevemen is in Yorkshire. Not sure if he decores cats but it's worth asking if he does can he fit you in before your long trip.

www.elgrandcarparts.co.uk/

@stevemen is in Yorkshire. Not sure if he decores cats but it's worth asking if he does can he fit you in before your long trip.

www.elgrandcarparts.co.uk/
Many thanks for the info i will get intouch!! Can i just confirm its to 'decore the cats' and this way it is more likely that it will pass its MOT next time round as the cat will still be there sheilded, but just blocked up? Is that right? Also do i need all 4 done or just back 2?

Many thanks! Im sure by now you can tell im all new at this!😂

Many thanks for the info i will get intouch!! Can i just confirm its to 'decore the cats' and this way it is more likely that it will pass its MOT next time round as the cat will still be there sheilded, but just blocked up? Is that right? Also do i need all 4 done or just back 2?

To decore the rear cats means they open up the cats and scrape out all the catalytic materials and then weld it back up so you can't tell. It doesn't make it more likely to pass an mot. It means that it is less likely that the front cats will block the exhaust should they disintegrate. Therefore less likely to knackered your engine.
You can also replace the rear cats with a straight through pipe but that's a slightly more expensive option.

As @Hoobajoob says decore or replace rear cats, with decore being the best option if you trust the mechanic to do the job.

Hopefully @stevemen does them or can recommend someone near to you. Let us know how you get on @Lucypink1 :)

To decore the rear cats means they open up the cats and scrape out all the catalytic materials and then weld it back up so you can't tell. It doesn't make it more likely to pass an mot. It means that it is less likely that the front cats will block the exhaust should they disintegrate. Therefore less likely to knackered your engine.
You can also replace the rear cats with a straight through pipe but that's a slightly more expensive option.

Am I right in saying that both procedures are potential MOT failures?

Am I right in saying that both procedures are potential MOT failures?
Technically yes under the new rules but having the rear cats removed won't make you fail on emissions

If they are decored there would be no way for an MOT inspector to know they'd been done.

Gotcha. I was having a chat with my mechanic on Friday. We discussed the cat issue (which I’m still yet to sort). He mentioned the MOT failure, but then I guess he would if he did the job and then MOT’d it next year. His verdict was to leave things as they are because the van is driving as sweet as a nut and that I’d get warning signs should one of the cats go. I’m not saying he’s right and I’m heeding all the opinions in this thread.

Gotcha. I was having a chat with my mechanic on Friday. We discussed the cat issue (which I’m still yet to sort). He mentioned the MOT failure, but then I guess he would if he did the job and then MOT’d it next year. His verdict was to leave things as they are because the van is driving as sweet as a nut and that I’d get warning signs should one of the cats go. I’m not saying he’s right and I’m heeding all the opinions in this thread.

By the time you get a warning sign the damage is done mate. Get them done, even if you don't want to use your regular MOT guy. You need them sorting I can probably give you a number of someone in port Talbot who will do it in an hour if that's any use.

By the time you get a warning sign the damage is done mate. Get them done, even if you don't want to use your regular MOT guy. You need them sorting I can probably give you a number of someone in port Talbot who will do it in an hour if that's any use.

Thanks, Chris. The dealer I bought the car off said he’d do it for £80, so I have options. Many thanks again.

For £80 he's no doubt doing half a job mate.
Needs to check condition of front cats also. If deteriorated needs to remove or replace them (if removing them need rear cats left in , but must be unblocked and clear). Also need to removed debris from rest of exhaust.
I've mentioned it a number of times floating lumps of broken cat in the exhaust can cause swirling and the dust gets drawn back in the swirl gradually wearing away at the engine.
Best getting it done right that take the risk. We've had to replace quite a few engines that have suffered with this problem even with back cats removed.
Steve Tojomotorsuk

Back