• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Nearly 4000 members - work this out please somebody

AlanM

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Alan
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
The M20 gets used as a car park occasionally (and maybe more so after 29th March - oops) - no pubs though but maybe Shepherd and Neame of Faversham could roll out a few barrels? Think of the trade for the local petrol stations?

If there's 4000 ElgrandOC members I reckon there are 3x the number of Elgrands around as lots of owners are not bothered to join us (or even heard of us).

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Only have one now , most I have owned at one time is 3 , but still interested in number of active members
In the last 6 months we have had 2,235 different members use the forum.
In the last 12 months we have had 3,286 different members use the forum.

In January 19 alone... 519 members.

I do try and keep on top of the active members thing. If someone hasn't been on the site for the last 2 years, I delete their account (assuming they are NOT premium).

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I did a calculation last year at some point based on the rules of statistics.
That being the 90:10 rule.
So out of 100 owners of a car, 90 of them will not be enthusiasts, 10 of them will be.
Then you apply the same logic in terms of enthusiasts and people who want to go to meets.

We have 3,670 members who are NOT marked down as "Rest Of World"... so assume they are UK based.
Of them you have to make a deduction for people who have joined to get an answer to a question, but aren't actual enthusiasts... so assume 1000 of those 3,670 were just here to get what they wanted and left.
That leaves you with 2,670, then apply the 90:10 rule and you get, approximately 26,700 Elgrand's in the UK.
As of June 2018 there were 31.5 million cars on the road.
That means that of the total number of cars on the road, the Elgrand makes up 0.08% of the total.

To me that feels about right.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I've sent an information request to the DVLA to see if they can give me details of the number of Elgrand's on the road (Taxed and Tested).

See if they come back with anything :)

Steve Thompson

Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
Interesting.
I've always been torn between shouting about the Elgrand and how good it is so the price goes up and keeping stum.
And smug.
Knowing you have the best of the best.
It's personal and a dilemma.

shaggy6boys

E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Peter
still registered on the forum but dont have the elle any more, like the banter and the Elgrand is my favorite vehicle i've owned so nice to keep on seeing what other owners are doing.
i'll have another once funds allow.....

Last edited:

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I've been in touch with the DVLA and the Department of Transport. They both sent me a link to a document that lists all of the registered cars on the roads in the UK.

There is NOTHING on there for the Nissan Elgrand.

There is a section for "Nissan / Missing" which would be for "unknown models". I am assuming that any Japanese Imports that are JDM ONLY cars (like the Elgrand) would fall into this category...
Other JDM cars, that were sold in other world markets, I assume, have their own category (such as Skylines, Imprezas, Supra's etc).

I have emailed them to confirm this, or to see if there is any other data available, but the total for "Nissan/Missing" on the road (registered, taxed and MOT'd) is 19,722. Bear in mind if my logic is correct, this will include all cars that are JDM only, such as the Nissan Largo (which I never see any of). Not sure what other JDM only Nissan's there are in the UK... The Cima is another one I've added to the "missing" list which I know there are some of in the UK.

So 19,722 JDM only Nissan's on the road in the UK. I would say that the Elgrand is most likely to be the most common JDM only Nissan car on the road in the UK (correct me if I am wrong)... so I would say that at least 2/3 of that number are Elgrand.

That makes 13,148 Elgrand's registered, taxed and tested. Then you have all of the Elgrands that have been scrapped or sat in the docks/dealers unregistered.

My best guess from that then (unless someone can point out major flaws in my logic)... we're talking around 15,000 of them in the UK in total, which is 11,700 less than my initial estimate based on "rule of thumb" only. I wasn't that far out :joy:

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Just had a call from the DVLA (shock horror I know), and a very nice man explained to me that at the moment, their system is not set up to identfy vehicles that are made for other world markets only (such as the Elgrand). So this confirms that my assumption was correct and that out Elgrand's are captured within that "Nissan/Missing" category.

I was a little shocked to hear from them actually... but nice to know that they do look into these queries. The guy had looked into it for me, but was ringing to say that unfortunately at this time they cannot give me any further detail.

I did say I'd got a best guess using some very rough calculations and he did ask out of curiosity how many I believed were on the roads and explained the logic... and he said "you know more about these cars than me" :joy: