• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

That's right, cheers Ian.
When I've swapped engines I'll strip the old one (when I get time) and take pics of damage etc.
If you don't mind me asking how much was a new engine?

Shortest reply ever!

Joking aside, I would expect to see scoring of the bores and pistons, and severe wear on piston rings. Valves may be damaged too. If an engine could be fixed by a re-hone plus maybe new rings and pistons it could be doable. but the oil pump could be trashed too. Hopefully the oil filter would have done its job and saved other parts like camshaft, crankshaft etc.
The couple of engines I saw due to cats where a mess , needed rebore , new pistons and rings , also regrind cranks and big ends , about 3k cheaper to buy running engine

If you don't mind me asking how much was a new engine?
I don't think many people would buy a new engine, buy a good used one from a scrapyard or someone breaking their Elgrand instead. I paid £500, on Ebay they seem to go for between £800 and £2500.

Can I ask a potentially stupid question? What blocks the rear cats that doesn't block the front ones?

Can I ask a potentially stupid question? What blocks the rear cats that doesn't block the front ones?

It’s a fault that the front cats can start to break up, the debris then builds up against the rear cats and blocks them

So at what point do the front cats become useless?

Shortest reply ever!
From me anyway mate lol :)

The front cats will be pretty useless as soon as they start to break up but at least with rear cats removed the debris from breaking up front cats can't block the rear cats which leads to broken engines..

An engine running without cats (so if front cats break up and rear cats are removed) will probably pass the MOT running on petrol anyway, it will certainly pass the MOT running on LPG without cats though.

Has anyone got an MOT running on petrol without front/both sets of cats?

Be interesting to see when front ones break up if they actually need to be replaced.

When I put the new (to me) engine in my Elgrand I will be gutting both the rear and front cats, all 4 cats. Well, what's left of them anyway...

Is there any means of telling if the cats have been neutered from the outside ?

No. If it were possible it would be an MOT fail.

Before the recent changes to the MOT a vehicle presented for MOT running on LPG would only have to pass the 'none cat test' which doesn't even call for cats to be fitted on the vehicle... I haven't checked if that is still true following the recent MOT changes, but still a vehicle presented for MOT running on LPG only has to pass the same emissions test as a carb vehicle (which it will pass even if cats are gutted since emissions are lower running on LPG anyway).

Quick query about the cats - the one that can be removed without any additional pipe...if you were to decore it by cutting open the underside, before removing it. could you then remove it weld it up and remount it the other way up? are you able to rotate it 180 so the bottom becomes the top?
Just considering a hatchet job in-situ to try and get it going again, to remedy once I can move it... but if it does remedy it I don't want to have prevented it being fixed to a standard that will pass an MOT?

Don't know what you mean by the one that can be removed without any additional pipe.. If you removed any section you'd need some additional pipe to slot in it's place.
I think the short straight cat section could be fitted upside down.. Of course you'd also need to put the heat shield back on upside down.
You'd be bound to get some cat debris into the exhaust doing an in-situ hatchet job and overhead welding is a pain compared to having cats removed and welding as normal.

I had meant opening up the bottom of the cat, and then driving it with the bottom open until I could re-locate the van to somewhere else and then remove the cat to weld it up and then replace it, but as I didn't have the kit to get into it it doesn't really matter.

Turns out the reason I never did my own de-cat is that the short cat is fixed by bolts that have no heads on them so the only way to get it off will be to drill the bolts out with the cat in-situ....

Same goes for one of the two fixings for the other cat with the longer pipe section. As such I have no chance personally of getting the cats off to look and check that it is this issue, and also to then relieve the pressure if it is the cats and see what the engine is like....

As the missus is stressing about it being in a lay-by looks like I'm going to have to shell out on getting it recovered to a garage to let ehm check that out before making the decision.... what joy!

Just take a hacksaw to the exhaust before the cats... It'll be loud as hell but it's just a make do to get you home/out if the layby

Just take a hacksaw to the exhaust before the cats... It'll be loud as hell but it's just a make do to get you home/out if the layby
true but that is assuming it will still go after teh pressure is relieved...? surely if the damage is as bad as everybody says it will be it wont even go then?

Maybe not, it's hard to say what damage has been caused up to now.

If it was me though I'd chance it, fairly easy to get exhaust welded back up again and if hate to be leaving my van in a layby somewhere

You can sometimes tell whether the cats are empty by tapping them with something like a spanner I noticed a difference in sound between a cored and decored CAT, not sure this will help you though at this moment in time! The decored sounds a lot more metallic sounding!

Back