E51 How to Install an Android Head Unit with Bose Sound System

shiru

E51 Owner

sppooky

Thanks Shiru for the feedback. Did you get all the steering wheel controls to work too? Did you have to run an extra wire for the ground?

shiru

E51 Owner
I haven’t run the steering wires yet. That’s the next job. I had to run an extra ground cable from the adaptor (easy enough). Ordered a 4 channel ground loop isolator. Let’s see if that helps.

sppooky

Cool. Let us know if it helps. If you can stick a pic up with it all connected that'll be great. I'm just waiting for the adaptor and fascia to arrive before i tackle it.

sppooky

I ordered it directly with JDMplanet. They do sell them on Ebay as well but they were about £25+ more. Was cheaper ordering it directly from their website. Not sure how long it takes to ship over tho

I spent about 10 minutes last night attaching the adaptor to the double din. Can you clarify what you inserted into the port on the little black box on the adaptor? Can't find any connection that will fit into that.

sppooky

Sorry meant the other end of the patch lead, the jack. Anyway i connected the adapter and plugged in the rear and front speaker phono leads into it but not getting any sound. Did you crimp any extra cables from it to head unit? There is a blue wire from adaptor amp amplification, did you use connect that anywhere?

sppooky

I haven’t run the steering wires yet. That’s the next job. I had to run an extra ground cable from the adaptor (easy enough). Ordered a 4 channel ground loop isolator. Let’s see if that helps.
Right got mine all connected. Got sound coming from the speakers all fine, but like you said with slight hum. Couple of questions I have:-

Did you ground the brown gnd wire from the back of the head unit? Did you also connect the blue amp wire as well as the darker blue amp control wire? I got everything with just the amp control wire in but will go back and connect the amp wire too.

Also did you get the universal patch lead for the steering wheel controls?

shiru

E51 Owner
Sorry didnt replay sooner. Back now. Let me try an answer some of the question

1. patch lead for steering controls; I will attempt tomorrow. Either I will directly hookup the leads from the steering control to the stereo (mine has a learn mode which will analyze the signals and allow you to programme functions). OR I will just butcher the universal patch lead (supplied by incar-tec) and connect to the stereo using the same wires.

2. THe incar tec box is just a steering wheel signal convertor. The input to this is from the steering controls. Output is the patch lead supplied going into the compatible car stereo. You have to order the patch lead to match the aftermarket car stereo. My patch lead is for a JVC head unit. However I am installing a Joying headunit.

3. The hum goes away when you fully install the car stereo. I now believe that this is because the stereo chassis needed to be grounded as well. Although I cant be sure. Bought a ground loop isolator to be on the safe side.

4. I dont have a brown ground wire. There is no harm in grounding the head unit. The incar tec unit has a black ground wire which I connected to the metal frame surrounding the stereo cavity.

5. ONce the mounting brackets are bolted down and ground wire connected the hum almost goes away

6. Only connected the Amp control wire. I dont want to say stuff that is obvious but there is a ANT control wire (for power antenna) and an AMP control wire on most of these aftermarket headunits.

7. I will take pictures tomorrow and post

Last edited:

shiru

E51 Owner
It's also worth noting that one does not actually NEED the Incar tec unit. If you manage to source the correct connectors to fit a nissan car and you knew which wires are which then you can make you own loom customised to the car stereo.

For example one can use this (which is even cheaper):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISO-fits...994780&hash=item28597bab03:g:ScoAAOSw1fJa5wYB

All you need is (using the above):
1. know which wire will turn on the bose amp then attach the amp control wire from the head unit directly to that.
2. If you have a learning headunit you can even attach the learning wires direct to the steering control wires

Rebus

Premium Member
E51 Owner
It's also worth noting that one does not actually NEED the Incar tec unit. If you manage to source the correct connectors to fit a nissan car and you knew which wires are which then you can make you own loom customised to the car stereo.

For example one can use this (which is even cheaper):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISO-fits...994780&hash=item28597bab03:g:ScoAAOSw1fJa5wYB

All you need is (using the above):
1. know which wire will turn on the bose amp then attach the amp control wire from the head unit directly to that.
2. If you have a learning headunit you can even attach the learning wires direct to the steering control wires
You idea sounds much more cost effective, I will be using this when my car arrives, found it even cheaper:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celsus-AIS2260-ISO-Lead/dp/B000TNTTHI

shiru

E51 Owner
Update. After trying to integrate steering controls:

My orignal statement: "If you have a learning headunit you can even attach the learning wires direct to the steering control wires" is NOT CORRECT.

The Steering column outputs 3 wires which (I think) is a resistive output. The chinese generic Android head units (of which I am using) has a two wire resistive input. The incartec steering column unit does the conversion.

I failed today because I thought I could use any old patch lead (JVC in my case) and connect to the resistive inputs of the head unit. Nope.
You need a special lead which incartec sells on their website (search for 29-000)

So if want to integrate steering controls you WILL need the INCARTEC box.

shiru

E51 Owner
You idea sounds much more cost effective, I will be using this when my car arrives, found it even cheaper:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celsus-AIS2260-ISO-Lead/dp/B000TNTTHI
Yes but is it for a NISSAN. I cant see it from the description. Therefore you will have to:
1. Check the BAT+, ACC+, GND are in the right positions on the connector
2. Check the RCA FL,RL,FR,RR + and - are in the right positions on the connector (otherwise you will get no sound or no bass)
3. Amp wire is in the right position on the connector

Hi all.

I've recently got a 2006 e51 and I am looking to change the head unit over. I see some head units only have 2 preouts, where others have 4... Which one do I need? Also, how do you identify which speakers/amp channels are which?

This is probably the first of many questions...

Thanks.