• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

"Elgrand" - One word with one E

I always find myself typing out Elegrand. Google doesn't seem to mind o_O

Watching some Japanese Elgrand adverts on YouTube (search Nissan Elgrand adverts) and was struck by how 'Elgrand' is pronounced by the voiceover guy at the end of each one through the years. I am sure they are saying it as 'Elgrand-o' . I thought I was imagining it but that's seemed to be what they say, which is weird. Maybe it's a pronunciation thing,not are we all wrong? Below is a link to an example, if it works!

They are quite entertaining to watch though, interesting take on Japanese advertising. Especially the extended adverts which seem to have Americans driving around in an Elgrand and going on picnics and stuff!!

What do people think? Are they saying Elgrando??!!

Hi, having worked with many Japanese many years ago I was told that they do not have the same syllables as we use for the English language therefore their pronunciation occasionally ends up with seemingly added letters.

Regards
Ian

I saw El_Grande used in an email the other day, I didn't bother pointing out they aren't Mexican.

Last edited:
Yep definitely Elgrando :)

In fact, it's more like Erugurandu. There isn't a L or R sound, the same sound that is somewhere in between is used for both. Sort of like pronouncing an R but where you keep the tip of your tongue touching the roof of your mouth.

Google translate app lady says (phonetically) Neesaan Endoogurando

I had forgotten about this thread, it's funny when they reactivate, it's like going back in time!!

They love their power ballads :joy:
Thought it might have been fashionable for the age of the adverts but even the E52 has same theme.

Japanese adverts are way cooler than ours 😂😂 Brilliant 😎

Aren't they just? Who needs boring normal adverts. I love this overly super imposed imagery and power ballads... we need some of this and maybe I'll start watching them!

What have we got? Good old Barry Scott yelling at us that the dirt is gone?! Pah!

What have we got? Good old Barry Scott yelling at us that the dirt is gone?! Pah!
Now I know I'm wasting time instead of doing something...I can't believe I just googled Barry Scott and was disappointed not to be tempted to watch a whole string of his adverts.

PS. Bear in mind I don't have a TV set.

Now I know I'm wasting time instead of doing something...I can't believe I just googled Barry Scott and was disappointed not to be tempted to watch a whole string of his adverts.

PS. Bear in mind I don't have a TV set.

To be fair... I remember Barry Scott from 10+ years ago... and it's the only real advertising campaign that ever stuck in my head. I have a TV... but we usually just watch Netflix or Amazon video so never any adverts. The kids watch Cartoon network... but I pay no attention to any of those adverts :joy:

Back