• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

LPG Conversion or not?

Hi and welcome, easiest way to find all the awnsers you require is get past 10 posts , and all the forum opens up to , me personally if u plan on keeping car I would say yes , only couple of down sides nowadays , it seems to be harder to find garages doing Lpg so make sure plenty around you , and range of Lpg tank ,so get biggest tank possibly, don’t know where u are at but @Lpgc converts them

What are the pitfalls for getting an LPG conversion, is it worthwhile doing if planning on keeping for minimum 4 years and converting to camper?
If you do a lot of miles and are going to keep it for a few years then you will achieve payback. If it's done properly then you won't notice any difference. Welcome along.

Just get Simon @Lpgc to install you wont look back and think it was a waste of time and money.

I got mine in March had it converted done 2500 kms on LPG get a smile everytime I fill up.

Just make sure you're going to do the right sort of mileage over that period to make it worthwhile financially, if you're only going to use it in the UK for a few Summer trips here and there, maybe rethink it :)

I only to 12 miles per day a two three trips a year in UK and still had it done as cost of fuel is half price and when you only do around 14MPG why not?

I only to 12 miles per day a two three trips a year in UK and still had it done as cost of fuel is half price and when you only do around 14MPG why not?

Because it's a massive £cost outlay, if you don't do the right sort of mileage :)

What are the pitfalls for getting an LPG conversion, is it worthwhile doing if planning on keeping for minimum 4 years and converting to camper?
I had my conversion done by LPG Wales just outside of Newport - he has done many Elgrands too and I have no hesitation in recommending him (Pavel is the guy's name and he's been doing LPG conversions for many years). You will also find his prices competitive.

I had my conversion done 3+ yrs ago - I did have an ECU issue (which was replaced F-O-C) When considering an installer, choose one with experience of Elgrands - distance from you is also a consideration if you need to go back for any reason even if it is just servicing or sorting out minor niggles which although unlikley, can happen.

As has been said, LPG filling points do seem to be reducing in some areas, so bear that in mind.

I have a camper conversion and have driven something like 28,000 miles on LPG so payback for me came some while back. The payback period will depend on installation costs and the difference in the cost of LPG vs Petrol - for me the time the payback period occured around 15,000 miles I think?

I had my conversion done by LPG Wales just outside of Newport - he has done many Elgrands too and I have no hesitation in recommending him (Pavel is the guy's name and he's been doing LPG conversions for many years). You will also find his prices competitive.

I had my conversion done 3+ yrs ago - I did have an ECU issue (which was replaced F-O-C) When considering an installer, choose one with experience of Elgrands - distance from you is also a consideration if you need to go back for any reason even if it is just servicing or sorting out minor niggles which although unlikley, can happen.

As has been said, LPG filling points do seem to be reducing in some areas, so bear that in mind.

I have a camper conversion and have driven something like 28,000 miles on LPG so payback for me came some while back. The payback period will depend on installation costs and the difference in the cost of LPG vs Petrol - for me the time the payback period occured around 15,000 miles I think?

Thanks AlanM for the advice, I live just outside Cardiff so will check out LPG Wales. Cheers

Thought about this, it would be nice to have but not sure i'd ever break even on the £1200 ish cost of fitting and servicing every year on top

• I knocked up a simple spreadsheet to help determine the break even point.
  • I didn't take account of servicing costs (which are minor) nor the fact that the engine initially runs on petrol until warm enough to switch to LPG, nor the cost of flash lube (again, a minor cost) but I wasn't after a precise figure either
  • None the less the spreadsheet showed me that, based on the fuel prices around my location at the time, I'd reach the break even point around the 14,000 mile mark.
  • 1597397049190.png

Attachments

• 1597396691436.png
    1597396691436.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 38
Excellent breakdown, really makes it clear ... LPG is something I’m considering and I can now do some sums, if I can find my Casio FX calculator! I only used it 12 years ago, so it should still work ....

Here's my spreadsheet - never attached an xls file to a post before, so I've no idea if it works - give it a go.

Attachments

• fuel costs-2.xls
    16 KB · Views: 48
Got it, cheers! Saves my headache trying to do big sums!

Nah, don't bother. Use a run-around-banger during the week and save the van (and the precious fuel) for the beach on the weekend :)

Nah, don't bother. Use a run-around-banger during the week and save the van (and the precious fuel) for the beach on the weekend :)
I actually have 1.8td runaround banger and have my 3.5 E50 Elgrand Lpg converted , it all depends on the miles planned in car converted ,since I’m upto above 45k since conversion think mine has payed for itself

Back