Importing, patience and a mix up

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
So let's start with the mix up. I spoke to a member on here who would help me import a car, this seemed a great solution to me and so I paid a small fee to get going. A few hours later another agent who's WhatsApp I was on forwarded me a car that matched my specs exactly, I then forwarded this on to the member here to check out, we both agreed it was a good car and one to go for.

So with 5 days to the auction I run this past the wife who was dead against importing and "handing over 5 grand to a stranger in the hope a car turns up at the end of it". After much discussing (arguing) with the wife I had to apologise to forum member for wasting his time as it looked like I would now have to look for a car already in the UK.

Anyway turns out what had happened was my wife had checked through my phone in order to pay the deposit as a suprise 40th present for me, so was just trying to put me off the scent, only she'd paid it to respect autos as they were the ones who sent me the link (she checked my WhatsApp not my emails). Anyway long story short I missed out on the car and pissed off a member of the forum as well.

So I guess this is where my journey begins, and it's having to start with patience for the right car. This is where my issues lies, my list of needs is a difficult list to match, then if you add in my likes I may as well be trying to buy rocking horse shit.

I want a rider S, in silver and 4WD. I want the S as it doesn't have the beige interior and carpets. This combination doesn't seem to come up very often and when it does, it seems to fetch more money than usual, I'd be willing to go for a white rider if that was an easier option.

I will update as I go along but it may be a while before I even find another car to bid on. I will add a list of everything I pay alone the way to try and help people thinking about importing

So this far I've paid out £1094 as a deposit to Respect.

**Update**

Well the car is home (still waiting on plates) but it's got an MOT so I'm going to add final costs here so anyone looking can work out the UK side.

Cost of car, all Japanese costs and shipping to the UK came to £3,839 but take £220 off that as I spent that on seat covers in Japan. So £3,639

UK side fees are as follows
Customs £383.90
VAT £899.84
Clearance fee £49.00
Handling £70
Admin fee £25
DTI £2.50
Lorry to home £130
DVLA fee. £55

So grand total is £5,254.40

I'm happy with that, I've not included road tax or MOT as that's something I'd pay on any car. I've got a 2004 Rider S grade 4B and looking at dealers I'd say on average I'm about £2500 better off for it.

Last edited:

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
So let's start with the mix up. I spoke to a member on here who would help me import a car, this seemed a great solution to me and so I paid a small fee to get going. A few hours later another agent who's WhatsApp I was on forwarded me a car that matched my specs exactly, I then forwarded this on to the member here to check out, we both agreed it was a good car and one to go for.

So with 5 days to the auction I run this past the wife who was dead against importing and "handing over 5 grand to a stranger in the hope a car turns up at the end of it". After much discussing (arguing) with the wife I had to apologise to forum member for wasting his time as it looked like I would now have to look for a car already in the UK.

Anyway turns out what had happened was my wife had checked through my phone in order to pay the deposit as a suprise 40th present for me, only she'd paid it to respect autos as they were the ones who sent me the link (she checked my WhatsApp not my emails). Anyway long story short I missed out on the car and pissed off a member of the forum as well.

So I guess this is where my journey begins, and it's having to start with patience for the right car. This is where my issues lies, my list of needs is a difficult list to match, then if you add in my likes I may as well be trying to buy rocking horse shit.

I want a rider S, in silver and 4WD. I want the S as it doesn't have the beige interior and carpets. This combination doesn't seem to come up very often and when it does, it seems to fetch more money than usual, I'd be willing to go for a white rider if that was an easier option.

I will update as I go along but it may be a while before I even find another car to bid on. I will add a list of everything I pay alone the way to try and help people thinking about importing

So this far I've paid out £1094 as a deposit to Respect.
Swings and roundabouts my friend. I fully get where your missus was coming from too as well as your thinking also. I also encourage you to hold out until the right vehicle for you comes along AND IT WILL. I spent ages looking for my second Elgrand until I bought the one I did which I love but pretty much 2 weeks afterwards loads came on the sites for sale which peeved me off a little bit albeit I am super happy with what I have.

I am not a fan of self importing and or handing over a finders fee and or a big deposit to anything I can not feel, touch or see. That's my view and I wont change it no matter what anyone says. Been stung in the past and it wont never happen again to me.

At the end of the day you have to take your time, don't be rushed or pressured in to anything you don't want spec or colour wise either.

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
To be fair to Sergey, there's no pressure off him at all, and he's incredibly patient too.

I'd love to buy from the UK but that leaves me with 2 choices, it's either go to a reputable dealer and pay £2000 more than I could have imported and got it on the road for or look to eBay and other dealers where you're buying cars that would be a grade 3.5 at best at the auctions.

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Been stung in the past and it wont never happen again to me.
Double negative, which implies that you would do it again ;)

@Chris T - sounds like you had an eventful experience there. I am sure the forum member you were involved with can excuse you for the confusion. Obviously your wife was trying to do the best by you, but as with all best laid plans...

I hope you manage to find what you're after. As long as you are not in a rush, you will get what you want. It takes time to find "the one"... but when you get it, you'll be buzzing. I have always been impulsive and just bought the first thing I liked the look of. It's always cost me dearly in the long run... but seems I landed on my feet with the latest motor - she's a beaut :heart_eyes:

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member

@Chris T - sounds like you had an eventful experience there. I am sure the forum member you were involved with can excuse you for the confusion. Obviously your wife was trying to do the best by you, but as with all best laid plans...

I hope you manage to find what you're after. As long as you are not in a rush, you will get what you want. It takes time to find "the one"... but when you get it, you'll be buzzing. I have always been impulsive and just bought the first thing I liked the look of. It's always cost me dearly in the long run... but seems I landed on my feet with the latest motor - she's a beaut :heart_eyes:
Yup the misses was doing something awesome and can see why she went with the person who had sent me a message on WhatsApp with the link to the car I had made her look at 20 times that day

I'm trying my best to not compromise, but waiting is not one of my great skills.

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Mate, I have zero patience for anything, but honestly, it's so worth it. Some people do get lucky every now and again with impulse buys... but it took me 14 years and too many cars before it worked in my favour!

sppooky

Yup the misses was doing something awesome and can see why she went with the person who had sent me a message on WhatsApp with the link to the car I had made her look at 20 times that day

I'm trying my best to not compromise, but waiting is not one of my great skills.
mate I'm prob worse at waiting than you. Signed up with Respect on the friday 2 weeks ago, paid deposit on the weekend and by wednesday had bidded on and got the car. Sergey was great and put absolutely no pressure on me. I was maybe bit hasty and maybe coulda got a better deal if i had waited, but the spec of the car matched what i wanted and a lot of cars coming through were in a lot worser condition. Only time will tell now if i made the right choice, but unless you pay for a private inspection all you got is the pics and auction report to base your decision on. Sergey helps in this instance as he can also check all the previous auction reports (if any) and see if any extra faults were reported in them.

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
mate I'm prob worse at waiting than you. Signed up with Respect on the friday 2 weeks ago, paid deposit on the weekend and by wednesday had bidded on and got the car. Sergey was great and put absolutely no pressure on me. I was maybe bit hasty and maybe coulda got a better deal if i had waited, but the spec of the car matched what i wanted and a lot of cars coming through were in a lot worser condition. Only time will tell now if i made the right choice, but unless you pay for a private inspection all you got is the pics and auction report to base your decision on. Sergey helps in this instance as he can also check all the previous auction reports (if any) and see if any extra faults were reported in them.
Well I've seen one in white that fits the bill grade 4 but surface rust listed in one area, not sure if I'm being too fussy or if I'm right thinking that's starting off on a bad footing.

Karl

Broken
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Surface rust isn't a problem. You need to remember these are still 10+ year old cars. Surface rust can be knocked off and sorted with underseal on arrival to UK. It's corrosion you want to worry about.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner

No Karl. Never.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Is it just me thinking if Sergey put the car to you, you should have bought it via him or at least have paid him a finders fee if you chose to buy it via someone else? Fair result in the end I’d say.

Oddly I did it the other way and found a better car than Sergey did ... and got him to hold on the one I originally instructed him on & swap my bid to ‘my’ better car.

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Is it just me thinking if Sergey put the car to you, you should have bought it via him or at least have paid him a finders fee if you chose to buy it via someone else? Fair result in the end I’d say.

Oddly I did it the other way and found a better car than Sergey did ... and got him to hold on the one I originally instructed him on & swap my bid to ‘my’ better car.
Like I said it was a simple mix up. I had asked Sergey if the car I wanted was achievable within my budget, then he sent me a link to a car within spec to show me when be replied a couple of days later. In the mean time I had already spoken to, and can commited to deal with someone on here. Simple balls up.

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
And looks like I have to patient for a little while longer, was highest bidder on one this morning, but reserve not met and seller wanted another 80,000 yen, which I think is too much, as did Sergey.

How hard can it be to find a Rider S in silver or white with 3500 engine and grade 4, very hard it seems :D

I had a quick look tonight at past auctions, it seems in the last 6 weeks of auctions there have been 6 cars that match my criteria, so 1 a week. When you add in the fact your expect to bid on 7 cars before you win one I'm starting to think this is going to take some time.

Last edited:

chris wills

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Sergey will sort you out, it may take a while, as i said to you there are not may around with your specs. I have used Sergey as well as our other Jap agent and he is really good. really nice bloke with masses of patience

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Sergey will sort you out, it may take a while, as i said to you there are not may around with your specs. I have used Sergey as well as our other Jap agent and he is really good. really nice bloke with masses of patience
Yes he seems like a nice guy and is quite funny. Looks like I could have got lucky with him sorting it out there and you sorting it when it gets here.

Deand

E51 Owner
And looks like I have to patient for a little while longer, was highest bidder on one this morning, but reserve not met and seller wanted another 80,000 yen, which I think is too much, as did Sergey.

How hard can it be to find a Rider S in silver or white with 3500 engine and grade 4, very hard it seems :D

I had a quick look tonight at past auctions, it seems in the last 6 weeks of auctions there have been 6 cars that match my criteria, so 1 a week. When you add in the fact your expect to bid on 7 cars before you win one I'm starting to think this is going to take some time.
Black one 111k grade 4 USS Yokohama 62105 Tuesday