• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Rear Screen not lowering!

Adam Cusack

Scotland
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
Hi all, Newbie here.

Had my 2006 E51 Highway Star for 3 weeks now. One issue I can’t seem to suss out is how to lower the ceiling mounted screen. I’ve located the correct button on the dash, held it down as required but nothing happens at all, no screen movement or beep. It also won’t lower from the remote either.
I’ve located a replacement screen but there’s nothing to suggest that will resolve the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Fuse maybe
Thanks for the input. I’ve checked what fuses I can find but can’t say I’ve located one that I can confirm is specifically for the screen/audio system. Will need to hav another look I think.

The rear screen takes a command via the canbus system to lower, raise and adjust angle. The power is taken from the same supply that feeds the other ICE equipment so if everything else is working it's not a fuse. You need to determine whether it's an electrical, electronic or mechanical issue.

The fact that the button doesn't produce a beep could be that the beep sound has been turned off in the menu. The fact that the remote doesn't work either could be that the remote is faulty.

If you are hearing other system beeps then that rules out the beep being turned off. To test the remote, point it at your smartphone camera and it will pick up the infra red so you should see a flash from the IR LED.

When you have determined that the above is correct then you'll need to check that there is power at the screen and then that a canbus signal is being received. The various connections to the rear screen are all fed from the image distributor behind the glovebox.

It may be an idea to first disconnect the battery for half an hour to allow the system to reboot from scratch.

The rear screen takes a command via the canbus system to lower, raise and adjust angle. The power is taken from the same supply that feeds the other ICE equipment so if everything else is working it's not a fuse. You need to determine whether it's an electrical, electronic or mechanical issue.

The fact that the button doesn't produce a beep could be that the beep sound has been turned off in the menu. The fact that the remote doesn't work either could be that the remote is faulty.

If you are hearing other system beeps then that rules out the beep being turned off. To test the remote, point it at your smartphone camera and it will pick up the infra red so you should see a flash from the IR LED.

When you have determined that the above is correct then you'll need to check that there is power at the screen and then that a canbus signal is being received. The various connections to the rear screen are all fed from the image distributor behind the glovebox.

It may be an idea to first disconnect the battery for half an hour to allow the system to reboot from scratch.
Thanks for the info, that’s excellent.
I can confirm that the rest of the system does beep and also that the remotes do work. I bought them as replacements and it does turn the radio on/off etc.
How would I test power to the screen, I removed the screen but there’s no way my meter would reach into the connector to test it.
I’ve had my glove box off already but wasn’t sure what I was looking for, sounds like I’ll need to take it apart again. Is there any risk to disconnecting the battery, will that negatively affect any other systems?

Disconnecting the battery will do no harm other than resetting some of the driver information and menu settings.

Power is from fuse 17 and fuse 38, one is behind the coin tray and the other in the long fuse box in the engine bay. Pins 3 and 4 on the screen connector are Battery 12v and pin 6 is ACC 12v. Looking at the plug, pin 1 is bottom left with the retaining clip to the top. The ordering is bottom row odd numbers, top row even numbers. Pins 1 and 2 are ground. Canbus is 8, 9 and 10, 8 being ground. Pin 12 is an Ignition on signal. All other pins are image signals.

If everything checks out it could still be a mechanical problem.

This seems to be a common issue so if you get to the bottom of it then you will make a few people happy.

Disconnecting the battery will do no harm other than resetting some of the driver information and menu settings.

Power is from fuse 17 and fuse 38, one is behind the coin tray and the other in the long fuse box in the engine bay. Pins 3 and 4 on the screen connector are Battery 12v and pin 6 is ACC 12v. Looking at the plug, pin 1 is bottom left with the retaining clip to the top. The ordering is bottom row odd numbers, top row even numbers. Pins 1 and 2 are ground. Canbus is 8, 9 and 10, 8 being ground. Pin 12 is an Ignition on signal. All other pins are image signals.

If everything checks out it could still be a mechanical problem.

This seems to be a common issue so if you get to the bottom of it then you will make a few people happy.
Excellent, that’s for that info, really useful.
I’ll check those fuses specifically tomorrow and see how I get on with the canbus. That’s great!

Holy thread revival and all that, lol, but did you manage to get this fixed? Picked mine up tonight and managed to lower and raise the rear screen once, but it's not done anything since and I've followed a number of guides to try and fix it

Holy thread revival and all that, lol, but did you manage to get this fixed? Picked mine up tonight and managed to lower and raise the rear screen once, but it's not done anything since and I've followed a number of guides to try and fix it
Let me know if you solve the problem if the non lowering rear screen. Thanks

Same problem with mine. Picked up yesterday screen not lowering. Hopefully this thread will revive 😃

Same issue did anyone find a fix?
I have power at pins 3,4 and 6 but dont know how to test for a canbus signal . I have also tried to open the screen from the setting in the front but this isn't working either (s3 i don't have the 2 tv button) Have notice today i can only turn volume up and down with the remote a i get the bleep when i press the open button (remote has to be pointing at the rear screen to get the bleep). None of the other remote button work and no bleep (not sure if the screen has to be down for other buttons to work ie tv dvd etc ) Any help would be appreciated only had the van 2 days and previous owner said hes never had an issue with it .

Last edited:
Thread revival again.

My woes seem similar to above. Beeps from unit when remote pressed, screen does not lower. But I have removed and semi disassembled and clearly there is a section on the circuit board that has burned out. Any ideas on if this can be repaired?

Also, I'm struggling to attach photos, hopefully you can view the below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...HuQhJLWpyhM4tN4BbW7z6AAjT1GN4al&id=1377442761

Did anyone get to the bottom of this. I seem to be having the same issues. My remote only beeps for the volume up and down. No sign of life or noise when I press the 2 screen button on the dash either

I
Thread revival again.

My woes seem similar to above. Beeps from unit when remote pressed, screen does not lower. But I have removed and semi disassembled and clearly there is a section on the circuit board that has burned out. Any ideas on if this can be repaired?

Also, I'm struggling to attach photos, hopefully you can view the below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02Mwvtimvet76xKGB2rCp48uu36ASTbd83gEHuQhJLWpyhM4tN4BbW7z6AAjT1GN4al&id=137744276

I never did manage to view the photos….

I have the same problem i.e.My remote only beeps for the volume up and down. No sign of life or noise when I press the 2 screen button on the dash either
Where is the fuse for this so that I can check?
Has anybody got any other clue on this?

It seems my screen will not go down either, interestingly I can here a clicking sound from the unit when it is plugged in, I think it might be a bad power supply circuit on the board. I have removed the unit for inspection. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for this unit showing how it connects to the vehicle? I would be very grateful for a copy if possible.

Back