• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Power/Snow Mode

Chassis number will tell if it's 2 or 4wd

If there is no big dial on the right hand side of the dash that selects between 2WD/4WD/Auto then you do not have a 4WD. The controls are pretty obvious and directly in the drivers line of sight. They are NOT near the snow/power mode buttons.
Also as above, your chassis code will tell you if it's 4WD

E51 (3.5)/ME51 (2.5) are 2WD
NE51 (3.5)/NME51 (2.5) are 4WD

s-l1600.jpg

had my Elgrand broken into in Oct 2018 just been informed I am getting it back on Monday second phone call to say a button was missing and do I know what it was I contacted the place I purchased it from and was informed it was the power snow button anyone got any idea where I ca purchase a replacement help appreciated
thanks

had my Elgrand broken into in Oct 2018 just been informed I am getting it back on Monday second phone call to say a button was missing and do I know what it was I contacted the place I purchased it from and was informed it was the power snow button anyone got any idea where I ca purchase a replacement help appreciated
thanks
Got plenty of them
Steve
Tojomotorsuk

Where did you get this from? This was going to be something I searched for to find. My Japanese isn't very good lol
https://www.google.com/search?q=Elg...5onhAhVjt3EKHcbrBSoQ_AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=643

I'm not sure about how it affects the petrol E50/E51, but on my derv E50 it gets better mpg around the houses in power mode

I'm not sure about how it affects the petrol E50/E51, but on my derv E50 it gets better mpg around the houses in power mode

This is because in the old 3.2 if you put it into power mode, you keep the rev range in the turbo power band, meaning the turbo works harder rather than the engine, which saves fuel. I do not think this is the case on any other engine type, although claims have been made.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure on my E51, it doesn't just change the gear change rpm thresholds but also the throttle response. In SNOW mode the throttle response is very gradual whereas in POWER it seems like it's direct. In my wife's Juke these are SPORT, NORMAL and ECO. As accelerator pedals are all electric these days, my understanding is the ECO mode reduces throttle responsiveness so as not to waste fuel when pressing the accelerator. You put your foot down but the engine is instructed to increase the throttle at a much slower rate as the speed and rpm increase. Plus, in ECO mode it effectively reduces throttle amounts so at 50% pedal push it might only translate to 35% throttle, whereas SPORT mode would demand full 50%, if that makes sense. I find SNOW operates very much the same as her ECO mode, but with the added interaction of the automatic gearbox as well.

Anyway long story short, SNOW mode returns much better mpg for me, as does 36psi instead of 32.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure on my E51, it doesn't just change the gear change rpm thresholds but also the throttle response. In SNOW mode the throttle response is very gradual whereas in POWER it seems like it's direct. In my wife's Juke these are SPORT, NORMAL and ECO. As accelerator pedals are all electric these days, my understanding is the ECO mode reduces throttle responsiveness so as not to waste fuel when pressing the accelerator. You put your foot down but the engine is instructed to increase the throttle at a much slower rate as the speed and rpm increase. Plus, in ECO mode it effectively reduces throttle amounts so at 50% pedal push it might only translate to 35% throttle, whereas SPORT mode would demand full 50%, if that makes sense. I find SNOW operates very much the same as her ECO mode, but with the added interaction of the automatic gearbox as well.

Anyway long story short, SNOW mode returns much better mpg for me, as does 36psi instead of 32.
Yes, it changes the throttle response as well. Its obvious if you have a Pivot 3 throttle controller. If you put it into the sport mode, it exaggerates the throttle control. If you then switch the Elgrand into Snow mode it then gives slow/subtle throttle changes despite what the Pivot3 is sending out.

Yes, it changes the throttle response as well. Its obvious if you have a Pivot 3 throttle controller. If you put it into the sport mode, it exaggerates the throttle control. If you then switch the Elgrand into Snow mode it then gives slow/subtle throttle changes despite what the Pivot3 is sending out.
I have found this also with my Pivot.

How do you know if you are in power or normal? Does it show up on the screen? I pressed mine yesterday and it didn't seem to do anything but i have only had my E51 since Saturday

There's a light on the instrument cluster.

How do you know if you are in power or normal? Does it show up on the screen? I pressed mine yesterday and it didn't seem to do anything but i have only had my E51 since Saturday
Nice that you got one , it should light up either power or snow on the side of the clocks , mine lights up on the right side of the rev counter .

I haven't driven my S2 E51 much yet (so I may get used to this in time) but what was obvious from the outset is just how sharp the throttle is off tickover; slightest depression of the pedal and it leaps forward. Not a problem on the open road but it certainly focuses the mind in traffic. I was wondering, then, if there would be benefit in (or reason for not) selecting 'snow' for town driving. Any thoughts?

Back