• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Options, sunroof and screens

Ovlov60

Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Kai
Elgrand
E51
I'm gradually reducing down my list of wants on an Elgrand. What are peoples opinions on sunroofs and rear screens.

Is the rear screen worth it or is it a bit dated and you're better off with a portable dvd unit?

Sunroofs. My thinking being for letting a bit of extra light in for the kids in the back as some Elgrands seem heavy on the tint. Those without a sunroof do you wish you'd gone for one with?

Cheers.

Chris T

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Wales
E-Bucks
First Name
Chris
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
I think one advantage of rear screen is it means there will be RCA inputs, fairly easy to add yourself though.

I've got one without sunroofs, this was a conscious choice as I have never bothered to use them in any car I've ever had, I also figured it's in less thing to go wrong.

Tim C

Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Tim
Elgrand
E51
4wd, twin power doors, sunroofs and electric power curtains were the options I was waiting for. Lots of people do use and like the screens but my family have tablets so when I plugged in a dvd player they couldn't control watched through an old lo-def screen in the roof they weren't interested! Others do use them though.

The sunroofs are cool. Never really use mine to be honest. If it's hot enough for you to open a rear sunroof then your generally letting direct sunlight on your kids heads and you would need to put sunscreen on them! Main reason I wanted them is so you can use them as a top cover position for shooting zombies on the move in an apocalypse situation. Obviously you would also need a trailer full of fuel if you were seriously planning on using a Elgrand as your zombie bug out vehicle....but that's another story....

Robbo

E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Robert
Elgrand
E51
Region
Rest Of World
I had multiple sunroofs in out Hiace Supercustom. Didn't use them, always was annoyed they were there to be honest.
We got a Rider S to avoid sunroofs and leather seats but they're much nicer inside than the more basic cloth models. I intentionally went 2WD for less complexity and mechanical problems/maintenance.
The rear drop down screen in ours is a bonus, not really used as our kids are older but does no harm having it there. I connected the new HU video out to it. We could watch movies in it if we wanted.

Cemmy074

Here for life
E51 Owner
North West
E-Bucks
First Name
CEM
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
Honestly without sunroof inside looks like van so boring . And other great point having sunroof ..after wash the car you can dry roof when using sunroof.. rear screen.. some people says they old quality etc. Yes maybe they've not HD screen but it is doing what it should do ..deffo go with sunroof

Mark (Madfish)

Administrator & Club Rep NE
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Sunroof was an absolute must for me, use mine all the time and they give the cabin that extra bit of light with the blacked out windows...

Rear screen is pointless in my eyes, old tech, tiny and basic connectivity. Aftermarket screens offer so much more for little cost.

Ovlov60

Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Kai
Elgrand
E51
Cheers all. I was thinking sunroofs to let a bit of extra light in for kids in the back. Some tints look quite dark. You seem to of confirmed my thinking on that.

Screen wise, we have a portable dvd player set for the kids so nice but not needed.

Think I now know what options I want on an Elgrand. 😀

Stukos

E51 Owner
Scotland
E-Bucks
First Name
Stuart
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
I'm no expert... I'd guess there's existing wiring that will need to be removed properly.

They'd also need to be removed first before starting any cutting.

I don't think it's a big problem, I just knew I was getting the pop top roof, so didn't need one with sunroofs.

Cemmy074

Here for life
E51 Owner
North West
E-Bucks
First Name
CEM
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
Why is it more complicated @Stukos ? I've seen it mentioned but don't understand why :)
Same job mate rheyxr doing sunroof model too but shame sunroof/s coz of that I always recommended people if you think to convert camper just get basic Elgrand which is much cheaper than other specs..but they never listened lol