• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Motorcycle ramp with winch

Nick H.

E52 Owner
London
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Elgrand
E52
Region
London
I thought I'd give this project its own thread instead of letting it derail the lpg/petrol thread. The idea is to safely load a heavy motorbike into an Elgrand on your own. A company in France has the perfect solution, for about £1800:

Here are all the bits:

p9027gc.jpg

It's basically a ramp, a pair of chocks and a winch. I think I could do it for a lot less and perhaps improve on the design if I bought some off the shelf bits and adapted them. Here are some bits which might do the job -

A ramp for £130: http://ebay.us/gmQ0QP https://www.acebikes.com/products/foldable-ramp/foldable-ramp/#360view

A chock for £66 https://ebay.us/2q45Bl

A portable winch for £300 https://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/warrior-trojan-portable-12v-4000lb-electric-winch-steel.html Being portable, it could also be used for recovery. It's only rated for 4000 lbs, so for recovery I'd use it with a couple of blocks. Could be a lifesaver when exploring dirt tracks in remote places. (I'm going to remove the Elgrand's body kit to get some ground clearance.)

I've had idle thoughts of similar ideas, but not investigated to see if existing solutions are out there, so you've answered that question for me!
I know others have fitted sports bikes in the back, but given lack of headroom compared to a van am a bit wary of manually loading/unloading.

You could do it much cheaper with a manual winch!

And cheaper ramp/chock

Last edited:
A manual winch would be much more awkward...you'd still have the headroom problem, bent double in the van, grinding away. And you wouldn't have your hand free to steady the bike when something goes wrong, or when the van isn't quite level. Hopefully by shopping around and/or buying second hand I could get the cost a lot lower. There are lots of Chinese 3500 lb electric winches on ebay for sixty quid! Cheaper to get decapitated by one than go to one of those assisted suicide clinics in Switzerland. :eek:

resurrecting, I've just got myself two basic ramps, and I can't be bothered with chocks, so it's tie-downs then I've mounted anchors in the seat rails now there are no seats :)

have not had the time to run it up into it and see whether I end up trashing everything because of the bumper but I'm sure it'll be fiiiiiiine

A manual winch would be much more awkward...you'd still have the headroom problem, bent double in the van, grinding away. And you wouldn't have your hand free to steady the bike when something goes wrong, or when the van isn't quite level. Hopefully by shopping around and/or buying second hand I could get the cost a lot lower. There are lots of Chinese 3500 lb electric winches on ebay for sixty quid! Cheaper to get decapitated by one than go to one of those assisted suicide clinics in Switzerland. :eek:
Mate that is funny, I m hoping to fit a Porteos ramp, expensive, but you ‘d have to be really unlucky for it to kill you.
Me mature guy , bike 315 kg could = disaster. I moved my last piano downstairs ! Treat any thing that could kill you like it’s aTiger ( on the loose in your van) !
Any tips on where to fit eye bolts without hitting fuel line , wiring loom etc. Any help appreciated!

Have you heard any stories about the bull dozer drivers , towing down trees with wire ropes in the 60’s.
Well let’s just say when the ropes snap- it does not end well ! ! !

signal-2021-08-11-155127-2.jpg
All i will say is 1) strap the ramp to the van.
As soon as it unweight the ramp, it pushed it away just as I was about to be in.

Very silly. Got a friend to help lift it in and then rolled it back out.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

been there done that andy but with a mobility scooter probably as heavy as your bike :rolleyes:

With the middle seats removed Can anyone let me know the length between the rear seats and the hatch, I’m hoping for at least 2.2 metres

Does anyone have any pictures with bikes in them? I'm looking at getting an E51 purely for motorcycle transport. Thanks.

Have had my Elgrand for 5 years and always thought it would be great if I can fit my Dirtbike in.
2016 Beta 300RR

So is yes you can and close the rear tailgate. That would be the same for any Dirtbike KTM and so on.
Why didn't I do this years age.🤦

Attachments

• DSC_3484.JPG
    DSC_3484.JPG
    679.2 KB · Views: 23
Back