• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

ElgrandOC - FIVE YEARS OLD - Appreciation post (Plenty to read here, grab a cuppa)

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
27th August 2019 marks the 5th anniversary of the ElgrandOC forum.
That is the "official" birthday for the club, although there was a small presence on Facebook for a week or so before.
Five years!!

ElgrandOC was set up on a whim. It was an experiment. There were 3 forums online when I bought my Elgrand. An Australian based site. There was the Elgrand Collective and also the Elgrand Ning forum (Ning was a web based platform).
The Aussie site was open, and a great source of info, but did not accept new members. Both the Collective and Ning platforms were locked down, and getting access to the forums involved jumping through hoops (3 page registration form, a telephone interview and payment up front before you could even get in to say hello).
Based on the lack of "community" feel... I decided to set up ElgrandOC. A free, open to all, one stop resource for Elgrand owners across the world.
So then there were four forums. Slowly, as time passed, four became three again, which became two, and then eventually, it became one. Just us.
I'm now sitting here, 5 years later, and looking back at everything we've been through as a club, and appreciating everything we have.

Over 5000 members, an average of 300 users active EVERY day and an average of over 320 posts EVERY day.

We are now the ONLY remaining Elgrand forum. I've been told so many times over the last 5 years that the forum would die because Facebook is taking over and ruining car clubs. Well, ElgrandOC has proved that this is not the case. The reason forums have died is lack of drive, lack of ambition, and lack of interest from members. And this is where we start to get into the appreciation side of this post.

Every single member of ElgrandOC has helped to bring us where we are today. Whether you are a registered member or a premium member, it doesn't matter. Just being here and using the forum, asking questions, chatting to one another... all of that has helped to make ElgrandOC stand out in the crowd. We have achieved growth and strength in a time where other forums have been dying due to social media.
I love seeing posts from new members thanking the community for being so friendly and welcoming. Every single one of you who just welcomes a new member has played a VITAL role in ensuring the growth of the club. You have welcomed a new member, made them feel like part of the family, and allowed them to fully engage with the rest of the community without hesitation.

I know there are still a lot of members here who have either just joined or been here for a while but still feel anxious about posting. But I know from speaking privately to members who do get stuck in, that diving in head first and understanding just how strong the community spirit is within the club, that goes a long way to getting you involved. We have an amazing collection of personalities within the club, and it warms my heart seeing people enjoying banter, sharing laughs, and leaning on each other for support when they need to.

The one thing that upsets me is hearing the odd comments about certain groups of members being "cliquey". I never understood this because no one who has ever joined the forum has been purposefully made to feel unwelcome. We love getting new people in, new personalities, and new experiences. If anyone feels that there are "cliques" within the club, and you feel that you struggle to get involved, drop me a PM and we'll have a chat about it. I can wholeheartedly say that the clique you believe is there, is not, and all it's going to take is your participation. I will include a link at the end of this post regarding social anxiety and it's effects on meets and events, but I am becoming increasingly aware that this also applies to people posting within the forum. If you don't feel comfortable posting, but you are desperately wanting to join in, as I said, drop me a PM and we'll have a chat about it. I'm more than willing to spare any time I have to help members of this club. Getting you engaging with the rest of the community helps the club to flourish. We need you to be a part of that. Every single one of you.

I know there are people here who don't want to be a part of the community, and just want to get help with their vehicles etc. That's fine. I 100% appreciate that. But, just as a word of wisdom, more people will be willing to help those they are bonded with. Having that conversation with others, getting your name known, and integrating yourself with the community will help you in any situation where you need help. That is what a community is about. Helping out. I'm not saying you won't get help if you don't join in with conversation, but it's human nature to be more helpful to people you know. Example, if you pass a broken down car on your drive to work, would you stop to help? Most likely not, you don't want to be late. If you passed a family member or friend... that decision process would be very different. This is not about being cliquey, this is just human nature.

So once again. Thank you. Yes you. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Thank you for being here. Thank you for being a member of ElgrandOC and playing a big part in helping the club to be exactly what it is. I know the 10 post rule rubs some people up the wrong way, but 99% of members appreciate it. And of the 1% who disagree with it... they start to understand it once they've got into it and start to understand how the community works.

We are ElgrandOC. We are united by a love for a car. A strange thing, but wonderful that it has brought so many people together for the better. Some of my best friends I've made in this club, and I make new close friends every year. I know that other members feel and have experienced the same. You get back what you put in.
Live long ElgrandOC.

Once again, thank you all. Your participation no matter how big or small has helped to make EOC exactly what it is.
Meets and Social Anxiety

This should be “thank you” Karl.
Without this forum we would not all have the enjoyment we do here.
Also without this forum I would not have bought an Elgrand. I spent several weeks lurking in the background before I did. It was the fact that there is an active forum that convinced me I was doing the right thing and there would be support available for parts and problems

What time does the birthday party start and who’s providing beer. 😂

Bet you didnt have a five year plan...ha ha ha I’ve been here for three of those years ,,, where does the time go... happy birthday to the OC ... always have time to chat to new n old members I’ve been helped so much in the past and I’ve helped others too.. that’s how this club works and it works fantastic..long live the OC

I would like everyone to raise there glasses.... @Karl
And Thank Karl and all the staff for there dedicated passion and commitment to this 'Fantastic one stop shop/forum for all Elgrand owners Worldwide' thankyou for your vision and time Guys... Much appreciated!

🍰🎂 HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY Elgrand OC 🎂🍰👍👍👍

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, ElgrandOC, you are awesome!!!!

I've been a member of the forum for just over a year now and nearly had my van on the road for a whole year. In that time, I've quadrupled my usual yearly mileage and met loads of great people along the way at meets and events.

The EOC forum and its members have inspired me (a couch potato (and the same shape)) to get out there and meet people, I hope some new members are inspired enough to do the same :)

Thanks to everyone who was involved in starting this forum and all those who keep it going :)

Happy birthday elgrandoc, you are only as good as your members.... And they are f😁😁#ing awesome, met loads of great people and most willing to go that extra mile. Well done keep it up 👌👏👏👏

Thanks for the EOC Karl , you appreciate us all & we appreciate you for setting it all up
HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂 😊

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(6).jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images(6).jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 22
Happy birthday to the EOC and a big thanks to @Karl and all the staff for 5 years of graft, and all the members for there help and contributions. Fun place to be and takes away a lot of stress should anything go wrong. To 5 more years 🍻

Thanks to all the admin and to Karl for having the imagination to set this all up, I know it's hard work for the team to keep on top of things but also know it's appreciated by all, I've met some great people at meets and am sure I will meet more, I've gathered invaluable info that's got me out of trouble with my van several times, I've been here 18 months or so and can't imagine being without this resource now and the guys n gals that are here. Feels like one massive family. Happy birthday EOC and many many more...

A great success and round of applause for Karl for getting this started. From knowing nothing about the Elgrand to all the ins and outs due to the input from other members. Has been priceless.
I know when I'm looking at info for others cars I usually end up on a forum thread from 5 plus yrs ago proving the fact ithe forums are dying. I can't keep up with daily posts on this forum It's expanding that fast.

Keep up the good work

Happy Birthday 🥳

@Karl - well done mate

Big shout out to all the admin who keep this place what it is.

Big well done to all the regulars and new for making this a great place to share knowledge and make new friends.

🤪

My sincere thanks to Karl and all the background staff for their dedication to making OC the great success that it is .
As a newbie premium member , and still very raw with my Elgrand , but delighted with its proformance and ride also the tips and advice gained by reading the forum . At 81 years young still struggling with the high tec world hence not posting as much as I would like . Once again a Big Thank You to Karl , Staff , and of course all Elgrandoc members .
TWP .

Happy Birthday. 🎂

I 'think' when people say 'cliquey' they mean members have 'in-jokes' and banter etc. And this is true BUT anyone can join in immediately, when I joined I could not believe how active my welcome thread was, jokes started straight away and I could not have been made to feel any more welcome hence why I stayed!

Great forum, great people. Newbies MORE than welcome here.

Back