• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Power/Snow Mode

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
All Elgrand's come with a rocker switch to select between three modes:

NORMAL
SNOW
POWER

The three modes control how the engine and gearbox work together.

Snow mode is what it says on the tin really. Put it into snow mode when it's icy. It'll reduce torque to the wheels to allow you to pull away easier and retain traction

Normal mode is also what it says on the tin. Normal. This is the standard setting.

Power mode. This will increase the limit at which the gearbox will change up a gear. This will also kick in automatically if you are in NORMAL mode and put your foot down (say when joining a motorway on a slip road). It will revert back to normal mode once you lift off the accelerator. It's a personal choice, but I have always kept mine in power mode as I think overall it drives better.

When you say it drives better do you mean its smoother , does it affect the mpg as somebody did suggest, do you use the manual mode ever ? I did think of trying manual but not done out yet

I very rarely press the power button on mine but it still goes in to power mode regularly! You don't have to floor it (not on the E51 at least - don't know about the E50?) a quick tap on the loud pedal activates it.

I do occasionaly use manual mode. In really slow moving traffic in auto it can still change up whilst idling and reach a speed high than other traffic so I sometimes use manual and keep it in first. Steep descents are similar, can use manual mode to hold a lower gear. Most often though, waiting for an overtake use manual mode to preselect the best gear - power mode won't help much here, it will change up later but will probably be in the wrong gear to start with and have to change down.

In my e50 3.5 if I know Im going to need it I switch off the o/d and switch on the power button ,

On the diesel engines, power mode actually increases MPG as the revs stay within the turbo power band more. Without it on, it moves up a gear mid turbo boost and then has to spool up again which is a PITA.

With the petrol ones, it will most likely decrease your fuel economy as all you are doing is holding the revs for longer before changing gear.

When you say it drives better do you mean its smoother , does it affect the mpg as somebody did suggest, do you use the manual mode ever ? I did think of trying manual but not done out yet

I find it smoother, the gear changes seem to be more natural for my style of driving. Although I must say that I have an E50 with a 4 speed box. I don't know how the E51 feels with it's 5 speed box. I also cannot comment on manual mode as I've not had one to play with.

I think it's just going to be down to personal preference really. The fuel economy won't be altered THAT much... maybe 1-2mpg variance at most. But again, it also depends on the type of driving you are doing (start stop local / long distance constant speed).

Mine has a button that says +150 NOS on it? with a little red button.

Also has a fire extinguisher with the same crap written on it in the back.

Some people just add buttons for the hell of it.

If it IS Nitrous Oxide ffs donā€™t try putting out a fire with it!

If it IS Nitrous Oxide ffs donā€™t try putting out a fire with it!

Atomic%20bomb.jpg

I tried to switch from normal to power mode in my E50 for a few kms, but I was not able to feel any difference. Does it work together with O/D?

All POWER mode will do is increase the point at which it changes up a gear. You won't really notice any difference unless you are booting it as it will allow the engine to go higher up the rev range before changing gear. O/D OFF gives it that little bit more and restricts 4th gear.

Brilliant in the snow we had. Very few cars about and got some envious looks from the other 4x4 drivers.

All Elgrand's come with a rocker switch to select between three modes:

NORMAL
SNOW
POWER

The three modes control how the engine and gearbox work together.

Snow mode is what it says on the tin really. Put it into snow mode when it's icy. It'll reduce torque to the wheels to allow you to pull away easier and retain traction

Normal mode is also what it says on the tin. Normal. This is the standard setting.

Power mode. This will increase the limit at which the gearbox will change up a gear. This will also kick in automatically if you are in NORMAL mode and put your foot down (say when joining a motorway on a slip road). It will revert back to normal mode once you lift off the accelerator. It's a personal choice, but I have always kept mine in power mode as I think overall it drives better.

Hi Karl - I'm the new boy with a new [to me] E50. My rocker switch says "AWD SNOW POWER". Is AWD = All Wheel Drive?

I guess I'll keep the POWER mode on in my E51, BTW: what's O/D and where it is on E51 HWS? Thanks.

As the nomal mode is always trying (programmed) to find the highest gear giving variable conditions, speed, load, overrun and acceleration (to benefit economy and to use torque over power whenever practical) it is often beneficial to have the power mode set to Sport, in any auto vehicle, to improve ride comfort and response when driving along hilly country lanes by reducing the need for the box to be constantly changing (from the inevitable wrong ratio - which can happen a lot on smaller engined autos) and to maintain a slow but power band to be present to negotiate changes in terrain. An auto approaching a sharp upward bend from a flat or down hill comes to mind or slowing for a blind bend and pulling out from same slightly uphill the auto in normal will have to change down. My2p! :heart_eyes::zzz::D

How can I change from 2wd to 4wd ? the switches are not next to the power and snow switches on my Elgrand 2005 xl

They should be somewhere on the dash some models have them on the right side of the steering. Look around, Is it 4wd? If it is, it may be permanent on 4WD

Last edited:
Back