• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Purchase help

Sml1

E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
Hi all,
I've put a deposit on a 2008 3.5 4wd red leather it's got a 4b grade, purchasing from a dealer in Windsor imports R us
It's the spec I'm after so don't want to back out too quick but have a couple concerns...
The registration is going to take around 5 weeks and the advert states default to 1st Jan?
Also the brake assist warning light is on, the dealer has agreed to diagnose but is having trouble getting the fault code read
I've waited couple weeks and not sure if best to walk, it's a nice car but want to be right as paying top money for it 11k
Would appreciate some advice anyone has had with the BA light on as soon as started
And any advice on this default reg date?
Thanks

Last edited:

bunnykins

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wales
Reaction score
First Name
Sarah-Jayne
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
Sorry I can't really advise you on what to buy, but we've just opened a therapy group for those of us who are waiting on the DVLA with nails bitten down to the knuckles!!

Stempyuno

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Trader
Reaction score
First Name
Stempy
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
See this thread

Sml1

E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
See this thread

Yes did see this, thanks

dognero

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Sorry but with a name like "Windsor imports R us" I would run a mile.

Stempyuno

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Trader
Reaction score
First Name
Stempy
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Me too. Do they decat, underseal etc etc?

Worrying if they can't get a fault code.

Tim C

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Elgrand
E51
Was it raining when you saw the car? The yellow BA light will come on when the wipers are on to tell you brake assist is deactivated, as the radar doesn't work in the rain. If there is a real BA fault it will chime and give a main screen warning, did you see that?

Sml1

E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
Was it raining when you saw the car? The yellow BA light will come on when the wipers are on to tell you brake assist is deactivated, as the radar doesn't work in the rain. If there is a real BA fault it will chime and give a main screen warning, did you see that?
Yes it's a fault as chime and illuminated as soon as started

Tim C

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Elgrand
E51
Yes it's a fault as chime and illuminated as soon as started
It will be a radar unit issue then probably. Sometimes this is fixed by giving the front radar emitter in the front splitter a good clean, if it's covered in crap then it won't work. It may well be these errors aren't actual fault codes.

It's not a massive loss, the BA and cruise control are both pretty rubbish, but I wouldn't buy it with any errors on it. The radar fitted cars with BA and CC are pretty rare too which doesn't help diagnosing faults on them. I bought a fully loaded car, and have found from experience these are the things that have caused me some of my main issues (leaking sunroofs, traction control faults, power door failure, etc) that you don't get on the lower-specced cars!!

Good luck!