• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

FORUM DOWNTIME AND LOSS OF DATA

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
All

This is important.

Our host basically informed us that they were going into liquidation and gave us until the 1st October to move the site to a new server. On the 4th September, they packed up, fucked off and disappeared.

This meant that the website went down very suddenly and we were not prepared for it.

I had a full back up of the site which was done on the 15th July. This is the backup that has been loaded.

In simple terms... any posts, threads, pictures, PM's, new users, member upgrades... basically anything that happened between 15th July and 4th September has been lost.

We are now on the new server, and EOC has now got it's OWN server. No more piggybacking. We have security and have futureproofed ourselves.

I apologise for the loss of data between the back up and the site going down, I should have done more regular back ups, but there is nothing i can do to resolve this, we will just have to pick up where we left off and get right back into it.

So, any users that have ALREADY PAID for premium membership, but are not shown as premium members, drop me a PM with your PAYPAL email address, I'll check the payment and then manually upgrade the account.

Any users who joined since the 15th July will need to re-create their accounts and, again, if you paid for premium membership in that time, same applies as above.

Any orders placed on the shop that have not been fulfilled in this time, all that data has been lost. You will need to email me with your order number (you should have received an email) and I'll make sure the bits you ordered are sent to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys.

Luckily, I started working on rebooting the site at 6pm tonight and had it up and working by 8pm... so we know that the back up and restore system works as it should. More regular back ups will be taken going forward just in case we have any more unfortunate sudden losses of data.

Thanks Karl. I will re-post my dropbox link to owners manuals etc. Keep up the good work, as you know the Aussie forum disappeared last year without trace so having your UK site is a great resource for the whole Elgrand Community. Your time and effort is appreciated.

Thanks Karl. I will re-post my dropbox link to owners manuals etc. Keep up the good work, as you know the Aussie forum disappeared last year without trace so having your UK site is a great resource for the whole Elgrand Community. Your time and effort is appreciated.
I sometimes wish if sites that hold valuable information that know they are giving up... share that info with another leading groups to help other drivers/mechanics etc before they disappeared off the face of the planet.

I sometimes wish if sites that hold valuable information that know they are giving up... share that info with another leading groups to help other drivers/mechanics etc before they disappeared off the face of the planet.

To be honest, I think most of the stuff that was previously on the Aussie forum we have covered. The only stuff we don't have is the Aussie specific stuff for their road laws etc.

Well done, you got it back up and running quicker than i thought =) . I know i don't say much but that's usually because i can find what i'm looking for without having to ask, great wealth of knowledge in here. keep up the great work

Many thanks Karl, much quicker recovery than I expected, I fully expected to get withdrawal symptoms without my favourite read, good on ya.

It all went far too well to be honest. I was saying to the other admins that it didn't feel right. But it went smoothly, the backed up data was complete and everything worked exactly as it should.

The problem i had last time was that the back ups I had were corrupt, so I had to manually extract information and rebuild it all using snippets. This time everything worked exactly as it should and shows that a good back up can be a life saver. I just wish I had a more recent back up, but nothing I can do about that now.

Regular (at least weekly) back ups will be taken now... I will look into automating it to get daily back ups done.

I see where you're coming from Chris.

On this occasion we didn't lose any (more) vital legacy content that wasn't already backed up, so - as good as we are :D - it's unlikely that in the last 6-8 weeks the community has posted something amazing that has changed Elgrand ownership as the world knows it.

Having said that, if you notice any holes, even going way back when (the loss of @Rapperfrapper's detailing guides notwithstanding, as we're not sure its fair to ask him to replicate those beasts) please let the admin team know and we'll do our best to write or replace anything sorely missed.

With regards to sharing info with other groups, if another group wants to create articles based on the information here they're welcome, as long as we're made aware, credit is given, and there's a link back to the original content. Also any new works should be freely available to all and non-profit, just as we intended. If we find awesome info on another free site, this is what we'll do!

But for any one site to be responsible for disseminating content to every other site as soon as it's published isn't desired, practical or even necessary. We are but men, and we do this out of love.

We hope to continue building our reputation as the place to come for Elgrand information, and if others share it fairly (as outlined above), the whole Elgrand community will benefit.

The server disappearing into a black hole in space and time is an awful thing to have happened, and we were pretty demoralised (for about a day)... but we rallied and we're all committed to making Elgrand OC even better than it's ever been.

We've already got some headspinning plans for 2018 that are looking like more fun than a basket full of puppies and a hand full of Bonios.

While lessons have been learned on our side, it must be reiterated that some shady swine shutting down abruptly and scarpering with people's data and money just over a month before a scheduled legal closure isn't something we could control.

Rest assured this and a host of other potential SNAFUs, clusterfucks, and worst case scenarios are being allocated for in future. :cool:

What he said ^^ :joy:

Typically I sorted out me email notifications during that time! It's a bit of a long winded process that took me a few days of unfollowing and re-following each Forum or Thread. Is there any way to manage then globally? (ie I'd like to Follow and get email for everything posted to all forum)

I'm not sure mate, I don't think so, but I'll look into it on the Xenforo support forum.

RIP your inbox... I hope you like messages about E51s and cats!

Oh yep that reminds me I need to re-change in email address to the totally separate one I set up just for EOC too ;) so I can easily ignore EOC email until I want to read them. Works well for me (better than Pushover as 'read' and 'unread' works as you'd expect)

Oh yep that reminds me I need to re-change in email address to the totally separate one I set up just for EOC too ;) so I can easily ignore EOC email until I want to read them. Works well for me (better than Pushover as 'read' and 'unread' works as you'd expect)
If you have (eg) gmail you can set rules and a label, and filter them straight into a folder as soon as they come in. They'll stay in there unread until you're ready. It's not as much faff as it sounds - but then again, neither is setting up a new email address these days...

If you have (eg) gmail you can set rules and a label, and filter them straight into a folder as soon as they come in. They'll stay in there unread until you're ready. It's not as much faff as it sounds - but then again, neither is setting up a new email address these days...

I've only got an iPhone for internet and email etc, so separate email accounts let me manage notifications, sounds, unread, count badges etc far more easily. Skipping inbox/ folders in gmail means I don't get notifications or get too many. I've got a few legacy email accounts so this puts one of them to good use ;)

Back