• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Just remember, being as it's white it will use more fuel to provide the extra speed that white one have.
Obvz. I always take this into account.

Just remember, being as it's white it will use more fuel to provide the extra speed that white ones have.
Black ones are stealth. The wind doesn’t even know they’re ploughing through.
everyobe knows that 🙄😂. I wanted a white one but this one was just available to ship within days and I got impatient.
Just out of interest, I’ve had speedo recalibrated to mph. Will that upset the km/l mpg bar? It has NEVER moved since I’ve had it. Few weeks ago. It defo did 18mpg first mixes run. Click to click. So it’s not poorly I’m confident. I think 😂

Just to add, we are going up to Scotland soon and this will be our first long run. Been to Lincs a few times but that's hardly motorway all the way so can't class it as a proper long run.
Will try to remember to reset the trip to see what we get.
That’ll be interesting to see then! Just remember to look at the road now and then. 😊. As a past owner of seriously overpriced, heavy steered, unreliable, NOISY!! My word noisy! SUPER SLOW. van, the Elgrand isn’t even the same league. Worth the fuel for the utter luxury init.

My best MPG has been 23.8 and worst 16.3 so sounds like you are pretty well normal.
Does the throttle controller with cruise make an impact. Surely it does? Gonna get a nice list together and send it over to BMR :). Might be best I go and pickup haha.

Throttle controller is a nice toy to have but I doubt it makes any difference on a run. If however you are hooning around In SP7 then could imagine it having a highly negative impact.

Throttle controller is a nice toy to have but I doubt it makes any difference on a run. If however you are hooning around In SP7 then could imagine it having a highly negative impact.
Yeah ok sure.
One last thing, would driving around in snow mode until I get one (in town for instance) do harm to the vehicle? I wasn’t sure if it slipped the gearbox more putting more wear on the parts? Forgive my ignorance. 😊. It’s just not revving as much and sets off so much smoother. Normal mode it’s like a terrier spotting a rabbit!!

I would avoid using snow mode if it's not snowing, and would likely increase fuel consumption anyway.

Use eco mode when you get your controller and that will nicely smooth the throttle response for gentle driving.

I would avoid using snow mode if it's not snowing, and would likely increase fuel consumption anyway.

Use eco mode when you get your controller and that will nicely smooth the throttle response for gentle driving.
Brill. Thanks very much for all advice. Maybe I just drive the blummin thing and stop flapping eh. 😎

yep stop flapping :rolleyes:drive it like you stole it:p and just pull on the steering ever so gently to the right as you pass a petrol station and it might not notice:joy:
Aye men to that. 😂. I bet it’s the same every time a newbie joins. ‘Here we go again.... 🙄😂

It's no good buying an Elgrand then worrying about fuel consumption. It is what it is. If you are going to keep it for a good while then you could have it LPG converted and you will start to make savings once the cost of the conversion is accounted for by the lower price of the LPG, but how long that takes will depend on how many miles you do.

Hi Stevie,

Same £1595.

If we know £1595 and 7000 miles per year, we just need to know average mpg to calculate payback time.

Suppose you get 20mpg, that's 350 gallons, if petrol is £1.20 per litre that's £1911 per year on petrol.

If LPG is half price (60p) that'd be £955.50 per year but you use a bit more (say 10%) LPG than you would petrol, then again it depends on the price you can buy LPG.. You can buy it at far less than 60p some places, but let's assume 60p and you use 10% more. So now you use £955.5+10% = £1052 of LPG in a year. Actually you'll use a small amount of petrol during the brief engine warmup period too, so call it £1100. So 1595/1100 = 1.45 years = 17.4 months.

Converted about 20 Elgrands so far this year, got another coming for conversion on Monday, another the Monday after, 2 coming the week after that! Got Elgrands booked in through October and November too but not fully booked up, could fit other Elgrand conversions in during that time.

Thanks,

Simon
Where are you based? Would like to get mine converted.

Has anyone tried modifying the cams in their engine? I've had my E50'S VG33E upgraded to use the SJWT S1 Cam... Unfortunately haven't been paying much attention to the fuel consumption lately although I did notice that i can maintain 100km/h at less than 2500rpms now whereas the rpms were closer to 3000 before for the same speed. Have lost some of the power at low revs in exchange.

I think with the VVT on the 3.5 VQ there is little to gain and I wouldn't want it to be any less torquey.

I've read the vq can be much improved by a cam replacement

You may well be right but if I wanted to go to the time and expense of replacing cams I think I might rather spend my money on a supercharger. Replacing only the cams may give improved performance but in the end all it's really doing is shifting the power to a different point in the rev range, so you will gain in some places and lose in others and end up with a peaky response curve.

I noticed I got a lot more torque when I changed to 200 cats and full 2 1/4 in stainless steel exhaust system and better mpg

I noticed I got a lot more torque when I changed to 200 cats and full 2 1/4 in stainless steel exhaust system and better mpg
Nice, cat removal in the e51 definitely changes things and should be done to ensure longevity anyway. Can you give more details about the stainless steel exhaust? I've heard good things about Doug Thorley headers and exhaust but it is even more costly to do than the Cams

Last edited:
I've read the vq can be much improved by a cam replacement
I expect cams from a 350Z if they fit would wake it up but I want low down torque in ours. Shifting power higher up the range may net more drag race credential if you rev it hard but for tootling about it could end up making it worse.
It's a newer and more sophisticated engine than the E50 3.3 so the same things won't always apply.
It uses enough fuel as it is o_O
I'd love to have a custom tune done to see how it could be improved for economy, even if it sacrificed a little performance. It's no rocket ship anyway.

The standard exhaust system looks pretty inefficient but it is quiet though.

Back