• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Peeling E51 S3 Rider Grille

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
Hi Everyone,
Ive a peeling front Rider grille and considering the options. Im just sending some emails to Vacuum Metalising companies to see if this can be used on the grille but Im not sure it can. I really like the bling chrome on the front :) I want to keep it as is if possible. Ive seen ones on ebay.com from japan circa $400 + import taxes etc but they are all similar condition.

Has anyone tackling this and had a good outcome to restore back to original chrome?

Thanks.

Stuart

Cemmy074

E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
CEM
Elgrand
E51
Region
Rest Of World
U can buy rider grill £ 100-150. I didntcsee anyone made chrome but I seen they painted different colour and mostly black

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
U can buy rider grill £ 100-150. I didnt see anyone made chrome but I seen they painted different colour and mostly black
Mate thatd be brilliant if I could get another grille for £150 but the series 3 grilles Ive seen are much more then that! Its only got 4 large bars across. older Riders have 5 bars and plenty on ebay.

If you've advice where to look Id be really grateful!

Stu

Cemmy074

E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
CEM
Elgrand
E51
Region
Rest Of World
Mate thatd be brilliant if I could get another grille for £150 but the series 3 grilles Ive seen are much more then that! Its only got 4 large bars across. older Riders have 5 bars and plenty on ebay.

If you've advice where to look Id be really grateful!

Stu
Sorry didnt read proper you have s3 but they r similar price too ..and Some items not coming always to sell just you need to be lucky. Like I bought one mirror cover for £20 in Japan it is £90+ postage etc.. I 'll look and try to find some link. But best option is uk breakers . Try @stevemen he is Elgrand breaker 07708983762
Best regards

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
@dognero did a lovely job of polishing his rider grill, he kindly made a post with photos and guidelines to what he did somewhere.

dognero

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
This is just the bottom one as the top one is plastic
Bottom grill

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
This is just the bottom one as the top one is plastic
Bottom grill
Brill thanks fella.
it’s the top I’m trying to get re plated though. Although the bottom grille is tired. The whole pint is tired tbh I can’t wait till I’ve detailed it all. It’ll look totally different.
im looking into hydro chrome spray. If it comes off I’ll post about it.

dognero

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Seen that chrome spray on the net and it looks canny

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
Seen that chrome spray on the net and it looks canny
Yeah. I’m just about to move home and new place has a nice sized garag. I’ll be buying some and testing another peeled chrome item and if all is well, I’ll be doing the top grille and let everyone know! 😎 it’d be good to help others out ok here for once!

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
I tried the tin foil and salt water trick on what I thought was pitted chrome the other day, after I got started I realised it was plastic! Carried on with it and it came up quite well but not perfect.

Be very interested in how you get on with the hydro plating if you give it a go, think problem with grill will be the size of bath you'll need. Also, not sure about Rider grill but is it only the slats that are silver and back stays are black?

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
I tried the tin foil and salt water trick on what I thought was pitted chrome the other day, after I got started I realised it was plastic! Carried on with it and it came up quite well but not perfect.

Be very interested in how you get on with the hydro plating if you give it a go, think problem with grill will be the size of bath you'll need. Also, not sure about Rider grill but is it only the slats that are silver and back stays are black?
Hiya.
yes it’s not all chrome, although the process I’m considering is a full respray in 2k primer once removed any dodgy chrome, then a base coat that takes the silver solution and then spray it on. I can mask off the rear black part possibly before applying the chrome look.
it looks pretty impressive.
I’ll keep you posted :).

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
Hiya.
yes it’s not all chrome, although the process I’m considering is a full respray in 2k primer once removed any dodgy chrome, then a base coat that takes the silver solution and then spray it on. I can mask off the rear black part possibly before applying the chrome look.
it looks pretty impressive.
I’ll keep you posted :).
Thanks, yes the spray on sort would be much more versatile to apply than the dipping sort.

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
Thanks, yes the spray on sort would be much more versatile to apply than the dipping sort.
I’m already onto discussing what I need with custom creation paints. Their YouTube videos are proper exciting.
hrdrochrome is the stuff. I’ll be building a booth in my new place hopefully to do more then the odd bit. Might try doing the wheels again. :). The multi coloured chrome paint flick are pretty smart too!!!

Pixelpoker

Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
I’m currently stripping mine back to bare plastic with a 50/50 bleach solution (been about a week so far)

It’s taking ages!

going get it either wrapped or maybe sprayed-haven’t decided yet

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
I’m currently stripping mine back to bare plastic with a 50/50 bleach solution (been about a week so far)
What does 50/50 bleach do, strip the chrome top layer?
I was just thinking of giving mine a key and a good etch primer before painting.

Pixelpoker

Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
I was just thinking of giving mine a key and a good etch primer before painting.
Yes.

Strips the chrome and nickel layer underneath the chrome. It’s a messy process and you have to mindful of the chrome oxide (poisonous!) black goop it produces!

I bought 40 bottles of the 17p bleach from Tesco to do it-£5.10p👍

I tested it out on a broken HWS grille I got at a local breakers before I was brave enough to do my rider grill!

I’ll post here the outcome...or pictures of a ruined grill 😜

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
Yes.

Strips the chrome and nickel layer underneath the chrome. It’s a messy process and you have to mindful of the chrome oxide (poisonous!) black goop it produces!

I bought 40 bottles of the 17p bleach from Tesco to do it-£5.10p👍

I tested it out on a broken HWS grille I got at a local breakers before I was brave enough to do my rider grill!

I’ll post here the outcome...or pictures of a ruined grill 😜
Wow. Ok mate that sounds interesting. A Bit breaking badish haha.
I’d probably buy another grille to do it on but I don’t think I’d be doing that simply due to the 2 little girls I have. I just wouldn’t want any possibility of them getting anywhere near it 👍🏼
looking forward to hearing back about that though.
THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH SPRAY CHROME
The object requires a sprayed on base coat in black that the spray chrome reacts to and turns to a chrome finish. That means you get the orange peel finish. I won’t stand that on the grille. It’d look worse then now imo.
there’s a video of a Vw hub cap being done in this manner and it’s super orange peeled finish. I’m not sure on this now 😞

watch the video below. Maybe the paint can be flatted and/or applied smoother then that. I think I could get a better flatter finish but depends on viscosity of this base coat I guess

Last edited:

Lize

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
Reaction score
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
Thats is super orange peely and does make you wonder about the paint application part.
You can get home powder coating kits with chrome powders that look pretty good or electroplating kits but neither any use for plastic grill.
Eastwood do some good videos if you've not seen those although USA supplier.

Tony 118

Premium Member
E51 Owner
London
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Elgrand
E51
Region
London
Thats is super orange peely and does make you wonder about the paint application part.
You can get home powder coating kits with chrome powders that look pretty good or electroplating kits but neither any use for plastic grill.
Eastwood do some good videos if you've not seen those although USA supplier.
Easiest way would be wrap it 👍

Stuartfc69

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
I was thinking the same Liz. A good key I thought would go over the chrome as long as its not peeling but im not 100% sure dont quote me on that. Best to ask the paint supplier.