• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

How to use the motorway

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Well, this popped up in another thread (here).

I thought this would be beneficial for everyone although I've never seen an Elgrand middle lane hogging or sitting up people's arses, so I assume that most people here already know this.

If you DON'T know this, then please read it carefully and take note of it. Because there is nothing more infuriating than people who sit in the middle lane when not overtaking, being forced out into the outside lane where you get BMWankers sitting up your arse and flashing their lights at you because you aren't doing 120mph.

I know I said this in the Facebook group, but the same applies here... if I see an Elgrand with an EOC sticker out on the motorway middle lane hogging or tailgating, I will follow you, remove your sticker, and ban you from the club (and I might slash your tyres whilst I'm there :joy:).

1555341569197.png

Last edited:

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
Same here in Australia, but to make things even more dangerous they overtake in lane A if someone is hogging lane B. They have no concept of 'keep left unless overtaking' Tailgating here is very common too, they are right up your arse even travelling at 120kph. And then there is roundabouts....................FFS

Highway Dave

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yorkshire
E-Bucks
First Name
Dave
Elgrand
E51
Region
Yorkshire
I know I said this in the Facebook group, but the same applies here... if I see an Elgrand with an EOC sticker out on the motorway middle lane hogging or tailgating, I will follow you, remove your sticker, and ban you from the club (and I might slash your tyres whilst I'm there :joy:).
OK so if we are doing it right ,will you follow us and detail our bus for free :innocent:

Lize

Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
E-Bucks
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
to make things even more dangerous they overtake in lane A if someone is hogging lane B
Some people do that here too even though they shouldn't, its one of my pet hates and particularly when you see them weaving in and out of lanes to try and save a few minutes.

Hoobajoob

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Well, this popped up in another thread (here).

I thought this would be beneficial for everyone although I've never seen an Elgrand middle lane hogging or sitting up people's arses, so I assume that most people here already know this.

If you DON'T know this, then please read it carefully and take note of it. Because there is nothing more infuriating than people who sit in the middle lane when not overtaking, being forced out into the outside lane where you get BMWankers sitting up your arse and flashing their lights at you because you aren't doing 120mph.

View attachment 16681
Hooray! Well said @Karl. Maybe one day there will be police cars on our highways inforcing these laws. I have to say I'm generally a calm driver but lane hogging pisses me right off and pisses lorry driver even more so.

malcolmyz85

Part of the furniture
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
malcolm
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Some people do that here too even though they shouldn't, its one of my pet hates and particularly when you see them weaving in and out of lanes to try and save a few minutes.
I do this on a lot of days , on the A1, I’m in lane one doing below 70 and pass cars going 50 or 60 in 2nd or third , I don’t weave from lane to lane but undertake a car if it sits in lane and doesn’t move to left , I no I’m wrong but so r they , and yes two wrongs don’t make it right , would be gd if we had a police force to act on the law

Claptrap

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
Robin
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
I do this on a lot of days , on the A1, I’m in lane one doing below 70 and pass cars going 50 or 60 in 2nd or third , I don’t weave from lane to lane but undertake a car if it sits in lane and doesn’t move to left , I no I’m wrong but so r they , and yes two wrongs don’t make it right , would be gd if we had a police force to act on the law
I agree @malcolmyz85 I undertook a car on the M3 the other day, he must have been doing 45/50 in the middle lane.

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
I undertake middle lane hoggers too.
I don't weave in and out of lanes, but if the road ahead of me is clear, I'm not moving all the way out into lane 3 to pass a car sitting at 50/60 in the middle lane. I'll just keep driving and MAYBE give them the bird as I pass :joy:

Lize

Premium Member
E51 Owner
East Anglia
E-Bucks
First Name
Liz
Elgrand
E51
Region
East Anglia
Sometimes you can't help undertaking but generally I pull out two lanes and then back to the inside lane in front of them in the hope they notice the inside lane, odd occasions they do see the reminder and pull over often not though.

It the ones that do 80, 90+ switching lanes to try and get ahead which seems most dangerous.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
E51 Owner
South East
E-Bucks
First Name
G
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Overtaking on the left is allowed if 'traffic' to the right is moving slower, this is open to interpretation, but weaving and over taking on the left and right is a dick move. If I'm doing 70 in lane one and others are travelling slower I am not going to move across 3 lanes of the motorway then pull back across.

DLWoodie

Active Newbie
E51 Owner
Devon/Cornwall
E-Bucks
First Name
Dean
Elgrand
E51
Region
Devon/Conrwall
Glad to see you include a bit about not driving too close! I am a roadcraft and road safety nut, and nothing winds me up more that people ranting about lane hogging without context! Lane Hogging is rude, inconsiderate and bad driving practice, however, it is not directly dangerous. People driving in fear of being considered a lane hog, frequently change lanes too quickly in to gaps that are not really there; this is very dangerous. While being careful not to hog lanes, lets keep in mind that unless there is a 5 second gap between the car you are overtaking and the car in font of it then you are still over taking!

shaggy6boys

E51 Owner
E-Bucks
First Name
Peter
i under took a middle lane hogger when my dad and i were on the way back from picking up the wifes car, me on lane 1 and him in lane 3
whats worse we were both doing 60.....

and then they look at you like a demon

elgrands are allowed to hog the middle lane.....how are you goona show of both side of the vehicle otherwise on a nice cruise :joy:

BeastFromTheEast

E51 Owner
Midlands
E-Bucks
First Name
Nick
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Middle laners annoy me too. But it sometimes boils down to different people having a different perception of a ‘safe distance’. We all know the 2 second rule (don’t we?!) in the dry, but rarely is that observed on a busy motorway or by drivers of certain marques. But I’ve also noticed that given the situation of being in the middle lane with a slower vehicle in the inside lane that’s 15 seconds in front - some drivers in that middle lane would say ‘well, I’m about to overtake that slower vehicle, there’s no point in moving into the inside lane for a few seconds and then back into the middle lane again’ and other drivers would say ‘I’ve got a few seconds, so I’ll pull into the inside lane, and then move into the middle lane when i get closer to the slower vehicle to overtake it’.
I feel it’s the government/ DVSA to blame. few of us have had a motorway driving lesson and even fewer of us have had a parking lesson. We get taught to reverse around a corner or parallel park into a 100 foot long space on a quiet road, but we’re not obliged to learn how to manoeuvre into the middle of a parking space in a car park with a Bentley on one side and a Rolls Royce on the other.
When I’m Prime Minister, I’m going to do to drivers what gas engineers have to do - retake your exams every 5 years. If you don’t pass, you can’t work on gas. Simple. But it means we learn all the latest regs, practices and can prove we’re still competent.
Rant over.

malcolmyz85

Part of the furniture
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
malcolm
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
Pretty sure @BeastFromTheEast that if your law came into effect , I think the roads would be at least 50% quieter , I’m not the best driver but I am amazed how bad a lot are we no road sense , u no what idiot move they are going to do even before they do it , most don’t even know who has right of way say when passing a parked on the road , no wonder they is so many accidents

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
North East
E-Bucks
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
When I’m Prime Minister, I’m going to do to drivers what gas engineers have to do - retake your exams every 5 years. If you don’t pass, you can’t work on gas. Simple. But it means we learn all the latest regs, practices and can prove we’re still competent.
Rant over.
100% agree with this! 5 Years might be a bit steep as I'm sure the regs and rules won't change that much. I would say at LEAST every 10 years. Although every 5 years wouldn't really be an issue as long as the test fee isn't significant. We, as motorists, already pay through the teeth to be able to use the pot hole ridden roads... wouldn't want a mass protest, up in arms about what would be seen as "another tax on the motorist"