My fairly basic conversion

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
One thing I have not yet sorted is a way to stop splashes & heat from cooking spoiling the upholstery, the back of the hob is fine, the hob has a glass lid, what I would like is something for protecting the sides & top. Any sugestions that would be lightweight & fairly cheap would be appreciated.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
IKEA do some lightweight aluminium work top splash backs ... I need to go have a look at them ... I will report back.

JDM 03 Nissan Elgrand E51 vg - CAN 03 Chevy Roadtrek 190p - UK 03 Toyota RAV4 gx
iPhone Tapatalk app

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi, Thanks for that, funnily enough, that was one of my thoughts, but having gone round & round the maze in IKEA could not find anything suitable. At the moment I have just bodged something up from some odd pieces of Vohringer, but as can be seen, it is a bit ugly, but for now it will have to do as I shall be trying it out next week.

derek h

RE.Taking a feed from road fuel tank to cooker.
I mentioned this query some time ago with a LPG fitter. He answered Yes. On the phone that was. I still think that you are correct. Besides, the amount of "cooking" will probably be restricted to boiling a kettle or boil in the bag. Disposable cylinders, methinks. Got a couple of those already.
Also, not really sure on my mileage yet. Probably leave it 6 months or so. That is 6 months after I get it. The way things are going, next summer will be over by then.
Nil illigitimus carbarundem.
Derek

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
The medium size Campingaz (exchangeable) cylinder lasted a year or so when we only used it for cooking/brewing/warming water to wash in our westalia (with diesel heating but no hot water).

Not cheap but available across Europe.

JDM 03 Nissan Elgrand E51 vg - CAN 03 Chevy Roadtrek 190p - UK 03 Toyota RAV4 gx (iPhone Tapatalk app)

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
With hindsight, having actually used the van, I would have made the left hand side of the bed & cushion (looking to the rear) slightly wider, probably about 2 thirds of the width. As I am a lazy so & so, this would have enabled me to leave the table in position, as it was I found that the bed was not wide enough for me, mind you I am a fatty, if you are of normal size it would probably be fine

kurtcobain

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I love it! Just a quick question... could you do away with the boxes and cushions and use the rear seats instead (like in front of the cooker pod?) and if there is a gap, have a box and cushion to fill it..

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Having previously converted a Toyota Granvia using the seats to (not)sleep on, they were just too uncomfortable, so I ended up having to use an airbed on the top which I found a real faff. With this conversion I decided I needed a bit more comfort, also using the seats would have made it almost impossible to reach across to the pod & coolbox & it would have made the bed even shorter. The boxes also come in handy to store all the bedding & clothing as a bed. I hope that makes sense, if you have any further questions, fire away. Alan

daichi

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Brilliant, just found this post after trying to sleep on the rear seats folded flat, her indoors not impressed !! this is the answer, well done that man, you've saved many relationships with this simple conversion !!:rofl:

nobby62

Here for life
E51 Owner
Great conversion! :clap:, much better to keep the original seats... I would def do something similar If I buy one....

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
View attachment 787 View attachment 788 View attachment 789 View attachment 791 View attachment 794 View attachment 795 View attachment 796 View attachment 797 Modification to "My fairly basic conversion"

To give me a little more room I thought a rear awning would be a good idea, then I got carried away & added a pull out slide that locks in & out, for the kitchen pod. This has added advantages, in that it enables me to use all of the seats without having to remove the pod & also for just an overnight stop I don't have to load up the bed boxes. Also, as an added bonus, it solves the problem I mentioned in a previous post, of splashes from cooking, staining the upholstery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alan, what an inspiring conversion, I'm trying to do something very similar. How did you make the pull-out slide and what does it fix to on the elgrand floor? Tom

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi Alan, what an inspiring conversion, I'm trying to do something very similar. How did you make the pull-out slide and what does it fix to on the elgrand floor? Tom
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the kind comments. As I am not the best at diy, nothing was very complicated, I just bolted a piece of ply onto the seat runners, then bolted two blocks of wood onto each end. The only expense was for the sliders, which cost around £70, I probably went over the top with these, as I wanted to make absolutely sure they would take the weight & also that they would lock in both the in & the out position. Don't though, do as I did & use a piece of ply from an old pallet, it took 5 cans of spray paint as the ply slurped it up like a thirsty elephant & it is still not covered properly.

thanks for getting back to me Alan, you make it sound easy enough for me to give it a go! What sort of nuts and bolts did you use for attaching the ply to the seat runners? Also, where did you get the sliders from? Tom

Also, did you re-register your elgrand with the DVLA ?
I'm trying to do the bare minimum to get mine accepted as a motor caravan so am hoping to add a 600W microwave as a fixed cooker and a small water tank and caravan pump.

alboy

Premium Member
E51 Owner
thanks for getting back to me Alan, you make it sound easy enough for me to give it a go! What sort of nuts and bolts did you use for attaching the ply to the seat runners? Also, where did you get the sliders from? Tom
You have really upset me now, I have just looked up the company I purchased my slides from, only to discover they have now been discontinued & are on offer with a 30% discount. So if you hurry they are on offer for about £50 from a company called
gsf-slides.co.uk/en/products/product-categories.asp

For the nuts & bolts I used stainless steel rod & a combination of stainless nuts & locking nuts, that way I could cut them to the exact length I required. The nuts I just dropped into the seat runners & screwed the rod in, it was a bit of a faf holding the nut in position & it would be an advantage if you have three hands.

great stuff, I'll get my octopus to help with those nuts! Did you re-register as a camper or just keep it as an MPV? I can shave a third off my insurance if it's a classed as a motor caravan so am hoping this will do it.