• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 Pit Warning Screen - How do I clear?

Richard Fox

Double Elgrand Obession!
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Elgrand
E51
Hi all,

Since the garage installed a new battery on my E51 Rider I get this message appear on the screen of the Elgrand and a spanner symbol with the words PIT?

Can anyone tell me how to remove this for good? Is this why my Km/litre counter cannot be reset?

Please anyone?......

If it's this screen
2003 E51 Pit (spanner) Milage Alarm by -BitchinRob ( http://MrRob.in )-

2003 E51 Pit (spanner) Milage Alarm by -BitchinRob ( http://MrRob.in )-

It's one of the 4 user set milage alarms ... To find them
1) turn Ignition on engine off.*
2) press button next to TV for computer options,
3) select car with i on it
4) select spanner
5) select one of the alarms with red highlighted in the bar.
(At this pinpoint you can toggle L & R to inc or reduce milage of alarm)
6 select the bottom button to reset counter to zero

*or Engine ON with AT in Park​

Hi Robin, thanks so much for the information above, unfortunately my message is slightly different.
I have a very similar picture to the top one, but I have two japanese messages in the top right corner I can swap between and then when I hit the back button the message disappears! Thing is it keeps re-appearing every time I switch the car on, is this a warning message I should be concerned about or is it because the battery was changed?

Thanks,

Hi all, been away this weekend in our camper conversion in Scotland - bloody freezing! No probs in starting the Elgrand but the speedo doesn’t work & the handbrake light stays on. Once it’s warmed up & we stop, turn off the ignition & start up again everything works.

However, this morning when we stopped to do the above th the engine warning light came as per the bottom picture. It went off after a while but the small engine symbol on the right of the dash is still on. Before I start ringing the dealer, as it’s under warranty, has anyone else come across these problems? They’ve only started since the temp dropped....Cheers

Hi all, been away this weekend in our camper conversion in Scotland - bloody freezing! No probs in starting the Elgrand but the speedo doesn’t work & the handbrake light stays on. Once it’s warmed up & we stop, turn off the ignition & start up again everything works.

However, this morning when we stopped to do the above th the engine warning light came as per the bottom picture. It went off after a while but the small engine symbol on the right of the dash is still on. Before I start ringing the dealer, as it’s under warranty, has anyone else come across these problems? They’ve only started since the temp dropped....Cheers

Your problem is CEL / EML not PIT service alarm.
GET it back to dealer ASAP.
Has it been de-cored?

http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/r...el-without-a-code-reader-or-diagnostics.5951/ If you want to post the code you find we’ll try and help more.

Hi Robin, nope not de-cored. We’ve only had it since May with 42k on the clock. I was hoping that it was a pre programmed thing like the PIT. I’ll give them a ring. Cheers

Tbh it’s a ticking time bomb until you de-core the rear cats. Their blocking isn’t mileage related (even if it is genuine) best to get that done at same time. Let’s hope CEL isn’t resulting from damaged caused by blocking cats. I may well be it’s the most common trigger. :( But then in your case there are other electrical gremlins...

Sorry I note you don’t confirm the brake warning light is definitely NOT low fluid level which is what it is indicating if the light stays on after handbrake it let off.

Cheers mate, I’ve just phoned the dealer & it’s going in tomorrow. I’ll discuss de-coring the rear cats with him. Many thanks for your guidance. I’ll post on here how I get on in case anyone else has any probs like this.

Well then, just back from the dealer regarding this problem. Turned out it was a fault with the speedo that was triggering the engine warning display. They’ve replaced the wee sensor that converts km to miles & everything seems fine - although I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

As for the de-core debate, the mechanic wasn’t convinced that it’s as big a deal as it’s made out to be. I don’t want to start the whole thing off & I’m not qualified to say who’s right or wrong. I’ll have a chat with a mate of ours who does the servicing for our cars & he can do the reading up on it plus do the job.

Thanks for all your help.

Tbh it’s a ticking time bomb until you de-core the rear cats. Their blocking isn’t mileage related (even if it is genuine) best to get that done at same time. Let’s hope CEL isn’t resulting from damaged caused by blocking cats. I may well be it’s the most common trigger. :( But then in your case there are other electrical gremlins...

Sorry I note you don’t confirm the brake warning light is definitely NOT low fluid level which is what it is indicating if the light stays on after handbrake it let off.
Rob, ive had my rear cats de-cored in advance of collection. Does this mean I wont be suffering any issues running wise from now on??

If they keep causing issues in the UK how the hell did the Japs cope in Japan??? LOL

That’s a good question Brendan. Maybe it’s the difference in climate or the UK roads in Winter or that the cats start degrading after 60000km.......My dealer told me that they have had no cat issues for any Elgrand they have sold whilst under the 3 year warranty they provide. They’re the main dealer for Elgrand campers by volume here in Scotland. I fully respect other people’s views on this thorny subject but, for me, the jury’s still out.

What is a concern to me is contacting the insurance company to advise of the ‘modification’. One may well say ‘OK, no problem’ but when you may need to shop around at renewal other insurance companies may not share the same view. Anyway if my car blows up it’ll be my own fault if I don’t have the cats done!! All the best.

That’s a good question Brendan. Maybe it’s the difference in climate or the UK roads in Winter or that the cats start degrading after 60000km.......My dealer told me that they have had no cat issues for any Elgrand they have sold whilst under the 3 year warranty they provide. They’re the main dealer for Elgrand campers by volume here in Scotland. I fully respect other people’s views on this thorny subject but, for me, the jury’s still out.

What is a concern to me is contacting the insurance company to advise of the ‘modification’. One may well say ‘OK, no problem’ but when you may need to shop around at renewal other insurance companies may not share the same view. Anyway if my car blows up it’ll be my own fault if I don’t have the cats done!! All the best.
Hi Rueben, I have always been a fan of de-catting TBH. it really does serve a good purpose In the end which is why I had mine done.

My E50 H/W star 3.0 neo was a trouble free Elgrand apart from 1 air flow sensor and the intercooler in the first month of ownership. After that and all my mods she was perfect and I always regretted selling her hence why ive returned to " Elgrand land ". LOL.

I just hope my new E51 Rider 3500cc turns out to be a great vehicle too as my E50 was. I know the mpg wont be as good too but things like that don't really bother me especially when I have another V12 toy in my " man cave " LOL.

Regards,

Rob, ive had my rear cats de-cored in advance of collection. Does this mean I wont be suffering any issues running wise from now on??

If they keep causing issues in the UK how the hell did the Japs cope in Japan??? LOL

They didn’t hence the recall for new cats and a remap that doesn’t fix the inherent design flaw with every two stage cat system that is exacerbated on twin sided exhaust V engine when one side stops and other runs on. It’s not just e51 affected it’s an industry wide issue.

Please do take the risk of not de-coring it is your risk & money BUT @Reuben please name the importer / dealer so we can warn all his customers their cars are a ticking time bomb.

I’ve had two e51 both arrived from Japan with partially block rear cores. I’m glad I took my own advice and de-cored then as soon as I was able.

Last edited:
It sounds like they know about the issue & are happy to warrant it for 3 years but I would definitely have the cats done straight after the warranty has ended.

? There is absolutely no warranty on work or damage resulting from blocked cats after recall. It’s still 100% at owners risk. Plenty of recalled cars with remaps have suffered as do e52 so if you think Nissan has solved the twin stage cat blocked hardware with a software update then great BUT you will be proved wrong eventually... or pass the risk on to a subsequent owner.

Back