• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Sat Nav Idea

Lottie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Elgrand
E51
Hi Peeps

I've just attached (temporarily for now) a spare iPad to the top of the info screen. The purpose it to have a sat nav easily visible (my arm blocks the double din view) from the driver's seat. Whilst at the same time not imparting forward vision. Attached picture gives an idea of my efforts.

Other benefits is being an iPad it can use your mobile phone data and have web search facilities.

The sat nav app I'm using (Co Pilot) gives speed camera and over speed warnings, which is very useful.

From the driver's view it looks very good. From the front looking in my version one brackets need aesthetic modification. If I like the idea long term I will sort the brackets.

The screen is ten inch and crystal clear, for now I like it. Open to comments

Attachments

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Great idea, just don't leave it in the car unattended :)

Mark (Madfish)

Administrator & Club Rep NE
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Looks good, I'm a fan of thinking outside the box when it comes to multimedia etc.

As claptrap mentioned though, looks very susceptible to theft if left in the car... Hope it's detachable?

Stempyuno

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Not for me I'm afraid. I'm happy miracasting to the van screen. Good to try these things though.

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
Very good, I'm thinking of making a hinged flap over the top of the original screen with torque hinges so it will hold up on its own. I'd get rid of the front screen and mount it in the housing and fit different rear camera but being S1 I'd loose the heater control display and I haven't as yet worked out what to do about that.

roo32

Premium Member
Reaction score
First Name
roo32
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Watch out it doesn't block your view of the lower left-hand side of the windscreen/road. Good idea and a super-clear display, personally I think it sits too high to be safe, but of course YMMV :)

Lottie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Elgrand
E51
Watch out it doesn't block your view of the lower left-hand side of the windscreen/road. Good idea and a super-clear display, personally I think it sits too high to be safe, but of course YMMV :)
I was concerned as to how much vision it blocked but it is minimal. I will change my original bracket design for a quicker release version but overall I'm happy.

Lottie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Elgrand
E51
Not for me I'm afraid. I'm happy miracasting to the van screen. Good to try these things though.
I had intermittent success with mirror cast, more miss than hit but I know it works a treat for many 👍

Lottie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Elgrand
E51
Looks good, I'm a fan of thinking outside the box when it comes to multimedia etc.

As claptrap mentioned though, looks very susceptible to theft if left in the car... Hope it's detachable?
Yes, detachable. I'm working on a quicker release bracket if I keep it

concept

E51 Owner
London
Reaction score
First Name
E51 Owner
Elgrand
E51
Region
London
as long as it works - its a good idea

always a few things to bare in mind but cant beat quality reliable devices like your ipad over glitchy technology (miracast) not that I have had any experience with miracast in the car but i have at home.

Ive fitted android tablets into cars dashboards before in 2015 on my mercedes SL & Range Rover sport and they worked so much better than anything that was affordable and on the market at the time so I totally know where youre coming from

on the Elgrand you could make a mount to buddy up over the existing top screen
A slide up mech would be great
As others say - would just need to make sure it blends in to avoid unwanted attention

Raif Jackson

E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Raif
Elgrand
E51
I have seen people use velcro tape to secure it to the screen itself. I tried it... It works OK but I like seeing the fuel stats screen lol. Plus side... When taking it off it didn't mark the finish to the trim around the screen!

Malfred

E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Malcolm
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
Be careful, anything that stands above the dashboard is illegal, as a truck driver l have already fallen foul of this.

JohnK

Premium Member
E51 Owner
London
Reaction score
First Name
John
Elgrand
E51
Region
London
Be careful, anything that stands above the dashboard is illegal, as a truck driver l have already fallen foul of this.
Really? I thought you could attach it to the windscreen provided it did not obscure your view of the road. All the advice I've seen suggests placing it low down to the right of your screen. Why do they sell these things with mounts to attach to the screen if it's illegal?
The number of people you see with their sat nav stuck in the middle of the screen blocking their view is worrying.

magpiehj

E50 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Helen
Elgrand
E50
Region
South East
We had a pioneer sat nav built into the dashboard. Fitted by Customice from Chingford (I think). Has been excellent. The reversing cam comes through on the old sat nav screen. We had to have a new dashboard plastic. We wanted walnut to match the other bits but could only get pearly black but this still looks good.

Lottie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Elgrand
E51
We had a pioneer sat nav built into the dashboard. Fitted by Customice from Chingford (I think). Has been excellent. The reversing cam comes through on the old sat nav screen. We had to have a new dashboard plastic. We wanted walnut to match the other bits but could only get pearly black but this still looks good.
I've got a double din but find my arm hinders my view. The factory unit would be perfect if it worked. Hence my idea