• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Might sound stupid question but what is the values what is measured from exhaust gasses in your country? I live in Finland and it might be different here. Is there a oxygen sensor after the front cats in e51 vq25de?

Yesterday I took my new E51 to @Winchester who replaced my rear cats with pre de-cat versions. Done within an hour and overall a great experience. We talked about Elgrands obviously and was a nice drive from Stroud to Hampshire.

Highly recommend anyone near the South Coast who needs it done tonpay Chris a visit.

Out of interest, I have 2006 V Elgrand. 53,000km on the clock and the rear cats were in good condition. No signs of blockage present but I’m glad I have the peace of mind now that they can’t go wrong in the future!
Could you give me Chris at Winchester contact details please? Thanks

Just about to buy an E51 and this has worried me a bit. I think I'll get a mechanic to modify the cat straight away.

Just about to buy an E51 and this has worried me a bit. I think I'll get a mechanic to modify the cat straight away.
Lovely Jubbley, you know it makes sense...

I certainly did. I had mine in and done the week after I got it.

I've just pointed one of our members to Adrian (@Winchester) - she was not able to peruade her local garage to do the work (given guff about illegality of 'cat messing', offered to put in straight pipes in place of rear cats and then to put rear cats back in for the MOT - talk about work for the boys) and then the place where she'd bought the vehicle from offered to remove the FRONT CATS (would you believe it!) for about twice the price Adrian will swap her rear cats out for!

The logic of removing the front cats was that these are the ones that might break up leading to the blockage in the rear cats. Does this make sense to anyone here? I thought it was the front cats that did most of the 'cleaning' work' - and what about the 'before and after' O2/Oxygen Sensors either side of the front cats- wouldn't they need altering in some way to work correctly?

I've just pointed one of our members to Adrian (@Winchester) - she was not able to peruade her local garage to do the work (given guff about illegality of 'cat messing', offered to put in straight pipes in place of rear cats and then to put rear cats back in for the MOT - talk about work for the boys) and then the place where she'd bought the vehicle from offered to remove the FRONT CATS (would you believe it!) for about twice the price Adrian will swap her rear cats out for!

The logic of removing the front cats was that these are the ones that might break up leading to the blockage in the rear cats. Does this make sense to anyone here? I thought it was the front cats that did most of the 'cleaning' work' - and what about the 'before and after' O2/Oxygen Sensors either side of the front cats- wouldn't they need altering in some way to work correctly?

Unfortunately if you talk to enough people you would end up not knowing what to do. There is at least one major importer still claiming there is no cat issue. Several years ago before much was widely known, I would sell the cars with the cats in place, saying it’s up to you... But now I decat all the ones I sell unless the client expresses their wish to leave them in... some still do.
After a chat on the phone, the new lady member is booked in with me to have the rear cats done, thanks for the recommendation @AlanM

It's crazy, with all the evidence that some people still deny there is a problem or at least a potential for a problem. a huge engine killing problem.

this stupid response by some major dealers really p's me off because the worst posts I read on here are from people who's engine has gone bang due to cat blockage.

THE REASON THAT YOU'VE PROBABLY ONLY EVER HAD A FEW BACK (& BLAMED IT ON OTHER ISSUES NO DOUBT), MR MAJOR DEALER CAT PROBLEM DENIER, IS BECAUSE THIS FORUM HAS ADVISED THOUSANDS OF MEMBERS TO DECORE/DECAT ASAP. :mad:

Shouty rant over :)

Yes, I did tell her to get it done before going to Spain or she might not get back.

I've seen lots of vehicles with 'cotton wool' coming out the exhaust . I don't know the technical term for the stuff but I do know it is the stuff that is generally fitted between the business part of the cat and the metal housing, a kind of padding that holds the innards of cats in place. The stuff always looks fluffy / loose when you cut them open because you disturb it during cutting open, but since it may have been 'disturbed' before you even cut it open and is now (at least) damaged you should de-core the cat(s) that you cut open. Lots of owners on this forum have had problems with catalytic converters and such problems can (and have) led to engine damage... relevant searches on this forum will give more info.

Congrats on buying your Elgrand, I've only had mine nearly a couple of months and have already got to grips with most aspects of suspension and other common general troubles. I convert them to LPG for a living and have converted around 70 over the last 18 months... Just in case you'd like half price fuel! ;-)
How much for LPG conversion on 3.5 Elgrand

How much for LPG conversion on 3.5 Elgrand

Hi, I charge £1695

I haven't counted how many Elgrands I've converted for a while but must be around 140 now, had another picked up by it's owner today.

Simon

Hi, I charge £1695

I haven't counted how many Elgrands I've converted for a while but must be around 140 now, had another picked up by it's owner today.

Simon
hi Simon Are you doing the key fobs yet mate ?

Back