After cleaning the wheels the other day they are starting to look a bit rough around the edges. I feel losing the chrome and changing colour, possibly 2 tone with the 2nd colour being body coloured. I have the main colour in my head but need other ideas.
weather has turned im starting to fiddle again. I soon realised that its been almost a year since I got her then I thought i should check when the MOT ran out and it was soon. As I write this it is currently without an MOT sat on the drive. It failed.
Failed on rear pads which is a fair one, it also failed for side lights being incorrect colour. and and insecure O/S mirror. this only moved in an inch due to the motor being broken View attachment 721
While I was waiting for the pads to arrive (thumbs up to BMR) Thought I would give the wheels a good clean.
Took the wheels to The Wheels Specialist to get some ideas on a refurb and colour change, however they said it would be a pain in the arse to keep the polished lip or do 2 colours. 1 colour would look crap.
Got to pick the pads up from the sorting office in the morning and they should be on tomorrow night, then its time to do an oil and filter change and clean the front wheels.
Started the underseal process now I have 2 weeks off.
The hard standing out back is awefull stuff. Loose gravel, dirt flicks up when your cleaning and the axle stands sink into it. After a couple of hours of trying to get the van up high enough and safe enough to work on I ended up leaving 1 front wheel on with the weight going in that direction. Will do the bulk of it and then do that corner once the rest is done. I do have access to a fully equipped workshop however it has no power for the foreseeable and it isn't at the end of the garden.
Gave it a pressure wash and scrub underneath once all trim was removed. Was pretty clean but blew out the cobwebs. Also dropped the fuel tank enough to get behind it. Let it dry over night and masked up the following day. used a rust converter to spray the components that had slight surface rust on them.
As I'm a bit impatient I gave a rear arch the treatment along with half of where the spare goes, this stuff goes on a treat. I was worried that it would look a bit naff as I did like it all white and shiny under there, but the finish really does look quite good. View attachment 1566View attachment 1567View attachment 1568View attachment 1569View attachment 1570View attachment 1571View attachment 1572
So this is how I left the van tonight.
From the front wheels back has been cavity waxed inc doors and a coat of underseal. Had to wrestle the fuel tank back into position that was mare.
I then realised I had to remove the front bumper to do a proper job, but I snapped the left and right grill cross bar mounts, hopefully the centre two should hold it in place.
So after the underseal job was complete the grill needed a freshen up.
Chrome trim was removed from the divider which unearthed 4 holes in the original. After a full and sand I'm stuck with with colour to do it.
Below is the main grill half way through paint, looked much better than the weathered smoked chrome
So the painting of the grill never quite turned out as expected, I wanted a gloss black finish but I ended up with satin black. Did the divider black to as I couldn't be bothered to go to halfords again to get some red paint. I don't think I looks too bad actually, how long it will last is something else.
Took the rear door panels off this week too to investigate the farty speaker as suspected the foam had split. rater than spending £15 on a re foam kit, I took a punt on some bass face speakers for £25 View attachment 1712
I bolted these up and had a guess at which one was the positive wire, thinking guessed right. They worked but didn't sound like much of an improvement apart from no more fart noise. today I went out for a drive and can report they actually sound much better, £25 well spent.