• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

Opinions: Will a new set of rear cats clog just as easily as an old set? Asking as I'm viewing a potential purchase where the owner has replaced rear cats and not the fronts. It'll be a long drive home and I don't want to fuck it up.

I just did the pipes on my E51 yesterday. Ripped out all 4 cats, fitted 2 replacement stainless steel mini silencers with one connected to a new stainless steel flex joint, fitted 2 cat "foolers" for the O2 sensors so it doesn't trip the cmputer, fitted a new mid silencer, all new pipes from manifold to mid silencer but had to make them 2 into 1 before the mid silencer with a Y piece. Must say its already made a difference in fuel consumption and engine performance. Added bonus which wasn't that important is that the car sounds a little more aggressive. Was a relatively expensive exercise but well worth it when you consider the risk of damaging the motor with blocked cats.

Why not just change the cats for new ones, then you don't have to worry for years to come.

That would be about £2k in parts, plus shipping from Japan and fitting. It would be cheaper to import another Elgrand. And you would still have the possibility of failure at some unknown point in the future.

Why not just change the cats for new ones, then you don't have to worry for years to come.

It’s not the rears that fail, it’s the fronts that can start to break up and block the rears, so swapping the rears for others with cats in is like re-arranging the deckchairs on the titanic

IMHO if I'm going to do a repair or modification I want to do it right and only once.

Not to mention the cost saving by not installing new cats but........ If I fitted new cats it would only be like extending the time on a ticking time bomb. Our fuel here in SA is purportedly so bad that some new cars (Ford Ranger) are no longer being fitted with cats from factory because of the issues with them blocking up.

Where are from in SA? I'm from Benoni but now living in South Wales

The only way to go down that route and know you are safe is if you get a new custom exhaust made up from manifold back and replace the quad set up with a twin set up that covers all bases. But... ££££££'s

Hey Bliksem,
My side of the family originally from South Wales. I'm in Muldersdrift on the West Rand
Hey small world I used to live in linden by Cresta centre what Elgrand do you have

Just out of interests, removal applies to both 2.5 and 3.5 yes?

Gotta have a laugh mate... if you can't laugh, life gets too serious :D

Now go get those cats decored :joy:

another cat problem
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-E...=item23b4b34ffd:g:67MAAOSwPntcPgIg:rk:31:pf:0

Still I don't understand one thing...
They says when front cats failure it will block rear cats right? Just I wonder how the front cats failure.. is it time limit for them? Is this happening in Japan too? Or we don't want to spent money for replace the front cats when time is come because of that we are de-cording rear ones..

Still I don't understand one thing...
They says when front cats failure it will block rear cats right? Just I wonder how the front cats failure.. is it time limit for them? Is this happening in Japan too? Or we don't want to spent money for replace the front cats when time is come because of that we are de-cording rear ones..

Nissan done a recall in Japan for the cat fault, so it's happening in Japan.

Back