Poor radio reception in your car?

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Found this out yesterday (although now I think about it, I think I've known about this previously and then forgot).

If you have an electronic device plugged into your 12v charger port (cigarette lighter), there will be electromagnetic interference with your radio reception.

So if you have something plugged in to run a sat nav / phone charger etc... and you find the radio reception is shocking... try unplugging it and see if there is any improvement.

Apparently this is a result of poor quality USB adapters and cables that are not "shielded" correctly.

You may not find any improvement in your Elgrand if you have not given your amplified aerial a power source :)

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Cheers bud - trying to get back on top of things again after a bit of a rocky year or three lol.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Your post @Karl has some bearing on my own radio reception issues:
> I have a Pumpkin Android unit and given previous reports on these units not have good radio reception, I did on first getting the Pumpkin, plug it in to see how it work and it worked absolutely fine. (See my post here.
> Over the next few weeks I added other things like cameras, USB power supplies, camper conversion electrics and so on
> The end result is that my radio reception when driving, is so poor as to be unusable. However, if I park up, switch off everything in the vehicle and power the Pumpkin from my leisure battery, radio reception is fine.

My initial thoughts are that the radio reception is being degraded by in-vehicle electric noise (aka interference). I have yet to make any progress on identifying the problem. In the meantime I listen to BBC radio stations through the iPlayer app on my phone and a Bluetooth connection to the Pumkin.