• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Push Notifications for your mobile device

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
One thing I've been asked for a lot over the years is "Push Notifications". These have now been enabled for anyone using a NON APPLE device.

This is not some great conspiracy against Apple, but it's the fact that IOS software doesn't play well with others, and the Xenforo development team have been unable, so far, to get it working. Basically unless you build an app specifically in the Apple App Store, you cannot receive any notifications from a 3rd party site. So until the day that Xenforo develop an actual app, rather than purely browser based software, you will not get Push Notifications on Apple devices.

For anyone who don't know what these are, they're the alerts you get on your phone when, for example, you get an email, or someone replies to you on Facebook, or a game you play is trying to sell you something. On a mobile device, these pop up as icons in the status bar at the top, and you can click them to take you to the content they are notifying you of.

I have tested this feature this morning, and I have successfully received Push Notifications on my phone, and when I click them it takes me directly to the content on the forum.

Screenshot_20190604-081946.png

For anyone using an Android/Windows based device, you may have seen a pop up asking if you want to allow push notifications. If you accepted, then you will start to receive them. If you declined, you won't get them.

If you have declined then you won't get them. If you have done this by accident or didn't know what it was, and want to enable push notifications, you can do so by accessing your ACCOUNT SETTINGS. To do this, click on your username in the top navigation bar, go to "Preferences" and about half way down the page you will see a section called "Push Notifications" and you can enable from here. If you have enabled them by accident and no longer want to receive them, the process is the same, just hit "DISABLE PUSH NOTIFICATIONS" rather than Enable.

If you have done all of the above to enable the notifications and you are still NOT getting them, then chances are you have turned off Push Notifications in your actual web browser. I had this issue first thing this morning when I started to test the new feature.

The instructions for this will be dependant on the browser you are using, but in Chrome (mobile) I just went to "Options" (3 dots top right) --> "Settings", "Notifications" and from here I enabled them. You can then select from this menu WHICH websites you want to allow to push notifications through. I turned all mine OFF except "forum.elgrandoc.uk" so that I can only receive push notifications from the forum.

In addition to the browser settings, you may have security settings on your phone that block these notifications as well. In this case you will, again, need to look up how to enable them to get them to work. I can only provide the feature, I cannot control what your device does with that feature.

If anyone has any questions about this feature, please add your comments here and I'll try and help you. But if the issues lies OUTSIDE OF XENFORO (ie specific to your device/web browser" then please look for the answer on Google before coming to me, as I have no control over what device/browser combination you use, and I am not a technical expert.

Last edited:
One thing I've been asked for a lot over the years is "Push Notifications". These have now been enabled for anyone using a NON APPLE device.

This is not some great conspiracy against Apple, but it's the fact that IOS software doesn't play well with others, and the Xenforo development team have been unable, so far, to get it working. Basically unless you build an app specifically in the Apple App Store, you cannot receive any notifications from a 3rd party site. So until the day that Xenforo develop an actual app, rather than purely browser based software, you will not get Push Notifications on Apple devices.

For anyone who don't know what these are, they're the alerts you get on your phone when, for example, you get an email, or someone replies to you on Facebook, or a game you play is trying to sell you something. On a mobile device, these pop up as icons in the status bar at the top, and you can click them to take you to the content they are notifying you of.

I have tested this feature this morning, and I have successfully received Push Notifications on my phone, and when I click them it takes me directly to the content on the forum.

View attachment 19045

For anyone using an Android/Windows based device, you may have seen a pop up asking if you want to allow push notifications. If you accepted, then you will start to receive them. If you declined, you won't get them.

If you have declined then you won't get them. If you have done this by accident or didn't know what it was, and want to enable push notifications, you can do so by accessing your ACCOUNT SETTINGS. To do this, click on your username in the top navigation bar, go to "Preferences" and about half way down the page you will see a section called "Push Notifications" and you can enable from here. If you have enabled them by accident and no longer want to receive them, the process is the same, just hit "DISABLE PUSH NOTIFICATIONS" rather than Enable.

View attachment 19046

If you have done all of the above to enable the notifications and you are still NOT getting them, then chances are you have turned off Push Notifications in your actual web browser. I had this issue first thing this morning when I started to test the new feature.

The instructions for this will be dependant on the browser you are using, but in Chrome (mobile) I just went to "Options" (3 dots top right) --> "Settings", "Notifications" and from here I enabled them. You can then select from this menu WHICH websites you want to allow to push notifications through. I turned all mine OFF except "forum.elgrandoc.uk" so that I can only receive push notifications from the forum.

If anyone has any questions about this feature, please add your comments here and I'll try and help you. But if the issues lies OUTSIDE OF XENFORO (ie specific to your device/web browser" then please look for the answer on Google before coming to me, as I have no control over what device/browser combination you use, and I am not a technical expert.

Done woohoo

Top work boss

Woohoo I've had 2 push notifications already šŸ˜

hmmmmm

getting them on my laptop now but not my phone....very odd indeed

Huawei P10 running latest android...well latest I can have lol

cant see a place in my profile to add mobile number...

nope just realised what's up

my phone is set to deny all push notifications and alerts by default

should work now if someone can like a post of mine and check...

@E51ZRider - I did explain in the instructions above that if they don't work you'll need to check your browser settings.

@E51ZRider - I did explain in the instructions above that if they don't work you'll need to check your browser settings.

I know fella...browser was right but I forgot I had enhanced my security settings on device...the browser will accept but device wont lol

I know fella...browser was right but I forgot I had enhanced my security settings on device...the browser will accept but device wont lol

Cheers bud. I've added a notice to say that the device may have additional security settings that prevent the notifications from working and for people to look up how to do it themselves as I can't give instructions on every device/browser combo... I'd be here all day.

Cheers bud. I've added a notice to say that the device may have additional security settings that prevent the notifications from working and for people to look up how to do it themselves as I can't give instructions on every device/browser combo... I'd be here all day.

yes you would mate

too many devices now

so glad its only android I use for personal...work iPhone I hate lol

All working as it should. Nice 1, especially as it's 10% down to me lol

This works and is a very welcome feature. Thank you.

The only issue I have now is that I'm getting too many notifications and they don't group :joy:

The only issue I have now is that I'm getting too many notifications and they don't group :joy:
Thats why I turned push off on mine.

Back