• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Exhaust Opinions Please!

Clarkie1978

South East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
Hi all....Hope you are all well?

Thinking about exhausts currently!

Do you think it would be stupidly loud to remove the centre box and the rear box and just have a stainless steel straight pipe out the back?

Or how about removing the centre and rear box and just having a new stainless steel back box with no centre box?

What does everyone think?

Thanks as always peeps! :grinning:

I was thinking if I did away with a centre box entirely, it would be less restrictive.

I would want it to enhance the V6 sound without being asbo loud.

Would having no centre or rear box be crazy loud??

I have no back box and standard centre box, and it really didn't make that much difference. Slightly louder under load, but no real change at cruising speed. The sound is mainly controlled by the centre box, as I understand it.
You might have to be the guinea pig for this one @Clarkie1978 and let us know what its like without a middle box 😉👍

I could let you know in a couple of months, I have one on a boat currently which has no middle box

I will have to have a look under daisey... don’t think I have a middle or any rears to be honest..stainless straight through... and yeah she is LOUD
Oh yes... If you could please Peter 👍

DOh yes... If you could please Peter
Oh yes... If you could please Peter 👍
18” middle box and no rear mufflers ... and now I have gravel rash .. it’s loud some might say too loud , but I love the sound she makes , what’s the point of having a 3.5 V6 unless it sounds like one .. that’s my opinion any who .. go loud or go home lol ... it’s a power flow system so I don’t think it’s a standard middle box.

Do you think it would be stupidly loud to remove the centre box and the rear box and just have a stainless steel straight pipe out the back?

Or how about removing the centre and rear box and just having a new stainless steel back box with no centre box?

Done it several times including a v8 rover and regretted it every time. Sounds great for the first couple miles until the headache kicks in.

DOh yes... If you could please Peter

18” middle box and no rear mufflers ... and now I have gravel rash .. it’s loud some might say too loud , but I love the sound she makes , what’s the point of having a 3.5 V6 unless it sounds like one .. that’s my opinion any who .. go loud or go home lol ... it’s a power flow system so I don’t think it’s a standard middle box.
Cheers Peter 👍

Hope the rash heals soon 😉

Maybe I'm getting old👴 but I'm not a great fan of loud exhausts especially some of my locals when i go bed early and am trying to sleep when i have to get up at 2.15 to start at 3am😵also on long drives it can get irritating🙉thats why mine is standard otherwise I'd tig something tasty up in stainless

Yes, but the tip you can choose from a vast array from a 3rd party seller. He can provide you with all of the details.

Its sounds delicious......got this vid, but need a better one.....the mrs was scared to give the loud pedal some hammer :joy:

Yes, but the tip you can choose from a vast array from a 3rd party seller. He can provide you with all of the details.

Its sounds delicious......got this vid, but need a better one.....the mrs was scared to give the loud pedal some hammer :joy:

That looks and sounds epic matey 👍. I bet you are well pleased!!

Is the sound much improved over standard?

I'm so torn between the 14 and 18 middle box!!

Back