• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Ensuring the Future of EOC - 10 Post Rule

I could understand this is if say to had to make 100 posts before posting anywhere outside of the newbie section, but reality is if you posted an introduce yourself thread you'd be past 10 posts within an hour or two, even quicker if your introduction included a question or 2 you had.
Yeah I know Chris, and a lot of folk will. But I guarantee 30% won’t, and that’s a lot of people.
I saw a thread started by a female member asking a question how many other women were in. Simple question... it ended up with members asking to see photos of them and some pretty shitty childish innuendos. It’s a fine balance having a forum and a club that needs to attract people (not just blokes from 1954) and I wholly support Karl and you guys in that; I will no doubt end up paying to support this club when I finally buy one, I would just hope that I can get as much info as poss before I commit.
Sorry if I’ve come across as a bit of an arse, just need a bit of power to the shy newbies...😬😬

But surely as a club you need to attract members, this will restrict that. People won’t know how knowledgable it is, they will just think it is another cliquey club.

Genuine question, do you think this club is cliquey? If so, why?

All we are doing is asking people who view the forum to register, for free... Full access after 10 posts.

It's not going to restrict any new members

Guilty as charged for me unfortunately. We have a newborn in the house and my time time online isn't appreciated recently by 'er upstairs.

Genuine question, do you think this club is cliquey? If so, why?

All we are doing is asking people who view the forum to register, for free... Full access after 10 posts.

It's not going to restrict any new members
No, not really. But it will after this weekend. If people feel restricted in any way then they will just go elsewhere. ‘‘Tis the nature of it. If you guys had an advertising revenue to cover immediate costs then you could welcome everyone without question, premium membership could then go to the actual club.

I can't see how the forum will become cliquey after this ruling comes into force?

We want to keep it advert free, its better for the user experience.

I think a lot of people are seeing this ruling as a financial move, it's not, the club makes enough money through member contributions to keep running and improving.

Having all members register helps the admin team with background tasks as well.

I can't see how the forum will become cliquey after this ruling comes into force?

We want to keep it advert free, its better for the user experience.

I think a lot of people are seeing this ruling as a financial move, it's not, the club makes enough money through member contributions to keep running and improving.

Having all members register helps the admin team with background tasks as well.
I have seen 4 people mention free loaders in 1 day. The perception that some people will have is that if they pay then it is them that are keeping the club alive, and those that don’t pay or even contribute are ruining the club/forum.

Adverts do not have to ruin experiences and can be very specific to each sub forum, it almost always works in a way that most folk wouldnt find too offensive.

Again, I’m just trying to give you guys a view point from someone who’s new. I came up to japfest and looked inside 10 of your cars, didn’t talk to anyone, just tried to convince myself to buy by looking around. If I’d not had that opportunity then I might have joined an alphard group...

See. It's easy to get to 10. Don't believe you've been whining? You've made valid points.
@Harvo initial experience of anything in life is the most important thing that we will remember. If I’d not seen the massive amounts of technical help first and saw just the dodgey comments on a lady members thread then I wouldn’t have bothered posting 10 responses on here....

This is my 10th post and all 10 have been whining about needing to post 10 posts.😫😫 hopefully this won’t affect my future here...

of course it won't - now bugger off back to facebook ;):D

mind you I said the club might be a bit cliquey when I first joined & I've never been forgiven :)

Karl / other full members
As one of those new 'members' ( registered earlier this month ) and now in receipt of a Restricted Access e-mail (until I place 10 posts in the Social area or pay an annual fee) . Ransomware was my first thought...then I read it properly!

Now - It just feels like I am just the kind of member you do not want!

I do not eat, sleep or dream about my old 1996 E50 ( owned her for the past 12 years) - I just try to keep her running reliably and doing what she does best - transporting the family everywhere for everything. It is true to say that we would be completely sunk without her..
From this you can conclude that I am NOT an Elgrand 'Top-Table Socialite'- there will be no Elgrand Club Rallies, Elgrand pictures, Elgrand picnics, Elgrand parades or car shows for my old girl. She is a 22 year old work-horse...is that so bad?

As an Engineer I do not even consider using garages when I am perfectly capable of investigating and doing the work. As there are no workshop manuals / wiring diagrams readily available, I do have to use the internet when I have a problem that I can not solve readily myself ( usually with my MK1 eyeballs and experience). True, I have used other older Elgrand Technical forums in the historical past but have also contributed to their knowledge-base with my own experiences and researched technical findings when I have something really useful to pass on.

Fee for full membership ( = access to Technical) - It is highly unlikely that I will ever naturally make 10 Social posts - let alone 10 every year - what a complete waste of time and energy - that is just not what I do with my time. So its the paid membership option then...but then why pay AND contribute information due to my lack of a social life / event calendar to boast about?

That I should even contemplate writing ten meaningless "hurrah Henry", "Pat on the back", "What a lovely drive...", "nice pub/resaurant...," "great garage service..." , "well done you.." typical posts with more Elgrand related images just in order to freely use (and contribute) to the Club Technical information 'treasure chest' is absurd. I thought you were concerned about excess traffic and lack of bandwidth!

If its the Technical Information that you feel is being "used and abused" why encourage Social posting as a qualification? Why not make the qualification 10 Technical posts and let the Social 'posters' + Technical info 'dippers' pay?

Better still have no 'Top-Table' 'Socialite' get outs - no exceptions - just ask everyone to pay a £1 across the board.
Maybe u should post when ur sober,and if u are then perhaps this is not the place for u,I'm just saying what everyone is thinking or wanting to say. Or at the very least think before you type! How can any help to another user be meaningless? If u help just one person then surely that's a great thing! If u don't want to be here then 'don't be here' and if u don't think this resource is worth 25p per week then don't pay it,you're not being forced to by anybody as long as you are willing to help others,Ffs get a grip.....couldn't have fixed half the things I have let alone advised others without this resource

I thought the forum was long since dead, now I know it's here I'll regularly check in. What's everyone using to upload pics? Used to use photobucket years ago until they sacked free hosting off.
If u upgrade then u can post as many pics as u like

Fair enough, I need to make more if an effort, how many posts have I got 😁

Its just a stupid fuckin rule, it pisses me off, so many forums started doing it which led to a decline in new members joining up. That's why I'm no longer admin on any forums or use any forums beside this one..... anyways, like I said, my opinion don't count anyway. Carry on as U were
Is that because of your teddy tantrums???:pmaybe you should start your own forum and then see how much time money and effort it takes to run one. I bet you would be asking for a fee to join after a week. This forum is not asking anything of the sort. We all volunteer our £12 fee as we all appreciate what we get. We are not a " click club either " as others have mentioned. All that crap is over on the dark side called Face book where sad gits live all day ranting about total useless rubbish inbetween watching Jerry bloody Kyle and filling out their benefit forms.

Last edited:
No, not really. But it will after this weekend. If people feel restricted in any way then they will just go elsewhere. ‘‘Tis the nature of it. If you guys had an advertising revenue to cover immediate costs then you could welcome everyone without question, premium membership could then go to the actual club.
Utter rubbish.

How do you know how many posts you've made?

Utter rubbish.
Sorry mate but that's the kind of post that causes upset and devision on a forum. Exactly the thing you are keen to avoid on here. You're a good contributor but try to have a bit more tact in your posts please. Not saying we should all agree all the time but there are ways to express oneself better.

Back