• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

My Elgrand drove perfect today!!!

Lovely drive to the lakes for some climbing this weekend, would love to say my E50 drove lovely but unfortunately it's still sat on the drive waiting for confirmation of registration. Good times.
Another climber. Best sport there is ;-) Although I think my next Lakes trip is likely to be boating (a mate is just buying a canoe and needs me to teach him some techniques).

Drove 152 mls today to Formby beach.
5 kids, Mrs and me.
Elgrand drove lovely. No problems. Quiet, quick and qumfortable..
Even fairly good on fuel!

Drove to Hampton Court Palace for the day with the family. Managed to average just over 10 km/l which I was pleased with, considering the traffic on the M25. On the way back the missus pointed out that a VW T6 California Beach driver in the next lane was checking the Elgrand out. The side curtains were closed at the time so I was obliged to open them again. He was probably really impressed with the power curtains, I assume he was anyway. He might even be still thinking about them this evening, how quickly they operate. Poor bastard.

Stop going on about the curtains :(

Mine is currently off the road, but i've recently made block-out blinds, a storage unit under the seats and slapped a comfy double bed in. Great little camp-away vehicle for me and the doggo.

My windscreen cracked today big time, a small chip + loads and loads of snow and minus degree temps = Lesson Learned.

BUT
It's been over a year now with the Elgrand and I absolutely LOVE IT. I'm happy every minute I drive it.

My windscreen cracked today big time, a small chip + loads and loads of snow and minus degree temps = Lesson Learned.

BUT
It's been over a year now with the Elgrand and I absolutely LOVE IT. I'm happy every minute I drive it.
I've got a big scratch in mine, right at my eyeline. Hoping for a nice rock chip to finish it off so I can get it replaced.

I've got a big scratch in mine, right at my eyeline. Hoping for a nice rock chip to finish it off so I can get it replaced.
Something like this recently came up on another forum where someone wished their windscreen was a bit more damaged than it was so they could get it replaced. A spring loaded centre punch will make a decent chip in it wherever you want the chip to be, very naughty to damage the windscreen intentionally to allow an insurance claim though...

Is it easy to get a replacement Elgrand windscreen? @Lpgc

Last edited:

LOL. Well I managed it by it getting super frozen and covered in snow and then me trying to rapidly heat and clear it. I reckon the combination of the expansion of the ice, the quick melting and the considerable weight of snow still on windscreen with the final kicker or bumpy roads finished it off. I also learned that my 2WD 2.5 is not good on snow, not good at all LOL. Might actually consider chains on the tires in the future.

Is it easy to get a replacement Elgrand windscreen? @Lpgc
I can only remember details of one person who got a replacement E51 windscreen supplied and fitted through their insurance no problem. I am aware others on forum have had a replacement screen fitted but I don't know the details.

Mine is still languishing on a boat.
in uk Sunday with a bit of luck 👍
Are you happy to buy one without actually seeing it first? I’m not being negative, I’m just wondering if this is the way people are buying cars now. I’m just a bit unsure if this is how I want to buy mine x

I can only remember details of one person who got a replacement E51 windscreen supplied and fitted through their insurance no problem. I am aware others on forum have had a replacement screen fitted but I don't know the details.
I got my windscreen replaced via insurance.. a little bit of a wait for them to source the right screen..blue sun strip and heated wiper ... the cost to replace the screen with new privately would set you back £1,200+ ... make sure you have your windscreen covered on your insurance... all you will have to pay is the excess I think mine was £175

I got my windscreen replaced via insurance.. a little bit of a wait for them to source the right screen..blue sun strip and heated wiper ... the cost to replace the screen with new privately would set you back £1,200+ ... make sure you have your windscreen covered on your insurance... all you will have to pay is the excess I think mine was £175
Yes, and some insurance policies have a windscreen limit, discovered this was the case on another car and ended up having to supplement the cost to the tune of nearly £350.

Are you happy to buy one without actually seeing it first? I’m not being negative, I’m just wondering if this is the way people are buying cars now. I’m just a bit unsure if this is how I want to buy mine x
Quite a few people are buying on the strength of photos and verbal assurances right now, NOT ME, I would not consider buying without seeing it in person. Fortunately I live only 5 miles from Vine Place, they sourced mine, converted it and had no problem at all with me popping in at any time to see what they had in stock and once agreed then popping in to see progress. As you are in Middlesbrough its only 15 minutes up the road (A19) to Vine Place.
Not even brand new bought without seeing is assured - Last year my son bought a brand new Abarth from a main dealer in Stoke, they delivered the wrong colour, with a complimentary bumper scuff and a failed seal on a headlight and yes they immediately took it back as he waited for the correct car with no damage or faults.

Anyone buying one to import from Japan does this. It's all about doing the right amount of due diligence to satisfy yourself. Employing a good agent in Japan or with people working for them there will always help in this respect.

Quite a few people are buying on the strength of photos and verbal assurances right now, NOT ME, I would not consider buying without seeing it in person. Fortunately I live only 5 miles from Vine Place, they sourced mine, converted it and had no problem at all with me popping in at any time to see what they had in stock and once agreed then popping in to see progress. As you are in Middlesbrough its only 15 minutes up the road (A19) to Vine Place.
Not even brand new bought without seeing is assured - Last year my son bought a brand new Abarth from a main dealer in Stoke, they delivered the wrong colour, with a complimentary bumper scuff and a failed seal on a headlight and yes they immediately took it back as he waited for the correct car with no damage or faults.
Bought mine from vine place without seeing it in the flesh. Went off their reputation as I expected there'd be no issues

Drove my E51 Highwaystar to Sydney from Melbourne and back - 2000km+. A few strange noises from the front end somewhere but once I stopped and headed off again they weren't there anymore lol. Might have been running in 4WD contributed as when I switched that off it sounded better. PIT sign with associated Japanese description appeared - I tried to clear it using the instructions in the "Before You Ask" forum but it keeps coming back - machine has just been serviced and oil change AFAIK before I picked it up from the dealer. Overall a nice drive tho - have to check out a few things now to prepare for the next one 👍

Back