Project Kumo - 2001 E50 VQ35 "X"

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
No updates for a while as I've not had money to do anything other than keep it clean... so... today I treated myself to this nice bit of kit. £90 from Driftworks.

1516792420442.png

1516792437738.png

1516792455159.png

1516792474491.png

This is a Boss kit for an E50 to allow me to fit an aftermarket steering wheel. £90 from Driftworks (it's listed on their site for the Elgrand, so easy to find). And, it even came with a free small bag of Haribo :D

I've enrolled the help of Mr @Madfish to help me fit the new wheel at the weekend, as there is some slight modification that needs to be made. We'll do a how to guide as we do it for future reference.

Will post pics once new wheel is on :D

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
No updates for a while as I've not had money to do anything other than keep it clean... so... today I treated myself to this nice bit of kit. £90 from Driftworks.

View attachment 2497

View attachment 2498

View attachment 2499

View attachment 2500

This is a Boss kit for an E50 to allow me to fit an aftermarket steering wheel. £90 from Driftworks (it's listed on their site for the Elgrand, so easy to find). And, it even came with a free small bag of Haribo :D

I've enrolled the help of Mr @Madfish to help me fit the new wheel at the weekend, as there is some slight modification that needs to be made. We'll do a how to guide as we do it for future reference.

Will post pics once new wheel is on :D
It's an easy job, I left the battery disconnected for 15 mins and never put my head in front of the airbag during the removal though...just in case :sweat:

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
That's a nice looking example of a late model E50 using the E51's engine as they used the E50 as test bed vehicle for it.

Nice spec too and not too much in your face either and the factory mudflaps do it justice. I loved my first Elgrand which was an E50 HW/Star 3.0 Neo model. I would fit a nice sleek looking rear parking camera to where your reverse mirror used to be attatched to and I also notice you have no rear wiper arm???
Elgrand Chrome bars 002.JPG
Elgrand Chrome bars 001.JPG
Elgrand Chrome bars 003.JPG

Last edited:

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Yeah, I can't be arsed with a reversing camera. The sonar works really well, so I've just blanked it off. Might get the studs painted white at some point just to blend them in a little more.

No rear wiper arm. I remove them on every car I own. I hate that scratched glass look you get from using them. If my rear screen gets too dirty, I just clean it. Easy enough to do. Although @Rapperfrapper put a nice little black cap on it when I left it with him last year (I went to Isle of Man from Liverpool, and left my van with him to save parking!)... and some dodgy fucker has nicked it. So need to put something on it again now.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
It's an easy job, I left the battery disconnected for 15 mins and never put my head in front of the airbag during the removal though...just in case :sweat:
Meh - not bothered about that. If the air bag goes off in my face it might make some improvements. And might also get me some time off work :joy: I'm sure @Madfish will ensure the job is done properly. He doesn't like me cutting corners :D

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yeah, I can't be arsed with a reversing camera. The sonar works really well, so I've just blanked it off. Might get the studs painted white at some point just to blend them in a little more.

No rear wiper arm. I remove them on every car I own. I hate that scratched glass look you get from using them. If my rear screen gets too dirty, I just clean it. Easy enough to do. Although @Rapperfrapper put a nice little black cap on it when I left it with him last year (I went to Isle of Man from Liverpool, and left my van with him to save parking!)... and some dodgy fucker has nicked it. So need to put something on it again now.
Some of those plastic white cupboard screw caps will suffice with a tad of glue on them and push them in the thread holes. Job done.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Not gluing anything into the holes - the thought made me shiver. Bolts can be removed :joy:

Hoping to get it LPG converted this year if all goes well... and then I can start looking at other modifications. Need to get it prepped for MOT soon - I'm confident it'll pass, but a once over won't hurt :)

JohnE

E50 Owner
Premium Member
That's a nice looking example of a late model E50 using the E51's engine as they used the E50 as test bed vehicle for it.

Nice spec too and not too much in your face either and the factory mudflaps do it justice. I loved my first Elgrand which was an E50 HW/Star 3.0 Neo model. I would fit a nice sleek looking rear parking camera to where your reverse mirror used to be attatched to and I also notice you have no rear wiper arm??? View attachment 2501 View attachment 2502 View attachment 2503
Love this bus seen it in that other forum

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Not gluing anything into the holes - the thought made me shiver. Bolts can be removed :joy:

Hoping to get it LPG converted this year if all goes well... and then I can start looking at other modifications. Need to get it prepped for MOT soon - I'm confident it'll pass, but a once over won't hurt :)
Push fit white grommits then.

JohnE

E50 Owner
Premium Member
So when it comes to M.O.T time where does she stand airbag wise??? or have you disabled the light completely not forgetting there is a passenger airbag too???
I have fitted airbag resistor which is part of the kit this tricks the car to think airbag is present and have passed mot no problem

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I have fitted airbag resistor which is part of the kit this tricks the car to think airbag is present and have passed mot no problem
Bonus. Lets just hope then you don't get a keen tester who notices you have a passenger one and no drivers side but I suppose if it aint there you cant fail it can you.