• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Rear Bumper help!

Scunner

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
Hi guys,

Unfortunately after only one month of ownership someone has went into the back of me!! Totally gutted.

I’m looking to try and source a rear bumper but looking at mine I wasn’t sure if it’s standard? Could anyone tell me if it is and maybe any ideas on how I would get a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

AE6A3FFB-66B8-4D70-BAD6-609DD28E5921.jpeg

RobP

Club Rep - Yorkshire
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yorkshire
Picture of the damage.

First repair place I went to said it’s a new bumper but I think I’ll get a second opinion as it doesn’t look past repair to me?
That looks like it'll repair to me. As long as all the brackets are intact behind it should be relatively easy fix and re-spray.
Much easier than trying to find a new bumper too. Get another opinion, usually the smaller independent bodyshops are better for this type of thing.

Scunner

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
Just an update, I went to a Bodyshop that’s done a fair bit of work for me over the years and they have said the same thing. New bumper required. They are going to try and source one from Japan next week. 😞

Crazycraig

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wales
I completely disagree with your Bodyshops have a look at mine. I did this repair myself. Ok not best and out of practice but saved hundreds!
If you were closer i’d Do it for you 😁.

Have faith in your ability, YouTube tutorials plus parts no more than £20, then paint £50 max

Attachments

Harvo

Club Rep Devon/Cornwall
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Devon/Cornwall
Agree with the above posters. I've fixed much worse. Body shops can be lazy. They will have a quicker turn around and more profit fitting new parts. Simple.

Scunner

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
I completely disagree with your Bodyshops have a look at mine. I did this repair myself. Ok not best and out of practice but saved hundreds!
If you were closer i’d Do it for you 😁.

Have faith in your ability, YouTube tutorials plus parts no more than £20, then paint £50 max
They said they could repair it but the crack would eventually return over time as it’s right on the top mount, where the bumper will flex. The fact insurance is covering it I thought may as well get it done right and get a new bumper fitted. I’ll be paying out my excess either way.

Harvo

Club Rep Devon/Cornwall
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Devon/Cornwall
I repaired this and it was split and twisted. Hot knived the crack and it never returned in my ownership.

Harvo

Club Rep Devon/Cornwall
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Devon/Cornwall
They said they could repair it but the crack would eventually return over time as it’s right on the top mount, where the bumper will flex. The fact insurance is covering it I thought may as well get it done right and get a new bumper fitted. I’ll be paying out my excess either way.
That's fair enough.

RobP

Club Rep - Yorkshire
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yorkshire
Fair enough dude, if the insurance are going to deal with it. It costs in the region of £1000 - £1500 to get one imported from Japan. Plus a 3-4 month wait and then it'll need spraying when it arrives.
I ordered an aftermarket bumper from Japan so know how long it takes etc.

Scunner

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Scotland
Fair enough dude, if the insurance are going to deal with it. It costs in the region of £1000 - £1500 to get one imported from Japan. Plus a 3-4 month wait and then it'll need spraying when it arrives.
I ordered an aftermarket bumper from Japan so know how long it takes etc.
Not looking forward to the wait to be honest. I kinda figured it wasn’t going to be a quick fix. Considering I’ve only had it a month I’m not a happy chappy. 😞